Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

So, I recently went to see Dr. Vadim Gritsus about getting the sleeve done. I currently have Horizon NJ Health through NJ Family Care (medicaid) but I'm being cut off at the end of the month because my income is now over the limit. NJ Family Care suggested purchasing insurance through the Marketplace. That being said, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an insurance plan offered through the marketplace that has a 3 month or less requirement process for bariatric surgery. I've considered quitting my job in order to keep the medicaid but its just too drastic and I'd rather do the right thing and purchase insurance (the insurance through my job doesn't cover bariatric surgery).My BMI is 41 and I've already been told I qualify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fidelis, check if the surgeon and hospital accepts it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, doublepau said:

So, I recently went to see Dr. Vadim Gritsus about getting the sleeve done. I currently have Horizon NJ Health through NJ Family Care (medicaid) but I'm being cut off at the end of the month because my income is now over the limit. NJ Family Care suggested purchasing insurance through the Marketplace. That being said, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an insurance plan offered through the marketplace that has a 3 month or less requirement process for bariatric surgery. I've considered quitting my job in order to keep the medicaid but its just too drastic and I'd rather do the right thing and purchase insurance (the insurance through my job doesn't cover bariatric surgery).My BMI is 41 and I've already been told I qualify.

I'd reduce my hours to keep the medicaid. I have private insurance and i've paid close to $4500 out of pocket so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

I'd reduce my hours to keep the medicaid. I have private insurance and i've paid close to $4500 out of pocket so far.

I am actually considering this. I'm just not sure what they'll ask me for... a paystub? and if so, I won't have on that displays a reduction in hours until next Friday Aug 23rd. I guess I'll call and ask what would be required if I"m expecting my hours to be cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

I'll be paying $4000 just for surgery/ private hospital stay also..

wowww, not including doctors/specialist visits I assume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, doublepau said:

So, I recently went to see Dr. Vadim Gritsus about getting the sleeve done. I currently have Horizon NJ Health through NJ Family Care (medicaid) but I'm being cut off at the end of the month because my income is now over the limit. NJ Family Care suggested purchasing insurance through the Marketplace. That being said, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an insurance plan offered through the marketplace that has a 3 month or less requirement process for bariatric surgery. I've considered quitting my job in order to keep the medicaid but its just too drastic and I'd rather do the right thing and purchase insurance (the insurance through my job doesn't cover bariatric surgery).My BMI is 41 and I've already been told I qualify.

I would definitely speak with hr and see if they would cut your hours so you qualify for now. Unfortunately, the way things work if you pay for insurance you will be using a lot of your pay to cover the premium. Do what you need to do for yourself and your health. I have BCBS thru my husbands union and there actually isn’t a wait period with them anymore. I had very minimal copay. I think around $300 or so not counting the $20 copays here and there for dr. visits. Although, my surgeon had a wait period which actually was good in getting adjusted to the changes. If you find one that covers it check the copays too. Good luck to you, wishing you the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, doublepau said:

I am actually considering this. I'm just not sure what they'll ask me for... a paystub? and if so, I won't have on that displays a reduction in hours until next Friday Aug 23rd. I guess I'll call and ask what would be required if I"m expecting my hours to be cut.

They should also accept a letter from your supervisor saying that your hours have changed. Otherwise it'd be a check stub. A coworker of mine is going through this with her medicaid...she's pregnant and didn't want to lose the coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 3:40 AM, ARMoma45 said:

They should also accept a letter from your supervisor saying that your hours have changed. Otherwise it'd be a check stub. A coworker of mine is going through this with her medicaid...she's pregnant and didn't want to lose the coverage.

Yes! I've already started the process for getting a status review from NJ Family Care. Now I just have to get the letter from my supervisor to speed up the process. Luckily, I spoke to the receptionist at my Dr's office and she said even if I had a (short) lapse in coverage that they would do everything possible to keep my process going as far as weigh-ins etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, doublepau said:

Yes! I've already started the process for getting a status review from NJ Family Care. Now I just have to get the letter from my supervisor to speed up the process. Luckily, I spoke to the receptionist at my Dr's office and she said even if I had a (short) lapse in coverage that they would do everything possible to keep my process going as far as weigh-ins etc.

That's awesome😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×