Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was told not to lose weight or surgery would get denied.



Recommended Posts

Hi guys!

My Name is Steph, I recently started my journey to have gastric sleeve on December. My BMI is 35 so my doctor told me I can’t lose weight or my insurance will deny my surgery. This is so stressful. I tried to slowly cut off sugars to get started some how, but when I went for my visit (have to do 6 visits as per my insurance) I lost 4 pounds. December seems so far away. Any ideas to get started on my journey but maintaining my actual weight?

Edited by Stephycakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the question is...do you know if your insurance uses your FIRST weigh in from your doc? Or do they use the FINAL weigh in after your pre-op liquid diet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

So the question is...do you know if your insurance uses your FIRST weigh in from your doc? Or do they use the FINAL weigh in after your pre-op liquid diet?

He didn’t specify. If they were to use my initial weight then I shouldn’t worry but he told me not to lose any weight. I’m not really sure how this works 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Stephycakes said:

He didn’t specify. If they were to use my initial weight then I shouldn’t worry but he told me not to lose any weight. I’m not really sure how this works 😞

Call tomorrow and ask them which is used--get it clarified.

I hated that part of the process! ((hugs))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told the same thing for the same reason. I am about three weeks out and just weighed myself today and am down 8 pounds! My boss suggested sugar free ice-cream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lynda486 said:

I was told the same thing for the same reason. I am about three weeks out and just weighed myself today and am down 8 pounds! My boss suggested sugar free ice-cream.

Oh no! When do you have your next appointment? Do you have to gain those 8 pounds before that date? I didn’t realize maintaining the same weight would be so difficult. Smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Stephycakes said:

Hi guys!

My Name is Steph, I recently started my journey to have gastric sleeve on December. My BMI is 35 so my doctor told me I can’t lose weight or my insurance will deny my surgery. This is so stressful. I tried to slowly cut off sugars to get started some how, but when I went for my visit (have to do 6 visits as per my insurance) I lost 4 pounds. December seems so far away. Any ideas to get started on my journey but maintaining my actual weight?

I was in the same situation. I are good. Weighed myself constantly so I didn’t go below the 35 BMI until approved for surgery. The hard part was I wasn’t able to gain weight either. Stay the same or lose very little. Once approval paper is in you should be good to lose weight on the preop diet. I was anyways. I did see someone on here had they were weighed the day of surgery and canceled so make sure you get the requirements from your insurance in writing and ask your surgeon. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Stephycakes said:

He didn’t specify. If they were to use my initial weight then I shouldn’t worry but he told me not to lose any weight. I’m not really sure how this works 😞

They're going to look at your entire progress. I got denied the first time because I lost too much weight...and my bmi was 60. My insurance wanted to see me fail to lose and maintain 10% of my excess weight.

It seems backwards but I wouldn't do anything that would cause you to lose. I'd also drink a ton of Water right before you weigh in lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow so much backwards mentality; you should be so lucky if you can shed any lbs before surgery that doesn't negate all the years you've been obese and suffering!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Stephycakes said:

Oh no! When do you have your next appointment? Do you have to gain those 8 pounds before that date? I didn’t realize maintaining the same weight would be so difficult. Smh

I see them on Sept. 12 and surgery is Sept 16th. I hadn't been weighing myself because I thought I was eating way more that normal. I guess I will try to keep my calories at about 1400 a day, I shouldn't lose at that rate, I hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

I see them on Sept. 12 and surgery is Sept 16th. I hadn't been weighing myself because I thought I was eating way more that normal. I guess I will try to keep my calories at about 1400 a day, I shouldn't lose at that rate, I hope!

You need to be higher. You will lose at anything under 1500 at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank-you! It's tough because I want to eliminate sugar before surgery but that would be difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use this time to enjoy some food funerals. Say goodbye with glee to your favorite junk. Probably terrible advice but hey, that's how I roll. lmao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Jrule

      Any od 63 years old  or older having weight loss surgery or have had weight loss surgery.
       
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • HeBrokeTheChains

      I had surgery on September 27th and I am one of the very blessed ones that have had no pain to speak of besides a couple days of gas pain. I have lost 9 lb since surgery, and I am feeling a little like I should have lost more by now. Is that realistic? Or am I being too fussy?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • QUEEN2021

      Hello everyone.. I had my surgery on Sept 30th 2021.. and it has been an horrible experience to me. I can't hold down fluids or soft food. so much mucus is coming up!! and I'm spitting all day. I'm so sad over this journey. is anyone having this same issue? if so, what are you doing about it. 
      · 1 reply
      1. SleeverSk

        Are you on meds for reflux? If not you should be at this point. If you are already on reflux meds get in touch with your surgeon asap as this is not normal. If fact i would be getting in touch with the surgeon either way. I hope your issue is resolved and you feel better soon

    • Meganator

      Tomorrow is the big day! Getting sleeved in the morning and possibly spending a dark and stormy night in the hospital after. I'm actually excited about that because rain on wedding days and birthdays is considered a sign of good luck- so wouldn't a commitment of re-birth qualify as well?
      Can't wait to see y'all on the other side!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • summerset

      Hope everyone's doing ok so far.
      Incidence numbers are on the raise again and hospitals need to treat more COVID patients again. Looking with some kind of dread towards autumn/winter season. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×