Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OVERWHELMED January Bandster!

I am so overwhelmed today! I went to my seminar 11/3, 1st appt on 11/9 included exam, dietician, phych testing & evaluation. They required bloodwork (did last week) & a stress test and that would be it. They gave me my schedule that day for the Pre-op Education Class, Pre & Post Surgery Appt, Surgery Date,Post-op Education Class and my 1st fill. I'm fine with all this and prepared to be able to take the time off so as not to be away too much from the office and not raise suspicion.

Yesterday, I get a "Pre Surgery" Packet in the mail with all the instructions of what has to be done the week prior to my appt with surgeon. More blood & urine tests, EKG, complete physical & chest xray and all the week before Christmas. Today the cardiologist called to reschedule my stress test that same week! I'm just like "how am I going to do all this?" more time off work to explain AND they told me at the office visit that most people go home the same day and NOW the paperwork says "be prepared to stay in hospital 2 days"! I'm self pay.......was not planning on that. I'm doubting myself today, my decision, can I do all this and can I do everything I need to do AFTER my band! I'm overwhelmed, tense, stressed (if they did my stress test right now I wouldn't even need to get on a treadmill!)....and I bought a Body Bugg and they keep calling & emailing me for my free couching session and I haven't even had time to wear it yet...........AND I'm supposed to lose 15 lbs before surgery.......had to TELL SOMEBODY!:omg:

My Dad always told me "if you're going to say something bad....say something good too"....................I'm thinking...................................

got it! I did my Christmas shopping early and only have to wrap it. I must have done that for a reason. That's as good as I can do today.

Thanks for listening...........I REALLY needed to get that off my chest.

Carol

I'm sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed right now. I know that's probably a lot to handle right now, especially so close to the holidays, the holidays in itself can be extremely stressful. You can do this, I know it seems crazy right now but it'll all calm down after it's over with and I think you'll be happy you did it. Just try to take some time to relax this weekend if you can, it'll be alright! :)

Hi Carol, we are going to be banded the same day! Yes it has definitely all been happening for you hasn't it? I understand completely how overwhelmed you feel - I had to go to my final appt with the surgeon in the midst of writing a presentation for uni for the following day, working on my final assignment, waiting to find out if I had won my job back again for next year and trying to schedule when my new kitchen should get put in. YUCK. Anyhow apart from the surgery all the others are over and done with, got the job back, kitchen in, presentation over and assignment submitted!! Phew. Enjoy your weekend! All the best with the surgery. Do you have to do a very low calorie diet before at all? I have to go on Optifast for the two weeks before.

Hi Hilary, wow you had quite a week yourself! I'm glad it all worked out. Don't you just amaze yourself sometimes?

You know, I was so embarrassed the next day when I read my post. But I had to spill it to move on and I'm wanting to keep the surgery quiet for now, so I came here to let loose. I went to bed that night really early and woke up to a new day, knowing that I can and will do whatever it takes to see this through. Nothing I know I can't handle.

Jan 10th will certainly be a special day for us both. My doctor's diet requirements are so easy compared to everything I've read here. Light Breakfast the day before surgery, Clear Liquids the rest of the day and a clean out (can't remember the name of the laxative) and lots of Water. Nothing after 6:00 PM and I have to be at the hospital at 6:00 AM.

Best of luck to you. I'd love to keep track of your journey!

You have a great weekend too! You deserve it after all that!

Carol

Wow, you do have an easy pre opt. I am doing one liquid meal a day now, just to get ready, and then I want to do 2 a day by the end of December, so that on January 7 when I have to go all liquid I can do it.

I can't believe they will keep you in the hospital for 2 days.

I had mine done in day surgery and was home in 3 hours.

Can you talk to your doctor and tell him that you are a self pay and can't afford a long hospital stay? It really isn't necessary to stay in the hospital that long, in my opinion.

Yes let's keep track of how we are both doing. I will have two nights in hospital also. Arrive midday first day, op later in afternoon, that evening and following day starting liquids then third day have ultrasound I think. So far the weekend is fanrastic!!

