Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long have you had your band and are you still happy?

How long have you had your band, are you still happy with it, any probs so far  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long have you had your band, are you still happy with it, any probs so far

• 0 - 1year
    • 1 - 3years
    • 3- 5years
    • 5 - 7years
    • 7 - 9years
    • 10years +
    • Yes, I am totally happy with it
    • No, I wish I hadn't done it
    • Yes, I have had problems
    • No problems with my band to date

I just got banded on 10/16/07 and I not problems. My Dr. let me know that when I get to goal weight that he could remove all the saline and have OCC in the band. Has it been difficult to maintain your weight?

I'll just assume you are asking me! LOL.

It's not hard for me to maintain with an empty band, but I am an odd duck, and my surgeon had yet to see anyone like me who needed their fill out to put the brakes on.

I have been without a fill for about a year now, and have found maintaining without it pretty easy. But I am not normal (never have been, why start now, right? :)) and the vast majority of people need something in their bands to maintain the weight loss.

I have had my band for 1 year and 8 months. The first year was wonderful. The only problem I had that first year was when my port flipped and I had revision surgery, which was a very simple, minor procedure.

The last 8 months have been rough, but all to my own doing, really. I have basically been gaining and losing the same 10 pounds. I had some problems with being overfilled. So I had an unfill. Then I got filled again. I still didn't feel great. Unfortunately, my husband was working on commission and work fell off. The money wasn't coming in and my one year of free visits was over. I simply did not have the cash to see the doctor, and my insurance doesn't cover my band. So, it was so bad, the only way I could keep anything down was to drink something that was literally scalding hot first. Even then, it was hit and miss. But, ice cream went down well. I wasn't even an ice cream eater before the band, but it became my best friend over the past 8 months. Finally, my hubby got a new job with guaranteed income. I went and saw my doctor last month. I had managed to really irritate my esophagus from pb'ing so much. He did a complete unfill. And, when he found out I had gone that way for months due to finances, he showed me what a wonderful doctor he is by refusing to accept payment from me. He said to never allow finances to stand in the way of my health again, that my health is what is most important to him.

Tomorrow morning, I am going to see him for a fill under flouro. He wants to make sure my band is completely ok. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is fine, because honestly, I love my band. It is the only sucessful mechanism I have found for losing weight. And, I can't wait to get back on track again.

So, basically, yes, I love my band and do not regret having it done one bit.

I have really mixed feelings about this. I am banded, at goal, and happy about being at goal. But if I had it to do over again I'd choose a sleeve.

I'm not anti-band by any means! But the port pain, potential for port infections, band infections, erosion, slips, etc... I am very unsure why I didn't choose a sleeve.

At the time of banding I wanted something I could reverse. Today I question why that was so important. Did I ever want to regain? Go back to being morbidly obese? NO! I wanted permanent and the band doesn't necessarily mean that. A sleeve does. But I'm also not sure I was ready for "forever" and needed a way out. I *really* needed a way out in case it didn't work.

Banding DID work for me, it DOES work for me. But I wish I chose forever. If I had it to do over again it would be a sleeve.

Banded 4 yr ago and still happy, a little trouble with acid refux

but wouldn't change anthying. I Have lost 128 lbs , am below

goal weight and very happy.i would rather live with heartburn than with all what weight.

Ok - I'm gonna ask (please forgive my ignorance)

WASABB - I looked at the link and I still don't know which one is the sleeve. It doesn't use that terminology and from the sound of it I don't see anything that I would have visualized the sleeve being.

I too wanted adjustable and reversable - we never know what life will bring us later on. I don't want to be old and not be able to get nutrition when I need it and in my mind the band alleviates that issue.

wombat :)

I had the lapband surgery over 3 months ago. I am 3 quarters full and I have only lost 6 pounds since surgery. I can only get one more fill until the band is full. I am not hopefull about losing weight. I don't have restrictions that keep my food in a small pouch. It all passes through. I am soooooooooo disappointed and wonder why it isn't working for me.

Dimples68 - I wanted to let you know that I didn't have restriction until I reached 3.8cc's in my 4cc band. I thought I needed just a tad bit more, so I went in for another fill, he filled me to 4.0ccs and I was way too tight, could not swallow my own saliva. Ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration.

My point is, don't get discouraged because you feel like your 3/4 full, sometimes just .2cc's makes a world of difference. For me, .2cc's closed me completely, I should have only got .1 cc or 1/2 cc and I would've had perfect restriction. But because of the dehdration, and the constant PBing when I was overfilled, I got swollen and they had to drop me back to 3.0ccs until I recovered. I'm now waiting on another fill and have 0 restriction again. So just hang in there, it takes a lot of patience to get to the restriction level, it took me 7 fills.

Dimples68 - I wanted to let you know that I didn't have restriction until I reached 3.8cc's in my 4cc band. I thought I needed just a tad bit more, so I went in for another fill, he filled me to 4.0ccs and I was way too tight, could not swallow my own saliva. Ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration.

