Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skany Evil Repulsive Patient Coordinators

Oh my gosh. I can't even read this long reply. I cannot imagine typing it. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or creeped out by it!

Aren't you contradicting yourself considering you're a coordinator for Mexican surgeons? It seems that way, anyway. You push Mexico to the point innocent people are relying on your DISHONEST link of nonsense that doesn't include anything negative about traveling to Mexico. By the time people are done reading your "informational" link they may as well pack with excitment to run off to Tijuana because it all sounds awesome. Where's the section about: What to do when your Mexican surgeon doesn't return phone calls? Or what to do when the Federales won't let you through the border. Or what to do when your Mexican surgeon falls off the planet. Patient coordinateor, Mexican advocate, what's the difference what you call it when it's obvious why you're here.

Wasa..I don't think I ever had the opportunity to thank you so I'm going to do it now. I was so scared and confused when I started thinking about this whole process and was soooo lucky to find this site. I have read many of your post and did my own research regarding different topics and found information from other sources that verified information you were posting here. I consider you to be a value to this site and to newbies like myslef.

I considered Mexico shortly until I discovered I would have the cash to self-pay near my own town which is just WAY more convienant for me. I read your thread on on researching Mexician Dr. and I appreciate you sharing you experiances and knowledge with all of us. The fact that you are a nurse (I'm in nursing school) makes me have that much more respect for you and your "tell it like it is" attitude. Thank you!

I had no idea that this was going on and let me say THANK YOU one more time for being a patient advocate. I really believe that you do what you can, the best you can to help us out. No one is perfect but I realllly appreciate those that try and share the TRUTH for no other reason than to help someone else. Not only Wasa but everyone.

Titslereaux- IMHO there is a HUGE difference in trying to make yourself or another Dr. cash and giving people who are strongly considering Mexico information. Wasa went to Mexico and was kind enough to share her experiances there and what she learned with us. I however, having some common sense that I can call my own, did enough reading on this site and elsewhere to know that her experiance and ideas were/are not the only ideas and experiances of people who went to Mexico. I think she has said more than one time in her posts that everyone's experiances will be different and you should do YOUR OWN RESEARCH to make YOUR OWN CHOICE. It is horrible that people who come her have to try to decide before they read something about a Dr. or clinic if it is totally fabricated or twisted.

If you found bad spelling (and i'm sure you did) please forgive me.

Out of site, out of mind. If the bad news isn't listed, that must mean it doesn't exist, right? Getting good information from someone is certainly a great help when researching something so major as going under the knife, but to ONLY post the PROS and balk when anyone mentions that plenty of CONS also exist speaks volume on trying to cover up the truth. It's simple - there are pros and cons going into Mexico, but when members (they are only members, not Gods) jump all over the board to guide people into a dangerous foreign country without adding all the dangers to the link? You can't be that naive... can you?

Cha ching.

Out of site, out of mind. If the bad news isn't listed, that must mean it doesn't exist, right? Getting good information from someone is certainly a great help when researching something so major as going under the knife, but to ONLY post the PROS and balk when anyone mentions that plenty of CONS also exist speaks volume on trying to cover up the truth. It's simple - there are pros and cons going into Mexico, but when members (they are only members, not Gods) jump all over the board to guide people into a dangerous foreign country without adding all the dangers to the link? You can't be that naive... can you?

Cha ching.

If you're talking about WASa, I don't know where you've been, but she's never pushed anyone into having surgey in Mexico. All she's done is advocate that people do their research. Hell, she's even posted about the "armpits" of Mexico, and let people know where the dangerous areas are and what people going to those areas should or shouldn't do (for example, she's posted several times about the police that steal from tourists that approach them in TJ). That isn't "only posting the pros" of going to Mexico. She doesn't exactly mince words when someone is talking about using a surgeon with a bad reputation, either. She doesn't go around telling everyone that every single surgeon in Mexico is above and beyond the quality of American surgeons. She is, however, an intense advocate of patients doing their research, whether they're using American surgeons or Mexican surgeons.

And to be very blunt, if someone gets stuck with a surgeon that doesn't answer their phone calls or follow up with them, that's their own fault for failing to do the necessary research. Stuff like that doesn't exactly stay quiet on the support boards, 'cause people are very loud when they have an experience that they aren't pleased with.