When I went to my seminar I understood there would be an overnight stay. However when the office called to confirm my surgery date, Jan. 14, she said to be prepared to be off 1-2 weeks! I purposely scheduled my surgery around the long President's week-end so I would have less time off from work. I had foot surgery last Christmas and know that sometimes things don't always work out; I ended up off work an extra two weeks, but I am determined to be back at work on Jan. 22. They may be preparing you for a worst case scenario. I have doubts too but look at a photo of myself and realize that I need to do whatever it takes to get this weight off. You've got Christmas taken care of so breathe deeply and try to relax.

well I think you are fantastic 'luvrocks'!and i love your positive note at the end! Heres something for you to think about....I am DYING to be banded(hopefully March) but there isnt anyone in Ireland doing it.There WAS an outfit in Dublin doing it but no evaluations,support groups etc-just in for the night,banded,sent home(180 miles) and fills done by inexperienced people.However they have everything on hold at the moment as the Dr there is being investigated by the medical council.AND it costs 10,000EURO!!! so honey,go with the flow,thanks your lucky stars they are so organised,to hell with the office,Christmas will be there next year and so will you in your gorgeous new body! Do it for yourself sister!!!!

My pre-op is different from yours. All tests done early (completed by 11/25) with operation date 1/17/08. I don't have to do anything till then except maintain (or continue to lose) weight. I've lost 25 lbs pre-op and MUST maintain that. You can lose the pounds pre-op. I did it by taking one or two Protein Drink Meal Replacements and a high Protein, low cal, small portion meal once a day. It's also extremely important to exercise. I'm doing 40 minutes a day on a treadmill (2 mi. per session). It's working. I found that using an ipod type device with very peppy music makes the treadmill session go much faster and keeps my pace up. Good luck....you can do it!

luvsrocks, glad to hear you are less stressed out. Don't be embarrassed, that's what LBT is here for, support. In good times and stressful times. These few weeks are crunch time for me as well. I had the nutrition meeting on fri. Was supposed to have psych eval Friday too, but dr. called to reschedule because of unforeseen issues. So now it's tomorrow (sunday). Tonight (sat.) is my sleep study!

Then in two weeks I have pre-admission testing and medical clearance appt. with my PCP and then my final appt. with my surgeon. All of this is happening while I am a full time student with papers, projects and finals coming up.

Since I have decided not to tell anyone (as of right now) outside my parents and siblings and none of my friends know, it's been interesting hiding it all from them. That's also adding a tad of stress trying to make sure they don't know what's going on. Even though I could say I have a Dr. appt. on such and such a day, my friends would be somewhat suspicious if I let them know that I have 6 Dr. appointments within a few weeks span.

It seems that every doctor has their own protocol for pre-op tests and diets, hospital stay, post-op diet etc. In regards to the diet, I have no pre-op diet (i put myself of low carb to lose weight). All I have to do is stop eating by 9pm(maybe even 12) the night before surgery. Maybe I'll start a thread just for us Jan. bandsters to compare and discuss pre-op requirements.

Hi all! Thanks for your support & responses. I'm thankful for this site & thankful for all of you! I will take it all as it comes & deal with it.

Bless you all!

Penny2 - how frustrating for you! We all have to stop sometimes and recognize our blessings. I hope you'll find a center you are comfortable with soon. All of us sisters have to stick together, right? Keep us informed. Sorry I don't have any knowledge of your area. Best wishes.

My pre-op is different from yours. All tests done early (completed by 11/25) with operation date 1/17/08. I don't have to do anything till then except maintain (or continue to lose) weight. I've lost 25 lbs pre-op and MUST maintain that. You can lose the pounds pre-op. I did it by taking one or two Protein drink meal replacements and a high Protein, low cal, small portion meal once a day. It's also extremely important to exercise. I'm doing 40 minutes a day on a treadmill (2 mi. per session). It's working. I found that using an ipod type device with very peppy music makes the treadmill session go much faster and keeps my pace up. Good luck....you can do it!

Bobbi, thank you for the pep talk! I know I can do it, but I am still in my old mode......I need to move on and get the weight off & START exercising. I love it when I do it, but never stick to it. I'll try some peppy music. Thanks so much. Best wishes to you on the 17th!

Carol