My point is, don't get discouraged because you feel like your 3/4 full, sometimes just .2cc's makes a world of difference. For me, .2cc's closed me completely, I should have only got .1 cc or 1/2 cc and I would've had perfect restriction. But because of the dehdration, and the constant PBing when I was overfilled, I got swollen and they had to drop me back to 3.0ccs until I recovered. I'm now waiting on another fill and have 0 restriction again. So just hang in there, it takes a lot of patience to get to the restriction level, it took me 7 fills.

I'm so happy to see this post!! I was banded on April 3rd 2007, and I've only lost 34 pounds. I REALLY have been feeling like I am the ONLY person in the world that the band doesn't work for. People that know I had surgery, keep asking why I haven't lost faster. It's FRUSTRATING!! When I go for fills, they are generally pretty small, but I can see the barium NOT moving, and he has to pull a little out to let it through. Then I get home and have NO restriction!!!

I'm at 2.25cc's right now. Do you think most people have to get closer to the high end (4cc's) or 10 depending on band size? My cousin has gotten below goal, but she SWEARS that she didn't really lose a lot until she got up to 3.6cc's. She also says that the first year she didn't lose as much as the 2nd year. Anybody else with any comments on the subject?

Thanks!

Donna

People that know I had surgery, keep asking why I haven't lost faster. It's FRUSTRATING!! When I go for fills, they are generally pretty small, but I can see the barium NOT moving, and he has to pull a little out to let it through. Then I get home and have NO restriction!!!

I'm at 2.25cc's right now. Do you think most people have to get closer to the high end (4cc's) or 10 depending on band size? My cousin has gotten below goal, but she SWEARS that she didn't really lose a lot until she got up to 3.6cc's. She also says that the first year she didn't lose as much as the 2nd year. Anybody else with any comments on the subject?

Thanks!

Donna

Donna - personally I don't think there is a set number of cc's that people need to get to. I think everyone is different.

For me, I lost a lot of the weight in the beginning, but I really tried, I actually dieted and exercised HARD. I ate NOTHING bad. I measured all my food, etc. So, I feel I did the work. The band did help me a little.

I was trying to find the story of the lady who did not start losing until after 9 months, when she finally reached restriction, but haven't been able to find it yet, if I do, I'll post the link.

I know some feel great restriciton at barely anything, but for me, it takes a lot. I'm at 3.0 and have 0. Or so I think, but I still can't eat as much as I did pre-band, so I must have some.

Another reason I didn't tell people about my surgery is because I didn't want people asking, how much have you lost everyday. I know it gets frustrating, just stay on top of your fills.

I would have restriction too when I left the doc's office and I could see the barium stuff sitting there too, but by the afternoon, I would lose all my restriction. My doc said its because my stomach swells, or spasms out and so now he takes it very slow, has me sit for a little then looks at it. I think this has helped because the last few fills I've felt more restriction than ever.

I would just stay on top of your fills and try and make the best choices in eating and you will get there. Another thing we have to remember its not a race, but a life long commitment to get healthy. The beauty of the band is it will work longer than 1 year or a few months, we can continue using this tool for life.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to PM me if you have other questions and don't want to post it all here. You can also review my journal and can see how I had restriction,then didn't etc. I try and keep track of everything in my journal.

Ok - I'm gonna ask (please forgive my ignorance)

WASABB - I looked at the link and I still don't know which one is the sleeve. It doesn't use that terminology and from the sound of it I don't see anything that I would have visualized the sleeve being.

I too wanted adjustable and reversable - we never know what life will bring us later on. I don't want to be old and not be able to get nutrition when I need it and in my mind the band alleviates that issue.

wombat :eek:

Here is some more info on the sleeve over at obesityhelp.com.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG) - Home

I had the lapband surgery over 3 months ago. I am 3 quarters full and I have only lost 6 pounds since surgery. I can only get one more fill until the band is full. I am not hopefull about losing weight. I don't have restrictions that keep my food in a small pouch. It all passes through. I am soooooooooo disappointed and wonder why it isn't working for me.

Dimples,

I am so sorry to hear how hard it has been for you. I am not yet banded and I was wondering if your doctor required you to come in and get an MRI or Cat Scan or something to see if the band was in position, the tubing is still connected okay, and what is happening inside? I hope they can work with you medically if things need adjusted.

BTW - was wondering how they can tell how much fill is in the band other than to keep track of how much saline they say they've injected, i.e. is it possible the saline is leaking out and they can't tell it?

14 months out and 140ish pounds down. would be more, but it's all my fault it's not... :eek:

only thing that irks me sometimes is the restriction level on one day vs another... but its how my body works, not the actual band.

The poll on this thread is all wrong as far as percentages, you can't vote on 2 seperate issues on one poll??? Just thought it should be noted.