"if someone gets stuck with a surgeon that doesn't answer their phone calls or follow up with them, that's their own fault for failing to do the necessary research"

Sadly, this is very inaccurate.

"if someone gets stuck with a surgeon that doesn't answer their phone calls or follow up with them, that's their own fault for failing to do the necessary research"

Sadly, this is very inaccurate.

I would imagine that it's quite unlikely that, if someone chooses a surgeon that is completely unresponsive to them after surgery, they were the only patients of that particular surgeon that that happened to. So, IMO, unless someone chooses a very obscure surgeon who doesn't have many patients that are active members of a support site, it isn't likely that people wouldn't have seen reports of that type of behavior (or lack there-of, I guess). Of course, it CAN happen, I'm not trying to say that it absolutely doesn't. Sometimes, these things DO happen. But again, IMO, it's not very likely that it would be an isolated incident. And if it isn't an isolated incident, patients are generally going to talk about it and prospective patients would have heard about it.

This is an open forum. It strikes me that Wasa has provided general outlines with respect to this biz of hunting for an off-shore lapband surgeon. She has not been pushing specific lapband mechanic/s nor has she been dissing any others apart from indicating that there are one or two individuals whose statistics with respect to erosion, etc give cause for concern.

Now, LBT is designed to be a support system for those of us who are planning to be banding or who have been banded. This means that we will have happy banders who wish to talk about their successful experiences with their surgeons. We will also, one would hope, have bandsters who have had bad experiences warn the rest of us to stay away from their docs. An additional problem is that we are going to get the kick-back gang posting on this site. This is regrettable but should be no big surprise. It seems to me that Wasa is not part of this group. She has made a point of posting about this practice and has listed a number of suggestions as to how one might properly research one's choice of surgeon. This seems cool to me.

Good point, green! Besides, as with the "picking on the newbies" thread or the "pro-choice/pro-life" thread, or the "xxx-may be offensive" thread or the "Islamobile" thread, if someone is not interested in reading what Wasa has to say, don't read it! Blocking Wasa's posts could also put an end to all of the whining about what she has to say. I believe in working as efficiently as possible, so why not kill two birds with one stone so to speak?

IMO, if I were getting banded thousands of miles away in a foreign country, I would be eternally grateful to people like Wasa who take the time to compile information about various surgeons and their practices--information that could assist me in making an informed decision. I would have found it very helpful to have a list of questions to consider as I gathered information about the various doctors.

Would I base my final decision only on what Wasa contributed? No, I would do my own research and consider a variety of viewpoints and facts. If some people choose to base their decision about where to be banded solely on the basis of cost--it's their body. You very often get what you pay for.

This reminds me of the dark ages when I was one of the "smart" kids in school and got picked on mercilessly. When I was an adult and an awesome teacher, I got picked on mercilessly by my adult colleagues. After decades of being put down, it finally dawned on me that all of the "drama" was fueled by jealousy. Someone who feels they don't "measure up" to someone else, will turn around and do whatever they can to tear that person down. I've watched the same scenarios unfold time after time in the classroom among the children. That's the sort of behavior I've seen in on-line forums as well--let's attack those who have been successful or who tell you something you don't want to hear. The more things change, the more they stay the same. That's human nature--not much we can do about that I guess! :noidea:

I meant that if someone who posts on this site doesn't care to read Wasa's opinion, then they don't have to. The person who doesn't want to read it just has to simply set up a block!

Sorry if I was unclear in my previous post...

If you read titslereaux other posts in other threads they seem cynical as well. It'a a shame that others have to slander the intentions of others which were only meant for good.

the mods/admins can do IP checks and ban IP addresses to keep them out.
Not really. All someone would have to do to get around that is to use an IP proxy service, which you can find online for free. Of course, not everyone realizes that, so it makes it rather entertaining when they do get caught.

All I can say is I am glad my surgeon is 5 min. from my house.

I know that a lot of people have had wonderful experiences with

doctors and surgeries in Mexico, but I feel really lucky that I don't have to research a doctor out of the country.

Thank goodness WasA has done so much research and is so helpful to people who aren't as lucky as me to have their surgeon down the street.

Not really. All someone would have to do to get around that is to use an IP proxy service, which you can find online for free. Of course, not everyone realizes that, so it makes it rather entertaining when they do get caught.

there are hacks for vbulletin that get around that as well.