Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feelin a little down..

Hey all,<br /> <br /> I'm looking for a little encouragement. I had my surgery one week ago today... I haven't eaten in 3 weeks. My doc is a little more strict, he keeps you on liquids for 4 weeks following surgery, and 2 weeks prior. So I'll be on the liquid diet a total of 6 weeks! A couple people have asked me if I'm glad I did it, there's no way I can answer that right now, it's only been a week, but I'm really hoping i can say yes in a few months. Right now I'm tortured by food commercials, and I have constant churning and rumbling in my tummy, (icky constant diarrhea.. sorry to be graphic) and I'm started to feel really achy, weak, and sore. Somebody please tell me this is the worst of it!!?! <br /> <br /> I'll be graduated to "soft foods" after my 4 week follow up appointment... and then I'll be able to eat 2 oz. of it at a time. (3-5 times a day) I really hope that will be a joy for me and not another small form of torture! haha. After not eating for 6 weeks you would think 2 bites of anything would be satisfying. Can anyone tell me how it was for them? I'm just looking for some advice to get through the holidays!! I just want December to be OVER! <br /> <br /> Thanks.

Well I got to admit that 6 weeks of liquids is really tough but yes this is the hardest part. You are only one week out and things don't look good right now but trust me in one week you will feel like a million bucks.

You may to get creative with your liquids to keep you sane. There are alot of great posts in the "Food" section to help.

I am a month out and feel wonderful. I am also down over 30lbs. since 10/25/07 (preop appt). When you see the weight coming off you will be glad you did it right now is way to soon to be happy about it.

Best of luck .... oh, and you are normal.

you feel exactly like i feel!!! i was banded a week ago tomorrow and am on liquids for 2 weeks..... clear liquids...no Protein Drinks or slim fast...broth .. pop sicles, jello...ugh... and i have the blues too.... i know last night i upset my hubby because i was just plain sad...and hungry... i called the nurse who said to call after a week if i feel hungry...i did....guess what...increase ur liquids... meaning more not better kinds lol ... no cream Soups for me! i know its for the best but when you hear the things they say to you now you think...i could have starved myself for free!!!! i too am not ready to answer did i do the right thing...i am having self doubt! and i didnt need a lap band to follow Atkins which i also said to the nurse about when you start eating.. smaller size portions are what i was looking for...not getting rid of everything i love!! anyway..sorry for the jag...but i'm with you ...hang in there...we can do this!!!! ... one day at a time... one sip at a time... we'll make it... i just right now.... am feeling ..... sad :)

For the diarrhea, take some liquid immodium. It REALLY helps.

As for the food commercials, turn off the tv! Or record what you want to watch, and fast forward thru the commercials!

Hang in there, you're almost there!!!!

Honestly, this time will fly by so quickly--I know it doesn't seem like it now, but soon you will be able to look back and barely remember this time.

I've seen lots of threads where people are saying their surgery was "moved up" here in December and I know why: food is (was) so very important to us during the holidays, people decide to postpone surgery until "after the holidays"!

I had an employee ask me all about the surgery, etc. in mid-November, only to end the conversation by saying "I think I'll wait until after the holidays to look into it"

You have done the right thing--the HARD thing, but the right thing--by taking back control of your life NOW--not "after the holidays".

Hang tough--it's going to be all better soon...! :)

as for me no yummy creamy soups...however ...i appreciate all the info even though the thread is started by someone else.... i feel like she is me too lol.... i hope i can look back and say yes i did the right thing....i just keep reading on how much ppl gave up and i dont want to give up or follow weight watchers or follow Atkins or jenny craig... i want to be normal... make good choices... eat smaller portions...but still once in a while..enjoy...still in mourning i suppose...i just keep looking forward to getting rid of the granny panties lol..thanks all... great pick me ups!!

I had my surgery a week ago today as well. I too am on a 'clear' liquid diet for two weeks then full liquids for two weeks. The description of clear liquid I was given was pretty murky. I am mostly having Water, Vitamin Water, broth, Jello, and popsicles, but I added juice and carnation instant Breakfast in the last couple of days with no problems what-so-ever. I also cheated and had a hot cocoa. Went down smooth, tasted great and was just what I needed to get over a hump.

I guess what I'm saying is that as long as your carefull it might be ok to have a small amount of something 'fuller' to help fill you up and get through these weeks. I'm not saying it's ok to go eat a steak dinner, but maybe a little 'full' liquid will do the trick to keep you going. Just dont over do it.

We were all strong enough to get to where we are today, we are all strong enough to see it through. Together! Buck up kids we'll be on solids before we know it and able to look back at this period and how we accomplished it with pride! (How's that for a try at being motvational?) :whoo:

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. I go through waves of thinking... this is a piece of cake (sorry no pun intended) to feeling like a prisoner of war! O.K.... that might be a stretch... but not eating for this long is definitely a small form of torture.

No, I can't have creamy soups... nor can I have sugar. My doctor doesn't believe in sugar. ;) but I'm sure after all we've gone through... a small treat now and then is well deserved. As long as you don't over do it.

I'm feeling pretty good tonight, but everyday is different. I have read that a lot of people feel much better 2 weeks post op. I sure do hope so... my family feels so guilty eating in front of me. I went with my sister to the movies the other day and she just had to stop at taco bell and eat on the way because she was "starving". haha. Puh-lease!

Thanks again!

Kayla

hey hasta, just wanted to add that today...i am feeling better...it seems that egg drop Soup is on my list of clear broths that i can have... (checked with my nurse) .. if you can have it..go get some...it made all the difference...just the taste of something delicious ...i almost felt guilty lol.... you can even leave the lil bits of egg white in it.... i'm like a different person today...thinking...ok i can do this..till Dec 11th!!! The countdown begins....now dont get me wrong....those moments of thinking of a burgerking whopper still happen...i know thats my fat girl head not my stomach... just a lil advice..try the egg drop soup!!

Hey thanks! I will try that. Is the egg drop Soup something you make? or is it just something you can order at like a teriyaki resterant? I'm noticing that I'm feeling pretty good today...

I wish I had til Dec. 11th! I have to go to Dec. 26th!! woe is me! just kidding... sort of. :) looks like chicken broth on Christmas for me! :)

The one thing I've enjoyed is Vietnamese noodle soup called "pho"... This soup is becoming very popular over here in Washington. (it's kind of like glorified Top Ramen... with noodles and spices and a meat of your choice) I like to drink the broth, it's pretty satisfying... kind of an acquired taste though.

Everyday is a struggle... I've been trying to read books and go to bed early and stop watching the food channel. I just went back to work today, and it was good to be busy to get my mind off of the misery.

On a side note, I'm just so irritated with my doctor's office... I went for my one week follow up appt. today and actually waited for 2 hours! I had to leave to get back to work and did not even see the doctor. This office is suppose to be "the best" in Washington state... and it just seems like they're more concerned with numbers than quality... I'm a little dissapointed in them.

Man I sound like a complainer!! Sorry... I'm usually so upbeat and positive. I want the next 3 weeks to go by so bad!

Thanks for the encouragement... today wasn't all that bad.

Kayla :waytogo:

Hey Kayla,

Be kind to yourself. It is tough and it's O.K. to feel a little irritable while you adjust to the changes. You don't sound like a complainer you sound like a newly banded lap band person! We've been there and guess what for various reasons, at various times, we may be back there!:faint:

Just keep your eye on the prize! You can do it. Think of how easy it will be at the end of this to make good healthy choices.

Continued good luck to you

Val