Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery postponed due to Covid

Very frustrating. Finally made up my mind to move forward with weight loss surgery. Jumped through all of the hoops.Date set for December. Then the hospital canceled all elective surgeries through the end of the year because they need all available beds for Covid patients. The doctors office can't tell me when they will be allowed to start up again. This was devastating news. Like most, I have struggled with my weight all my life. I finally thought I was going to take back control and now it feels hopeless again. I am trying to remain positive and remember that it will happen at some point... Anyone else get postponed or have to wait a significant amount of time before your operation? What did you do during that time?

Sent from my SM-N976U using BariatricPal mobile app

18 minutes ago, shannels said:

Very frustrating. Finally made up my mind to move forward with weight loss surgery. Jumped through all of the hoops.Date set for December. Then the hospital canceled all elective surgeries through the end of the year because they need all available beds for Covid patients. The doctors office can't tell me when they will be allowed to start up again. This was devastating news. Like most, I have struggled with my weight all my life. I finally thought I was going to take back control and now it feels hopeless again. I am trying to remain positive and remember that it will happen at some point... Anyone else get postponed or have to wait a significant amount of time before your operation? What did you do during that time?

That has been my worst fear! It happened to me in March... so in the interim, I was just kind of in a holding pattern. I didn't really make any changes, which was perhaps a poor decision. I spent my time with my kids, went on an amazing vacation, and just put it on the back burner. I finally got back in to see my doc in Oct, and surgery is on Monday. I've been hoping that they don't get cancelled again... and from a news release that the hospitals in my town put out, they aren't going to cancel currently scheduled surgeries, but alluded to the fact that they may not be scheduling any more, or soon will cancel them.

Oh I'm so sorry you've been delayed. Please hang in there and be patient and keep eating like you're still on the pre-op diet or post-op diet focusing on your Protein and Water intake. Avoid carbs. Don't let this delay discourage you into poor eating habits. It'll happen.

1 hour ago, shannels said:

Hi Shannels! Hang in there.....I know the frustration. I started my process in March, had all my tests done by June, and they said maybe September or October (due to Covid) and finally it happened November 4. Just keep yourself healthy and Covid free and it will be here before ya realize.

I was scheduled for April, then covid postponed elective surgeries. I ended up having it done in June, so a two month delay. But when they finally called to reschedule, it was two weeks from the call so I had to scramble to prepare and start the pre-op diet.

So sorry, that's got to be seriously disappointing. I had my knee replaced in August and I was worried I might get postponed but I was right in that little lull period for COVID-19. I hope they are able to get you in sooner rather than later.

I was scheduled the 25th of November for bypass and it was cancelled yesterday. With the way things are going I can’t imagine it will happen this year and I can’t afford to pay my max out of pocket again, so this may be the end of the road for me. I wish you serious luck!!!

2 hours ago, It's time. said:

I was scheduled for April, then covid postponed elective surgeries. I ended up having it done in June, so a two month delay. But when they finally called to reschedule, it was two weeks from the call so I had to scramble to prepare and start the pre-op diet.

Yes when they called me, I too had to scramble to get ready as well. Oh well, at least it’s over now.......now the work is beginning!

My surgery was postponed 2x for Covid. It was supposed to be April 2020 then June 2020. Finally got it September 1st. It was frustrating. Hang in there it will happen. Try to stay focused, it will be worth it.

17 hours ago, Changingmylife2020 said:

My surgery was postponed 2x for Covid. It was supposed to be April 2020 then June 2020. Finally got it September 1st. It was frustrating. Hang in there it will happen. Try to stay focused, it will be worth it.

Thanks so much! I’m trying! How are things going with you and your weight loss? You having yours done before me, I jwondered what it’s like on regular food now? Can you tell me what a normal day of eating is like for you? Are you on a schedule pretty much? Do you still weigh your foods or are you guesstimating? Are you still losing like before, or maybe more?

Well food is doing ok. I am rarely hungry and have to make an effort to eat. Problem for me is I am used to drinking while I eat...which does not work. I immediately throw up. I am getting better by not having a drink near me while I eat. Then wait 30 minutes before drinking and small amount often after that).

Breakfast (8-9am) is usually a Premier Protein shake made in to a smoothie with banana or strawberry (so much better than plain and stays cold). Or Greek yogurt and a cheese stick.

Lunch(12-1) small chicken salad or shredded chicken with a little lite mayo and almonds or hamburger patty (no bun) with pickles

Dinner(5-6pm) beef roast or chicken with small salad or veggie

Snacks (11 or 3) is usually fresh fruit, yogurt or mixed nuts.

Protein is 65-85 day Calories 600-800

Every meal less than 1 cup. I am consistently losing about 15lb month right now. Little to no exercise (in a wheel chair). I am ok with slow and steady. Hope that helps. 😃

I did not have a date, but saw my first surgeon in March. Since I was self pay, it should have been quick to get my surgery date, but then COVID happened and the hospital stopped elective surgeries and procedures. I had been scheduled for my endoscopy March 29th, and it was canceled. I finally got the endoscopy in May, but the hospital let a bunch of people, including my surgeon go because of COVID. So I decided to go to a different surgeon and hospital. I finally got my surgery on July 23rd. Covid was picking up again then and I was sure it would be postponed, but it happened.
I feel your frustration. This is such a hard decision to make and when you finally do, you're so ready to get it done. I really hope your hospital resumes elective surgeries asap. I know it's so disappointing to have to wait!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

That happened to me to. They called me on July 10 to tell me I was scheduled for July 23rd and I had to start my preop diet July 11th. It was a whirlwind!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all for the responses and support. I know it will happen, I just wish I had some way of knowing when. After reading a lot of posts, I realize many people have had to wait months and months and jump through far more hoops than I have had to. I too am a self pay, and the process actually went very fast - roughly 6 weeks from consult to surgery - had it happened. I plan to work hard and maintain a super healthy lifestyle until they call me in. My hope is that it lessens the shock post surgery, and who knows, maybe I will drop a bunch of this excess weight and have a great head start!