Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meeting surgeon for the first time getting anxious

I've been going through the motions and I'm 3 months away from my 12 months cut off so getting excited yet anxious.

Will be seeing surgeon finally In 3 weeks to discuss in depth the whole procedure and I guess finalize a surgery date either 30 sep or 14th October. They only do surgery one day a week here at Ashford Adelaide Australia.

I've been told I may have bloods done but after that I need to see a dietitian to discuss the preop diet and then next time I see surgeon will be on the surgery day and I'll have 2 nights maybe 3 in the private hospital which will be NICE..

If all goes well I'm so excited been researching the procedure for like a year now and choose RNY BYPASS over the others mostly because of my diabetes and high sugar levels but because I need to lose 125+lbs to be healthy bmi but also be fit and healthy for the first time in many years.

I'm single and no kids so I can concentrate on myself 100% and hope that I'll be ready to take control of my life with the help of the bypass tool.

I'm be 35 next month and I want to be a brand new man Well before I'm 40!!!

Then look towards the future to meet someone start a family and pass on all my new found knowledge to my children so they can live healthy lives...

Just felt like giving a little update/vent/rant...

Thanks guys

Mike

Edited by Mikeyy

And I hope things continue to go your way, I've lost over 120 since my surgery, my Dream Goal is less than 25 pounds away. Haven't been seen in bariatric clinic, next scheduled is 14th August, but believe it or not but my primary care wants me to slow down, yeah I said "What?" also. Told me he had thought I should be aiming for 70% of excess weight to be lost, well I am at 68.3 and for some reason he's apprehensive? I still want to aim for my 175 pound goal, that was always my intention anyway. I would be happier at that point would be my belief. Well if my blood labs turn out well, no vitamin/mineral deficiencies , then I'm still aiming there. Last ones I was low in Vitamin D and had an Iron INFUSION to bring up my low level there. Vitamin D I rather expected , we were just coming out winter and I hadn't been exposed to much sunlight. And for some unexplainable reason my local hospital doesn't routinely do iron levels when they draw blood. So I have to have it done at another lab, it's still okay but I really want to see it's okay, normally infusions are quarterly for low iron.
But I am still cheering you on, with your mind set you cannot fail, and I'll take pride is saying I've known him all through his healthier path.

No ECG or psych appointment?

Nope They said they are no nonsense surgery and the blood work is all I've been asked I guess I'll find out at the next meeting.. But I made few calls originally top different surgeries and choose the surgeon with less hurdles on purpose..

There was another one local to me that had multiple other people involved but also added costs...

No history of mental illness and I had Echo CardioGram done few months ago with local Dr.

Ready, steady as You Go! You are closer today than you were all your Yesterdays, make this time truly count!

I've been going through the motions and I'm 3 months away from my 12 months cut off so getting excited yet anxious.
Will be seeing surgeon finally In 3 weeks to discuss in depth the whole procedure and I guess finalize a surgery date either 30 sep or 14th October. They only do surgery one day a week here at Ashford Adelaide Australia.
I've been told I may have bloods done but after that I need to see a dietitian to discuss the preop diet and then next time I see surgeon will be on the surgery day and I'll have 2 nights maybe 3 in the private hospital which will be NICE..
If all goes well I'm so excited been researching the procedure for like a year now and choose RNY BYPASS over the others mostly because of my diabetes and high sugar levels but because I need to lose 125+lbs to be healthy bmi but also be fit and healthy for the first time in many years.
I'm single and no kids so I can concentrate on myself 100% and hope that I'll be ready to take control of my life with the help of the bypass tool.
I'm be 35 next month and I want to be a brand new man Well before I'm 40!!!
Then look towards the future to meet someone start a family and pass on all my new found knowledge to my children so they can live healthy lives...
Just felt like giving a little update/vent/rant...
Thanks guys
Mike
Good luck with your Dr.appt

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just remember what started you on the journey. As it gets closer the doubts start making you question... What are you doing?. You had a mental plan to get healthy and control of your medical issues. Just don't let fears take that plan away. If your really not mentally ready for the commitment then wait and start the process over when you are. Good luck on your procedure if you move forward. This is a great board to vent, ask questions, and read others experiences. I am 1.5 months out and best decision for me!!!!!

1 hour ago, always said:

Just remember what started you on the journey. As it gets closer the doubts start making you question... What are you doing?. You had a mental plan to get healthy and control of your medical issues. Just don't let fears take that plan away. If your really not mentally ready for the commitment then wait and start the process over when you are. Good luck on your procedure if you move forward. This is a great board to vent, ask questions, and read others experiences. I am 1.5 months out and best decision for me!!!!!

Thanks for kind words.. I'm super excited.. I always get anxious no matter what but I'm more than ready for a new life.. Healthy life. Skinny life :)

Try to take it all one moment at a time.

