Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you take CBD products before surgery (no vaping)

Hi All -

I saw on one forum (not sure which, I'm on so may now), but I know some of you seem very knowledgeable (like Fluffy Chick). I haven't tried CBD oil at all yet, but I wanted to (I have anxiety and take xanax, but I want off and know not to mix the two). My sisters and I are going away this weekend and they have ingestible CBD oil and CBD oil face masks. Is it safe/ok to use before surgery? Someone said you can get rejected for surgery if you take CBD and I don't want to do anything to mess it up. I won't see any docs again until the week of 9/30, but I'll call them if I have to.

I also know the person who said this is trying to quit smoking and they vape CBD - the doc probably wants them to stop smoking all substances, which is why they may have said CBD is not ok to take. Anyone know the answer on this?

I don't think it is wise to come off the Xanax without your Dr's support and definitely not before surgery on your own.

Are you managing your anxiety well now and have you been on it long?

It's a benzodiazepine so likely you will have to be weaned off it, due to the withdrawal effects and as a nurse, I would strongly recommend you speak to the Dr that started you on it and discuss coming off it with them.

Absolutely do not have CBD oil in any form with it. You can, however, have a plan of action to use CBD oil after you are off it to help with your anxiety.

I had it in drop form, 2 drops under the tongue 3x a day, it was pretty good and there was definitely a calming/relaxing side effect. I stopped buying it because it is so expensive and wasn't really helping my back pain.

Just do it all the 'right' way, yeah, to stay safe and also not jeopardise your op. :)

Hi!

I take prescription Xanax and have tried CBD. CBD didn't help me or many of my friends with anxiety. I don't think a facemask would help at all, you'd have to ingest it. Since you've never taken it before, I don't think now's a good time to start.

They gave me something when I got to the hospital that made me so Jello that I don't really remember going in for surgery and getting anesthesia.

Just my opinion, of course. I wouldn't start with it now, when you are going to get blood drawn, etc. CBD laws vary state by state and it's still illegal in some states.

Why can't you keep taking Xanax? I'm dependent on it, so they even put it in my drip at the hospital so I wouldn't get withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by JessLess
word usage

14 minutes ago, JessLess said:

Hi!

I take prescription Xanax and have tried CBD. CBD didn't help me or many of my friends with anxiety. I don't think a facemask would help at all, you'd have to inject it. Since you've never taken it before, I don't think now's a good time to start.

They gave me something when I got to the hospital that made me so Jello that I don't really remember going in for surgery and getting anesthesia.

Just my opinion, of course. I wouldn't start with it now, when you are going to get blood drawn, etc. CBD laws vary state by state and it's still illegal in some states.

Why can't you keep taking Xanax? I'm dependent on it, so they even put it in my drip at the hospital so I wouldn't get withdrawal symptoms.

Ir doesn't need to be injected it is absorbed very well through the mucosa and even through the skin :) Hence it being in so many forms. Best absorption is to inhale or under the tongue, hence people vaping or using the drops.

11 minutes ago, Bastian said:

Ir doesn't need to be injected it is absorbed very well through the mucosa and even through the skin :) Hence it being in so many forms. Best absorption is to inhale or under the tongue, hence people vaping or using the drops.

Oooh, yeah. I meant ingest not inject!! Good to know. I've tried it in a stick on my back and it didn't do anything for me. Of course, I'm sure it works well for other people.

pah ha sausage fingers like me!! :D I am forever making typo's it drives me mad!

Yeah some people swear by it, it just didn't help my pain at all sadly! I spent a lot of money on getting super good stuff too :56_anguished:

I wasn't intending on stopping the xanax yet, I am being tapered off under dr. supervision. I was asking about the mask form because I know a mask was purchased for me with CBD in it and that it can be absorbed into the body. I was only asking because I don't know if you're allowed to have CBD in your system, at all, before surgery. The post I saw by a person in some forum made me question that, and I don't want anything to hinder me getting the surgery or being denied.

If anyone knows the answer there, let me know. Thanks! :)

Why not ask your surgeon's office?

6 minutes ago, Cherylmilla said:

I wasn't intending on stopping the xanax yet, I am being tapered off under dr. supervision. I was asking about the mask form because I know a mask was purchased for me with CBD in it and that it can be absorbed into the body. I was only asking because I don't know if you're allowed to have CBD in your system, at all, before surgery. The post I saw by a person in some forum made me question that, and I don't want anything to hinder me getting the surgery or being denied.

If anyone knows the answer there, let me know. Thanks! :)

oh haha so sorry i just went straight to nurse mode! yeah what @JessLess said, ring them :)

I could ask. I just decided not to take any CBD. I'm just going to keep using my xanax when needed, as always and not use any products with CBD in it until I see all my docs next week. I was curious about this because I thought it was weird when someone said you couldn't take CBD. I just air on the side of caution.

Thanks all! :)

My classmate had his hernia on his navel operated on. And he then refrained from using CBD oil two weeks before the operation. He wasn't sure that the use of cannabis was prohibited before the operation in which he'd be given general anesthesia. He just stopped using it just in case it didn't cause any complications. Best Oklahoma dispensaries where he buys CBD oil supplies products to many people. I think good pharmacists are working in this company. So you can ask them a question on the hotline if you're very interested or worried about it! Good luck. I hope everything will be fine.

Edited by joelynnpamplin

There is no doubt that cannabis has several positive qualities concerning human health. It is used to relieve pain. It is effective in combating insomnia. It is also used to combat some personality disorders. Unfortunately, cannabis is not omnipotent when we talk about human health. Many diagnoses involve the use of medical drugs, with which, alas, marijuana does not constantly interact well. Such medications include narcotic drugs, including anesthesia, used in surgical procedures. Therefore, you should consult your doctor before taking this product. So, for example, when I had weight loss surgery, I was apprehensive and ready to take my chewable bought on OrganicCBDNugs. But luckily, the doctor was able to reassure me without them.

Edited by Speedy1337
-