Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian cookbook recommendations



Recommended Posts

I've looked at the reviews for a lot of the popular Whole food Plant Based books, and many of them fall short in different ways. However..... I am absolutely in LOVE with a magazine I just bought: "Forks over Knives" "63 tasty, healthy recipes." It says that it is on display until 3/6/2020. I think I bought it in a grocery store or maybe even Walmart. The color photos are great, the recipes are really good, the ingredients are not too exotic, and it has a great variety. I am making a new dish every day from this magazine. (The actual Forks over Knives Cookbook you can buy on Amazon had some negative reviews that seemed pretty valid.) But this magazine is great. I will definitely buy the next issue as well.

I am gluten free and dairy free, as well, and I find that a lot of vegetarian cookbooks/recipes just don't work for me. Plus, there is the bariatric angle. This magazine is chock full of very adaptable recipes. I can substitute GF ingredients quite easily, and for low carb, you just need to avoid the Pasta recipes. (I don't worry about the pasta or grains anymore, as I am in maintenance and have a hard enough time keeping my weight on right now. )There are no macros listed, as WFPB relies on the overall, healthy nutritional value of the food, rather than calculating macros. I do, however, calculate the calories and Protein in each recipe I make, just to give me the confidence that I am on track bari wise.

Anyway, pick up an issue. Price was $9.99 and worth every penny. You could probably also get it online. The sub title is "Winter's Best Soups" and has a picture of a bowl of Soup on the cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On at , AZhiker said:



I've looked at the reviews for a lot of the popular Whole food Plant Based books, and many of them fall short in different ways. However..... I am absolutely in LOVE with a magazine I just bought: "Forks over Knives" "63 tasty, healthy recipes." It says that it is on display until 3/6/2020. I think I bought it in a grocery store or maybe even Walmart. The color photos are great, the recipes are really good, the ingredients are not too exotic, and it has a great variety. I am making a new dish every day from this magazine. (The actual Forks over Knives Cookbook you can buy on Amazon had some negative reviews that seemed pretty valid.) But this magazine is great. I will definitely buy the next issue as well.




I am gluten free and dairy free, as well, and I find that a lot of vegetarian cookbooks/recipes just don't work for me. Plus, there is the bariatric angle. This magazine is chock full of very adaptable recipes. I can substitute GF ingredients quite easily, and for low carb, you just need to avoid the Pasta recipes. (I don't worry about the Pasta or grains anymore, as I am in maintenance and have a hard enough time keeping my weight on right now. )There are no macros listed, as WFPB relies on the overall, healthy nutritional value of the food, rather than calculating macros. I do, however, calculate the calories and Protein in each recipe I make, just to give me the confidence that I am on track bari wise.




Anyway, pick up an issue. Price was $9.99 and worth every penny. You could probably also get it online. The sub title is "Winter's Best Soups" and has a picture of a bowl of Soup on the cover.


Thanks @AZhiker - will check that out! Do you find you can still hit Protein goals from that? I recently had surgery and the protein piece is a struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cagnolino said:

Thanks @AZhiker - will check that out! Do you find you can still hit Protein goals from that? I recently had surgery and the Protein piece is a struggle.

Absolutely. Protein is not even an issue at all. With whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, it works just fine. I use tofu, tempeh, and oatmilk based yogurt which has as much protein as soy milk. I usually have a yogurt/berry/granola bowl in the evening, and to be on the safe side, I add some Protein Powder. I also add protein powder to any smoothie. I feel so good and have so much energy. I finished a 50 mile bike race last month and was not even sore afterwards. I think there is less inflammation and less lactic acid with a plant based diet. Go on You Tube and watch "The Game Changers." It is pretty impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On at , AZhiker said:






Absolutely. Protein is not even an issue at all. With whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, it works just fine. I use tofu, tempeh, and oatmilk based yogurt which has as much protein as soy milk. I usually have a yogurt/berry/granola bowl in the evening, and to be on the safe side, I add some Protein Powder. I also add protein powder to any smoothie. I feel so good and have so much energy. I finished a 50 mile bike race last month and was not even sore afterwards. I think there is less inflammation and less lactic acid with a plant based diet. Go on You Tube and watch "The Game Changers." It is pretty impressive.