I’m on the Autism spectrum, I wrote a letter to my surgeon explaining my many medical conditions and disability. I am always a wreck at doctors appointments, never knowing if I will even remember my words as to what to say. I go into sensory overload. This was my second surgeon I’d seen too. But Thankfully a very nice endocrinologist pointed me in the right direction of a good surgeon at Cleveland clinic hospital Florida. It’s the last possible tool I had to try to fight my weight (again)

im in the U.S. so I’m sure some things are different.

i saw the doctor to discuss the surgery, RNY due to severe GERD/acid reflux. He knew what to do and had no hesitation in helping me. I also needed my gallbladder out. (I was worried because that wasn’t decided until last minute, he wasn’t sure he could do it if it was too risky)

I needed bloodwork, a ecg and chest X-ray, and a clearance from my primary care physician. I also had letters from my endocrinologist and records from my primary care doctor to show record of all my weight loss efforts prior to this. (Insurance requires 6 months of proven weight loss effort) I had to pay for a nutritionist class. (Includes a few nutrition appointments) I was shocked how quickly the surgery was scheduled. The day they called I had to start the pre op two week liquid diet phase.

it helps that the Clinic has a my chart app so I can track appointments, pre check in, and see the results of any tests done, as well as send messages.

I have disability, immunodeficiency, lifelong chronic illness, and metabolic disorders. I understand wanting a tool to fight the weight battle. I wish I were 35 or younger when I had this. I tried to fight alone last time and thought I had. So this time it was fight to get this tool to help or give up. I had to have a different (major) surgery at 35 ...

Fight the good fight and know it’s going to be a bumpy road but it’s worth it To have that tool to be able to fight harder. Each persons experience is different but I think You will do great.

Ps. I wish I could visit Australia, though I doubt it can ever actually happen. I love the Kookaburra (I’m a birder and usually love to photograph them) and the magpies. Though my favorite bird is the Osprey (I photograph all things nature when I can)

I am also an Autie, at the Asperger end of the Spectrum, but never got official validation until after 70. Oh I think it always was there, feeling like a square peg in a round peg world. Much sorrow but now I know, I can acknowledge it, use it for my good and I am ME and that is fine! Our motherboards are wired differently but we all are good people, and more than worthy to be here. Well you know, when we are interested in something we can be almost obsessive? I used that tendency to center on preparing for my RNY Surgery and let nothing deviate me from that goal. Dr Kramer, my Bariatric shrink , said I would be that way and he was correct. Still following my case and may the rest of my life, that's okay. Perhaps it will give new insights that may help others. So anytime you want to chat,PM me or look for me on here. And I will be cheering for you too.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, Frustr8 said:

I am also an Autie, at the Asperger end of the Spectrum, but never got official validation until after 70. Oh I think it always was there, feeling like a square peg in a round peg world. Much sorrow but now I know, I can acknowledge it, use it for my good and I am ME and that is fine! Our motherboards are wired differently but we all are good people, and more than worthy to be here. Well you know, when we are interested in something we can be almost obsessive? I used that tendency to center on preparing for my RNY Surgery and let nothing deviate me from that goal. Dr Kramer, my Bariatric shrink , said I would be that way and he was correct. Still following my case and may the rest of my life, that's okay. Perhaps it will give new insights that may help others. So anytime you want to chat,PM me or look for me on here. And I will be cheering for you too.

Im similar in that regard, i didn’t get an official Asperger’s diagnosis until 2010 (I was 35) All the school psychiatrists pinned everything on problems at home. Then again they paid no attention, simply segregated me and forgot me. I do have a very obsessive nature in some areas OCD but also everything is about the moment I’m in. My physical limitations, lifelong chronic illness and physical disability makes it difficult to say the least. When I found us (just my mom and I) suddenly moving to Florida I fell for all the awesome birds and other wildlife. ( I had already done some photography since high school but hadn’t been able to do much.) Here we can see them out our window. But to be a birder it entails long walks. Which having one of few medical conditions that is worsened by exertion from things like writing this message to even light exercise... my body ends up paying a hefty price. I tried to trick myself and take it slow but crash before I get started yet push to keep going despite hardly being able to stay upright. There have been bigger gaps between going and that hurts. I decided to fight for RNY because I can’t carry this weight, let alone my self. But that’s a long thing I won’t burden someone else’s post with. I will say the obsessive nature of fighting for this goal might make people think eating disorder. (I obsessively fought my weight before, using low carb and calorie counting but those tools were no longer working, my body just doesn’t burn enough calories that even 800 Calories I gained)

losing weight won’t cure me, in fact I knew my conditions would get worse but I also knew it was do this now or give up ...

i will stop before I write too long. But will say, I’m not very comfortable in writing on public forums (long story) but I have no support system. My mom is naturally very thin. She doesn’t quite get it. We ate similar foods and portions yet I was twice her weight ...

Edited by Darktowerdream