Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One port, two ports, three ports, four....

Thank you Kathy. Odd, but my doctor said we could take any of those. I'll be re evaluating that question with him next time I see him. Glad I've only taken 1 motrin in 8 weeks.

Per Lisa and Penni: The reply to the NSAIDS issue is as follows. It's not just NSAIDS that we should be concerned about. It's any stomach irritant medication which can include NSAIDS. Some of the docs approve them for a limited period of time but you should NEVER EVER take them after that time frame. Stomach Irritants can and do cause concerns as far as Ulcer development. Just check with your doctor again Pat and make sure he is aware of the risk of erosion with long term use in band patients. I know who are we to remind a doc of his job. Well, we are his paycheck that is who. Some doctors will or could tell you that they might not cause erosion. Just use common sense.

Some common ones are Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen which is the main ingredient in the previous two.

Ulcer issue: This should be thoroughly discussed and explored with your band surgeon. It is a concern to be addresses. Ulcers can cause erosion if not caught in time. As far as treating an ulcer you can do this but again you must be followed closely. The drug that Lisa is starting on is Pepcid, which is a common drug used to treat ulcers with patients that aren't banded. This can be got over the counter. There are other drugs used to treat ulcers it just depends on the severity of your diagnosis. Can't stress enough to check with your doctor and be your own advocate for the care you deserve. Some people on here have mentioned taking Pepcid and I wonder if this was suggested for an ulcer related condition or some other complaint.

Port fills before removal: The Great and Powerful BILLY said this was a "NO NO". And think about this, Lisa mentioned in her post that getting a fill before a port removal would be risky because what if you were overfilled and then needed another surgery to put a port in and remove the fill then take the port back out. SHESH!! Is it really worth that? And by the way, Billy had this happen to a patient he took care of. And one more thing about BILLY, how can it be that one single surgeon has seen 3 cases (his words) identical to Lisa's and the several of the other doctors (we all know who they are) have not seen one or better yet not reported one.

OK, like everyone else, I am shocked that they never did a culture. Actually I'm angry. I'm glad you are getting competent medical care at last. I must admit that all along I was wondering about the rejection theory. It just didn't sound right to me. And it definitely didn't sound right that a surgeon would think you are rejecting a port and then put in another port, "knowing" you would reject that one too.

Heal up, girl. You need to get well at last.

Nancy

Vera, your cell phone message was such a tear jerker. I love you bunches. Thank you so much.

Guys, thank you for all your support and well wishes. I am just glad that we finally got Lisa to see Billy and he took care of her wound. I knew if we could ever get her to see him it would be resolved. WHOO HOO!!

I'm having Penni post some stuff for me cuz it's hard mustering up the courage to talk about my situation. Penni is amazing. Lord knows how or why the girl puts up with me, but she's treated me better than anyone ever has. She had a romantic weekend planned with John, but they insisted on cancelling to take care of me instead. My brother and sister live nearby and could have taken me, but Penni insisted. And, it's JOHN's BIRTHDAY today, but instead of celebrating they spent the day caring for me. I even bruised the heck out of Penni's hand cuz she made me squeeze it when they couldn't find a vein for the IV (they stuck me lots of times in 3 places.) Through all the pain and emotion (and let me tell you, my last pain was nothing compared to this), Penni somehow made it a fun and damn silly time. I'd try to cry but she'd make me laugh. She tried to stay with me all day, but my surgery was delayed 6 hours so I made her go home. Before she left, she went to the gift shop and bought me plushie stuffed animals just like Voodoo and Sachi (my fur babies) to keep me company. But she showed up right before I went into OR, and Dr. Billy was kind enough to let her stay in the surgery room till the last minute. She sent "a driver" to pick me up at the airport, so a guy in a suit was holding up a card with my name when I landed. She's driven me back and forth to the hospital twice and is taking me there and back tomorrow, an hour each way. She bought me bandages and is changing my dressing (sorry, Darcy.) Michelle is right, there are really angels among us. Thank you everyone for the nice words to Nurse Penni Money. And Vera, Penni let me hear the message you left her, and we both cried together.

Boy, I better make a deposit into the good kharma bank real soon. Anyone need a favor or 97?

FINALLY you got the help you needed. Dr. Billy sounds like a fantastic Dr. and I am so glad he took such good care of you. You deserve it!

It really sounds like he is an angel and exactly what you need to get you healed up finally.

Can I ask what homework he gave you? I'm on a recommittment to my band journey at the moment. Did he say anything that really hit home that all of us might benefit from?

Thanks for the NSAIDs info...I hate Tylenol but it's a small price to pay.

Reading everything that Penni and John have done for you is wonderful. I'm so glad she has been there for you through all of this. I'm sure there are times when you don't feel you deserve her help and love, but you do, Lisa. And Penni knows that you'll be there for her too. That's what true friends do for each other. You two are so lucky to have found each other.

Feel better soon...

Megan

Megan, I killed Penni, she's exhausted so I gotta get off their puter so we can all sleep. But warning, you've opened a huge can of worms asking about our homework. We will each reply tomorrow. Get out your reading glasses. Peace, baby!

P.S. Have a Number 2 pencil and a spiral notebook handy... college ruled.

Thanks for all the info guys, tg I don't use too many pills, just a baby asprin and thyroid med. I will be speaking with my doctor and showing him this article.

Good luck again.

Lisa, I am so glad that you have finally seen a "real" doctor who knew what he was doing. Thank you Penni for taking care of our buddy. God Bless you both, and I just know brighter days are coming now.

I am so glad you have some answers. And thank god for that angel in your life.

Take care thinking of you,

It sounds to me like Penni IS your angel! :D Now all you have to do is listen to her! lol

I have my pencil and paper ready!

Lisa - please let us know how it goes today when you go back to the doctor. What are we going to do now with TWO ladies drooling over the same doctor????