Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Type Ii Diabetes

Hi, I have just recently started researching lapband and was wondering how the banding has affected those of you with type II diabetes. I have been on pills for type II for about 5 years now.

First, welcome to lapbandtalk :wave:

I had to squint to read your post lol! Getting older is hard! :(

I don't have type II...BUT my friend does and I JUST took her to a seminar last night! She's been contemplating lapband since I got mine back in June. ANYWAY, after seeing my success, she finally called me and asked me to go with her to the seminar...

OK...my point now...at the seminar (I never attended one) my surgeon said that RNY bypass had better initial results on type II diabetics...allowing many of them to leave the hospital on NO medication! He went on to say, that MOST type II diabetics do well with lapband too...it's just may take a little longer to get the desired affect. The reason? Because with RNY sugar get's 'dumped' (I am over simplifying). With lapband, there is no change to the digesional tract, so there is no malabsorption. Therefore, sugar is metabolized the same as it was before, with the band.

Hope that helps...I'd strongly advise going to a free seminar, where you can ask questions. I wish I had gone to one...it would have answered A LOT of questions that I didn't get answered until I was well into the insurance process :(

Best wishes to ya!

I was diagnosed wtih type II diabetes as a result of my pre-op testing. I was put on a small dose of Glimiperide for it. Doc was not too concerned since he knew I was having the surgery soon. After surgery, I had to monitor my blood sugar levels to make sure that they were not dropping too low due to eating less. I went from taking whole pill (4mg) daily to a half daily to only on days when I ate someting high in carbs/sugar (which werent that many). Today, I am not taking anyting and my last A1C was fine. Have not taken any meds in past three months. I still monitor and see my endocrinologist though to make sure it is still on track.

My morning blood sugar levels have been anywhere from

120-145 since around 2000. Since my lap band , my average is around 96. I have so much more energy and I sleep better. The lap band is the best thing Ive ever done for my self.

Thank you all for your input. I can't imagine having the RNY, seems too drastic. I am planning on going to a seminar, just not sure which one yet.

I love this site. I feel Home.

I have type II diabetics and sleeo apnea.

I am taking half of my medication and my sugar went from an average of 240 to an average of 100.

I also do not have to use my Cpap machine to sleep at night.

I also walk 6 days a week for at least 3 miles sometimes more.

Lapband has really helped me with my type II diabetes. Was diagnosed around 8 years ago and had increased my meds to 5 over the years....would have my diabetes in control for 6 months and then would have to add another med.

-was on 5 metformin per day

-1 pill of glimerpiride per day

-1 pill of avandia per day

-2 injections of 10 units of Byetta per day

-1 injection of 35 units of Lantus per day

plus 1 med for high blood pressure, 1 med for cholestral

had my surgery and now take 3 metformin per day, 1/2 avandia and 8 units of Lantus.

-am off the cholestral med, and next doctor visit, might go off the Lantus.

Was paying between $250-300 a month for co-pays for meds plus the supplies and hope to get off most if not all.

My diabetes doctor has 12 patients besides me that had the lapband and ALL are off meds for diabetes and sleep apnea.

This is the only thing that helped me and is a lifesaver.

Good luck on your journey!

SuzyGayle,

I am so happy for you. I can't believe how soon after banding the need for meds is reduced.

I take 2 meds for diabetes, 2 for high blood pressure, 1 for cholesterol, 1 thyroid and paxil for panic attacks.

The thought of not having to rely on all of these meds to live normal is a wonderful thing.

Good luck.

Hi, I have just recently started researching lapband and was wondering how the banding has affected those of you with type II diabetes. I have been on pills for type II for about 5 years now.

I was diagnosed this time last year; and was horrified. I was 'outed' with my TII during the pre-testing for my band. I'm now on 75% LESS meds (Metformin) than I was pre-band. My doc is certain that with more weightloss, I'll be off meds completely.

Jack???

I am so glad someone asked this question! I just saw my Endocrinologist

Tuesday and he told me it is FINE that I have stopped all of my Diabetes (Type II) medications! I stopped taking them before lapband surgery on August 13 and hope to NEVER have to take them again! All that finger sticking and giving myself two injections of Byetta (not insulin) a day and taking Avandamet twice a day, which has metformin in it which gave me the s**ts like you wouldn't believe, are all gone now! YEA!!!! I've also been able to go off the cholesterol med (Zocor) and am looking forward to getting off some of the bp meds! Plus, I can go up and down the stairs at home like a normal person instead of one foot on the step and then the other foot on the same step, and I don't have any pain what-so-ever and I don't hear hardly any crackling in my knees! My hip joints have stopped hurting, too! There are other things that I could go on and on about, but you really only asked about the Diabetes meds so I'll cut this off now. Good luck on your lapband journey! Lynn :P

:whoo: :D :clap2: