Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on 12/14 - Post operative health anxiety

Anyone else suffering from anxiety who has recently had sleeve surgery? It has been hard. Not that I've had any major issues (please god) but I'm fixated on any new symptoms and wake up with a feeling of "oh god, how I am going to feel TODAY?"

I'm on anti depressants and have a great surgical team who put up with my constant questions but having health anxiety and dealing with the aftermath of an operation is no fun. Every tiny new sensation opens up a massive pit of worry. I wish I could be more positive and stop focusing so much on how I physically feel.

I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself. And maybe hormones (I'm due my period in around 10 days)

The general anaesthetic really messed with how I felt and I'm so tired as well.

Sorry about the moaning amd groaning but I'm definitely getting buyers remorse about the whole thing...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using BariatricPal mobile app

You're not feeling sorry for yourself. You are just worried about your recovery. My recovery went well, but there were good days and not good days. I wondered what to expect each day as well. As you recover, these fears will ease up as you begin to feel normal again. I'm starting my 6th week post op, and am at 100 percent. You'll be fine.

Many (most?) people have these feelings of buyer's remorse right after surgery. I certainly did! The first few weeks after surgery are the worst because you're still recovering from the surgery itself, maybe in pain, you're extremely limited in what you can eat, adjusting to the huge changes to your life that you've put in motion, and you're not yet seeing the benefits of the weight loss. It all gets better! Just wait a couple of months, and you'll feel better, you'll be able to eat "normal" foods, you'll get used to your new diet and maybe even discover new favorite foods, and you'll see amazing weight loss and all the benefits that come with it.

It's totally normal to worry when you've just gone through a major surgery, but weight loss surgery has a very low complication rate, so chances are that as long as you follow your surgeon's instructions, you will be totally fine and soon be able to enjoy your new life!

1 minute ago, OAGBPal said:

This surgery has all the negatives upfront and all the positives down the line. That’s kinda great, but also the reason why the first weeks post op suck. It’ll get better 🙂

Thats a great post. I pounded that into my own head, as I was pretty worried about the recovery.

Having Depression and Anxiety too, I know what it's like to throw your life a curveball and all of the anxiety. Hang in there. Your body is releasing hormones from the surgery. Keep taking your antidepressants.