Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be having surgery on march 24 and i am starting to get nervous. and i have to get off night shift it has not worked for me thus far when it comes to helping me lose weight i just have to put me first and not stress about it so much i just don't want to i love my night shift crew what do i do

I think it would be a good thing for you to be able combat the real world by staying with your night shifts, honestly. Day shift co-workers can be just as bad and you will find food almost anywhere you go (going out with friends, celebrating with family, etc..) and those are the moments you have to practice sheer will-power (and come prepared).

I am not sure what the current issue for you is, but first thing first, make sure you are tracking your calories and macros. I use MyFitnessPal and plan for what I am going to eat the day prior, so I don't find myself in a situation where I have to come up with something on the spot (since it's rare that I ever do that successfully).

If your weight loss efforts aren't going well during night shifts and its because you are used to snacking all night, replace those Snacks with healthy alternatives in portioned amounts. Make sure you are packing your own lunch. Be mindful of what you are eating. If a co-worker asks if you want something from McDonalds, you'll be able to say "no thanks, I brought something from home". It's a new way of living for us, where we have to be able to handle what's gonna be thrown at us.

that is really good advice thank you and no matter what i do or where i go food will always be there i needed to hear that

Edited by Learning2loveTina

Absolutely! It's not easy, but most things worth something aren't, right? You got this!

Screw the run approach - Stay on night shift you enjoy the people! My advice is you are about to go on a journey and it will have some speed bumps! The last thing i would do is switch your shift when it appears you are enjoying the co workers and atmosphere.

You go into this with a mind set of I GOT THIS ............ food will not be that much of a concern after the surgery, Just stay on your plan to get healthy and fit! The mental games are rough in the begining so i would advise you to stay with what you like and get rid of the FOOD obsession. F@#ck FOOD you do not need it to be happy you do not need it to heal emotions, you just need a little bit to fuel the body!

I worked what was termed the grave yard shift (12 midnight to 8AM) for many years. The food that I ate was food that I sought. There was really nothing healthy or good to be found at that time. After having WLS you will seek better food choices than you did pre WLS. You will in all probability bring your own foods with you. It takes a different breed of person to work the night shift that's why we bond so well with them. Don't worry about the food after your surgery you'll see it in a different light.

I might suggest taking a look at the long term effects of night shift. Just something to consider. Night shifters have higher cancer rates, higher glucose and cholesterol levels, and gain more weight. I have watched my co-workers on night shift gain more and more over the years, and it's not just from the snacking and food. The circadian rhythms are really strong forces in our biology and although short term night shifting might be necessary for a while, long term night shifting is quite detrimental to long term health. Just something for you to consider.

I've been on days for the last couple of years and just switched to midnights at the end of January. My revision surgery was Feb 3rd. There are not great food choices eating out in general but even less on nights. You have to really pack your lunch and healthy Snacks. I live by myfitnesspal. You can even pack your food at home and enter everything in to make sure the macros are where you want them and adjust accordingly. I also personally think it's easier when your co-workers know the journey you're on so they don't try to temp you with unhealthy choices. I don't understand how people don't tell their co-workers and family what they're going through. They can either support you or get out of your way. I don't think it's any harder working nights then going to days if nights make you happy. It's all about your choices and how dedicated you are.

I toyed with leaving night shift for a while for this very reason. But honestly, it all comes down to choices I made when putting food into my body. Period. The shift worked won’t change that. I enjoy night shift and hope to never have to work during days again.