Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian cookbook recommendations

I've looked at the reviews for a lot of the popular Whole food Plant Based books, and many of them fall short in different ways. However..... I am absolutely in LOVE with a magazine I just bought: "Forks over Knives" "63 tasty, healthy recipes." It says that it is on display until 3/6/2020. I think I bought it in a grocery store or maybe even Walmart. The color photos are great, the recipes are really good, the ingredients are not too exotic, and it has a great variety. I am making a new dish every day from this magazine. (The actual Forks over Knives Cookbook you can buy on Amazon had some negative reviews that seemed pretty valid.) But this magazine is great. I will definitely buy the next issue as well.

I am gluten free and dairy free, as well, and I find that a lot of vegetarian cookbooks/recipes just don't work for me. Plus, there is the bariatric angle. This magazine is chock full of very adaptable recipes. I can substitute GF ingredients quite easily, and for low carb, you just need to avoid the Pasta recipes. (I don't worry about the pasta or grains anymore, as I am in maintenance and have a hard enough time keeping my weight on right now. )There are no macros listed, as WFPB relies on the overall, healthy nutritional value of the food, rather than calculating macros. I do, however, calculate the calories and Protein in each recipe I make, just to give me the confidence that I am on track bari wise.

Anyway, pick up an issue. Price was $9.99 and worth every penny. You could probably also get it online. The sub title is "Winter's Best Soups" and has a picture of a bowl of Soup on the cover.

On at , AZhiker said:

I've looked at the reviews for a lot of the popular Whole food Plant Based books, and many of them fall short in different ways. However..... I am absolutely in LOVE with a magazine I just bought: "Forks over Knives" "63 tasty, healthy recipes." It says that it is on display until 3/6/2020. I think I bought it in a grocery store or maybe even Walmart. The color photos are great, the recipes are really good, the ingredients are not too exotic, and it has a great variety. I am making a new dish every day from this magazine. (The actual Forks over Knives Cookbook you can buy on Amazon had some negative reviews that seemed pretty valid.) But this magazine is great. I will definitely buy the next issue as well.

I am gluten free and dairy free, as well, and I find that a lot of vegetarian cookbooks/recipes just don't work for me. Plus, there is the bariatric angle. This magazine is chock full of very adaptable recipes. I can substitute GF ingredients quite easily, and for low carb, you just need to avoid the Pasta recipes. (I don't worry about the Pasta or grains anymore, as I am in maintenance and have a hard enough time keeping my weight on right now. )There are no macros listed, as WFPB relies on the overall, healthy nutritional value of the food, rather than calculating macros. I do, however, calculate the calories and Protein in each recipe I make, just to give me the confidence that I am on track bari wise.

Anyway, pick up an issue. Price was $9.99 and worth every penny. You could probably also get it online. The sub title is "Winter's Best Soups" and has a picture of a bowl of Soup on the cover.

Thanks @AZhiker - will check that out! Do you find you can still hit Protein goals from that? I recently had surgery and the protein piece is a struggle.

1 hour ago, cagnolino said:

Thanks @AZhiker - will check that out! Do you find you can still hit Protein goals from that? I recently had surgery and the Protein piece is a struggle.

Absolutely. Protein is not even an issue at all. With whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, it works just fine. I use tofu, tempeh, and oatmilk based yogurt which has as much protein as soy milk. I usually have a yogurt/berry/granola bowl in the evening, and to be on the safe side, I add some Protein Powder. I also add protein powder to any smoothie. I feel so good and have so much energy. I finished a 50 mile bike race last month and was not even sore afterwards. I think there is less inflammation and less lactic acid with a plant based diet. Go on You Tube and watch "The Game Changers." It is pretty impressive.

On at , AZhiker said:

Absolutely. Protein is not even an issue at all. With whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, it works just fine. I use tofu, tempeh, and oatmilk based yogurt which has as much protein as soy milk. I usually have a yogurt/berry/granola bowl in the evening, and to be on the safe side, I add some Protein Powder. I also add protein powder to any smoothie. I feel so good and have so much energy. I finished a 50 mile bike race last month and was not even sore afterwards. I think there is less inflammation and less lactic acid with a plant based diet. Go on You Tube and watch "The Game Changers." It is pretty impressive.

Thank you! That’s really great to hear. I’ll check it out!

I 120% recommend two cookbooks you wont have heard of! But are on book depository and VERY popular here in new zealand where i live! One is VEGFUL by nadia lim - and it lists full nutrition and calorie content of all meals and ways to adapt the recipes to make them plant based. The other is the RAW SISTERS cookbook by margo and rosa Flanagan. Again kiwi chefs bringing the wholefood health.

Vegful is an exceptionally easy book, with fast easy recipes.

20200125_222243.jpg

20200125_222257.jpg

20200125_222313.jpg

Also this guy, whos instagram also features plant foods aplenty. Hes australian.

Ive just realised you asked fot bariatric cookbooks.. to be honest i own zero bariatric books and just track macros myself!!

20200125_222416.jpg

Edited by Lyndor

"How not to Die" Cookbook/ Michael Greger, MD. Whole food plant based.