Thank you! That’s really great to hear. I’ll check it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 120% recommend two cookbooks you wont have heard of! But are on book depository and VERY popular here in new zealand where i live! One is VEGFUL by nadia lim - and it lists full nutrition and calorie content of all meals and ways to adapt the recipes to make them plant based. The other is the RAW SISTERS cookbook by margo and rosa Flanagan. Again kiwi chefs bringing the wholefood health.

Vegful is an exceptionally easy book, with fast easy recipes.

20200125_222243.jpg

20200125_222257.jpg

20200125_222313.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also this guy, whos instagram also features plant foods aplenty. Hes australian.

Ive just realised you asked fot bariatric cookbooks.. to be honest i own zero bariatric books and just track macros myself!!

20200125_222416.jpg

Edited by Lyndor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"How not to Die" Cookbook/ Michael Greger, MD. Whole food plant based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im vegetarian because of my belief in Karma...... its all down to self discipline..... Its not as hard as you think..... other than learning what foods you cant eat....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, cagnolino said:

Anyone have recommendations for vegetarian Bariatric cookbooks? Thanks in advance!

If you look at the Whole food Plant Based forum you will see a ton of resources and cookbooks. Personally, as a bariatric patient I don't have any problem at all adjusting plant based recipes. In fact, I don't think I adjust anything except to avoid gluten. Most whole food plant based (WFPB) recipes rely on legumes, whole grains, and lots of veggies. That fits my Bariatric Eating plan just fine. I have no problem getting in enough Protein.

The only limitation I have as a bariatric patient is that my volume restriction is sometimes an issue if I am exercising heavily. On those days, I add some more concentrated items like "Think Thin" bars which are plant based and have enough protein/carb calories to keep me going, but without a lot of volume.

Edited by AZhiker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JaleovexCax said:

Im vegetarian because of my belief in Karma...... its all down to self discipline..... Its not as hard as you think..... other than learning what foods you cant eat....

I am plant based because of the health benefits. I find it to be very easy, as I am NEVER hungry with so much to eat. For me, it's not about learning what I can't eat, but more about trying to eat all the stuff I should in a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • zombierayvinn

      I am now 10 days post op and I am down 16lbs. I had an allergic reaction to the glue my doctor used so I am still sore and trying to keep moving to not get stiff. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Tory Myers

        Hello congratulations on your new journey I am 5 days post op and still trying to get the hang of things. I’m supposed to return back to work in a few days but still sore as well. Do you have any advice for me being 5 days post opt?

    • Tabatha529

      Hello,  I am brand new on here. 
      The doctor qualified me yesterday for the surgery, so now I have to take 12 weeks of education classes and then he said they will schedule the surgery 4-6 weeks after I complete the classes. 
      I am excited to start this new journey.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Anki

      Am at the half-way mark of the six month pre-op program.  So excited!  Got clearance from psychologist this morning, so I scheduled my surgery consult for early March.  It is becoming more real now.  Have lost 18 pounds so far, since I began this journey on 12/18/19.  
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      So months ago, the Kid thought it would be funny to create an account on here and troll me with it.  Figured out it was her a few days later, and had a laugh about it.  She's been trolling me on it ever since.
      This morning I went on to post something and realized after the fact that I posted using her account as she was on my laptop last night 🙄
      Trolling over, Kid.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      I think i just spent the entire morning plus a couple more hours on here.
      My name is ms.sss and I am a BP forums-aholic.
      · 2 replies
      1. MarvelGirl25

        Lol I know the feeling!

      2. Lindamup

        Here is an overview of the writing services.
        This program is presented to familiarize with the best custom writing services.
        In one of these services you can get help with any kind of assignment - from a high school essay to a PhD dissertation.
        Download GooglePlay: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bestcustomwritingservices.app
        Download: https://bit.ly/32kPKrT

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×