Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Fill Coming soon but WHY AM I SO HUNGRY?

I had my surgery on the 24th of October. With the pre-op diet and within the first few days after surgery I lost 23 lbs. After about 2 weeks I was on semi-solid/mushy food diet and felt full with significantly less food. Now 4 weeks post-op I gained 5 lbs back and am hungry all the time! PLEASE tell me this is normal and that once I get my fill I will go back to being hardly-ever-hungry and that nothing's wrong with me or my band??? I want to go back to eating a tiny amount and getting full and feeling so good!

Thanks a lot!

Jamie :help:

Yep, it's totally normal. It's a good sign actually, it means your stomach is no longer swollen and is healing. Once you get a fill your hunger should be significantly reduced (like you felt as a new postop).

23 pounds is AMAZING. Most people barely lose anything during this time, so consider yourself that much ahead of the game!!

Jamie,

You and I are in a dead heat in our journey. I was banded 10/18 and dropped 20lbs when I was on liquids. Once I healed, I've been hungry, grazing at night and also regained about five lbs. Still, I'm leveled off right now. But I'm looking forward to my first fill on 11/27 hoping that will provide the restriction I'm looking for.

Lori

Me too. I gained back 7 lbs after healing until my first fill. I haven't gone back to get weighed yet, but I know the fill has sure slowed me down. I was always and I do mean always finished eating before my BF, but now he is always finshed before me. So when we take longer to eat, our brain has the time to register that our tummy is full. I'll be very excited to go back to the doctor's to see what I have lost. He said it should be 8-9 lbs for the first month. (Crossing my fingers) I reamber crying when I got on the scale at his office. I felt like such a failure. He asked me why I was crying and I told him, he said you haven't even had any help (fills) yet that I need to give the process a chance. So that's what I'm doing. All of these physical feelings I'm experiencing are very different for me. It's really making me stop and analyze what I'm putting in my mouth. Stay focused, your help is on the way.

Cindy

It souds as if I wrote all these posts. I was banded 10/29/07 and for the first week or so I was thrilled that such a small amount of food did the trick. But this last week and a half I seem to stay hungry. My bariactric nurse said to hang in until my first fill Dec. 11. So I journal all my food and watch my portions, and eat Protein and Fiber and very little carbs.

Connie

This is very normal. I gained 7 lbs one time in between fills. The fill will help with restriction and hunger. Keep going back for more fills until you get there. Good luck.

Hi Jamie,

We were banded on the same day, and I am having to really be careful about what I put in my mouth.

I lost 17 pounds, however, my first fill is not scheduled until 12-17, and I am worried that I will gain the weight back before the fill.

Keep us posted how your first fill goes! Donna

I had my surgery on the 24th of October. With the pre-op diet and within the first few days after surgery I lost 23 lbs. After about 2 weeks I was on semi-solid/mushy food diet and felt full with significantly less food. Now 4 weeks post-op I gained 5 lbs back and am hungry all the time! PLEASE tell me this is normal and that once I get my fill I will go back to being hardly-ever-hungry and that nothing's wrong with me or my band??? I want to go back to eating a tiny amount and getting full and feeling so good!

Thanks a lot!

Jamie :help:

It's normal.

Your band is getting looser because the fat-pad between the band and the stomach is shrinking, which results in the stoma becoming larger, with less restriction.

My first fill was terrible! I almost fainted. I guess I have a needle phobia that I didn't know of?? I have no problem with shots. Maybe it's the stomach thing - IDK. I just know that my second one is today and I am a little nervous. I can eat too much right now. So I definitely can't wait for that good feeling back of not being hungry! That is the BEST!