Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance 1+ years post-sleeve

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could please provide their feedback whether they feel it is easier to maintain their weight loss post-sleeve, or if it is just as difficult? In reading the posts from many different members, it is difficult to tell what to expect in terms of hunger and restriction 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5+ years out. Are you able to eat the same amount as before your sleeve? Do you experience the same level of ravenous hunger as before your sleeve? I would primarily be getting the sleeve as a tool to help me stay on a diet of 1000-1300 calories per day for the rest of my life, and just want to get clarity about this. Are my expectations reasonable, if I was really disciplined about sticking to foods that are high protein/low carb/low fat?

Thanks for all of your informative and helpful responses and feedback, I appreciate it so much!! :) :)

I'm an RNY patient, not VSG, but this should be similar. I"m five years out. I could NEVER maintain a weight loss pre-surgery, and now I can - although it IS a challenge. I get hungry, yes. I'm not sure if it's at ravenous as before because before I often ate when I wasn't hungry (although I still do that sometimes now, unfortunately).

I averaged 3000+ calories a day pre-surgery. No way in hell could I eat that much now. I can maintain my weight if I stay in the 1500-1700 calorie/day range, but that's a very individual thing - your range could be more or less that that, depending on several different factors.

I could easily eat 2000 calories a day, but i don't do that very often because my weight will start going up if I have too many days like that. There have been a handful of times - like on holidays - when I've really pigged out and eaten maybe 2500 calories, but I feel miserable after I eat that many.

thank you, @catwoman7!! That is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear! I expect that I will be like you in my post-op nutrition, and for the most part religiously adhere to low carb/high protein/low fat diet around 1200 cal per day with occasional slip-ups at holidays; but the problem is that in the past, I could manage to do that for maybe a few days, and then suddenly I wanted to eat my arm off!!! LOL! In the past, restriction always wound up causing me enormous hunger, because my body was freaking out about the lack of calories - even though my BMR is low and my daily caloric needs are in that 1200 calorie range. If I can keep the restriction in the future, I am hopeful that I would be good to go forever!

thanks again for your feedback, and congratulations on your lasting weight loss and new health! That is amazing!! 😍🤩

Yes, the surgery is a tool and the degree of success you have & can maintain is up to you & your willingness & commitment to make the changes.(Sorry that’s for the lecture.) I compare it to buying a gym membership. If you don’t actually go to the gym & use the equipment, how can you expect to get any fitter or stronger.

Some days I feel hungry & others I don’t but it’s not a ‘oh my god I have to eat something now’ hunger. It’s more a gentle ‘oh, it must be lunch time‘ hunger. From the age of about 13, I often skipped meals to try to manage my weight (doing more harm than good) & rarely had that ravenous feeling some do.

Though my portion sizes are larger now at 14months post surgery, they’re still not large about 1-1.5 cups depending on what I’m eating (lettuce is a slider for me so I can eat a good cup of it alone) and less than a food’s recommended serving size.

Though my Protein serves are definitely larger now, it does depend on the day so I try for 80-100g at night. (Interestingly, I eat way more protein now than I ever did before.) I don’t count calories but do consider calorific content when making food choices & am careful about portion size. I’m sticking to a high protein low carb diet too & am very routine about when & what I eat.

My restriction is still pretty active but I find eating slowly allows me to consume the larger portion sizes I need to eat now to maintain. A fast meal is a good 20mins but I aim for 30+. Fifty mins is pretty common. I’m in the sweet spot at the moment though because my metabolism is fast (first time in 42yrs). It will slow again at some time & I’ll have to modify my routines. I expect I’ll be making modifications forever because we’re not static & neither is life.

The challenge is finding what works for you. It’s a juggling act of food, exercise & life & trying to find the balance where you can live your life and be happy & healthy.

Good luck.

thank you, @Arabesque! 🤗

I’m almost 2 years out, my restriction is less, but it’s still there, I can eat more but I keep track of everything I eat and when I’m really hungry I make better choices. Due to my age, 59, I have to watch my calories very closely. I stay between 1350-1550 with an occasional outlier. I also use a Fitbit and stay active, if I wasn’t active I would have to stick to 1300 a day.

My past 6 months have been very consistent.

CA3401C9-3233-47DA-ACD7-6022CDBC736C.png

thank you, @Cheeseburgh! Great job maintaining your weight loss! My BMR is like yours, in the lower range. At age 48, I really have to keep an eye on intake too.