Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT (Strattera)

Mita

hi all

my 12 year old has adhd and was diagnosed at 8 ... he has been on ritilin ever since.

He is fine at home as i know his moods and the warning signs of impending bad behaviour.

school is a different story. has a great form tutor ... he has a great principle.... only snag is that most of the other tutors have no idea how to approach a child with adhd and therefore some days at school are good and others are not so good.

One thing is certain though....he would not get through one lesson without his meds...

they make such a difference to his concentration levels.

When he first started taking it he lost weight and seemed to have little appetite. i fought hard to get him to eat all the right foods etc.. a losing battle...

this went on for a couple of years..me stressing about his weight .... then one day i spoke to an elderly lady , a stranger, in a cafe i was trying to get him to eat his dinner a very healthy dinner... this lady saw i was getting upset as he wouldnt eat and she said to me... i know its hard darling but why dont you just let him be he will eat when he is hungry.... thats when it came to me ....meal times were like a battle ground... well i decided not to fight anymore....

i started to just make him food when he asked me for it... if he wanted to skip a meal i let him... if he wanted to snack i let him...if he wanted a bowl of Cereal for dinner i let him have it..... and do ya know what.... once i took the battle away and gave him the choice of wether he wanted to eat or not my home returned to a calm stress free meal time zone....

He is now 12 and still has ritilin but now he is a strapping well built boy with no hint of a skinny rib in sight. And he is still a fussy eater but its part of his life i no longer worry about....that elderly lady was right....i let him be and he ate when he was hungry and not when i told him to and he never starved away like i thought he would...lol

I really do understand how worrying the appetite thing is but it does get better as they get older. And so does their behaviour... children are wonderful things they adjust and learn to live with their adhd much better than us parents give them credit for...

as for tears for no apparant reason at school... adhd kids are very sensitive and as much as they can display lots of anger and bad behaviour they also tend to want to have lots of cuddles and be reassured they are loved, which i think is due to the amount of time they spend being told off and what a bad boy they are etc.

Hope your boys turn out to be as special as mine cos adhd kids have to work twice as hard to achieve at school as the average child does and to me that makes them very special...not naughty and impulsive.....special....

love trace

Don't many of us here wish that sweet lady stranger had given our parents that advice? I remember sitting at the table all alone after everyone else was done and gone, staring at a plate of food I was not hungry for, but eventually ate anyway, so I could finally leave the table too...

BubbaMe I hope the strattera works for your son. Human medicine is definitely not an exact science, because everybody is different, you never know how a person might react to any medication. Side affects are a risk with any medication. What completely cures one person might make symptoms somewhat better for somebody else, then completely make them worse for another. Medicine is a very frustrating science!

I have heard a lot of positive feedback about strattera, and I've read good things about the ritalin LA too. Just so you know, if kids do need them and they make life better for them, I do fully support their use. I just sincerely wish that all parents were as careful as it sounds like you all have been before jumping on the pharmaceutical band wagon. You're doing this right, and being a great mom, smile.

In case you couldn't already tell, I am a kid person, I'm always surrounded by them, & called mom by many of them. They all seem to like to hang out at my house, & LORD they eat me out of house and home!!, but I do love all of them, all ages of them, and wish I were in a position to protect them, and teach them to protect themselves one and all. Nothing warms my heart like sincere hug from a kid...except maybe when my kids and their friends try to group hug me and we end up in a laughing pile on the floor...

Trace,

You hit the nail on the head. Extra hugs and cuddles is what he has been asking for I just did not put 2 and 2 together but I have been spending more time with him re asurring that throught no fault of his own this is the way he is and it's ok we just move on. I was the same on the eating but here as of late I just leave food out so that he can eat when ever.

Pam sounds like you have such a great time with all the kids.

We went to Lubbock TX over the weekend and he did really well I was impressed.

just an FYI: Ladies home journal has a great article this month about this subject; John and Kelly Travolta are on the cover. (April 2005) . It's about the experiences of families with the different med and non med treatments. The article is called "a generation out of control". I thought of all of you when I read it. It's got some great info and good comparisons from families who thought they could fix it without meds, but found that meds were necessary and a godsend, others who could go without meds, and some who had to change around a bit with meds to find the right one.

Good Luck and Best Wishes for a sane household and destressed kids!

Dr. Alan Greene on ADD/ADHD Medications

By Alan Greene, MD, FAAP

Is the new drug Strattera safer than Ritalin?

Question

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD. Is the new drug Strattera safer than Ritalin? I'm not sure which one to have him try first.

Answer

Recently, the FDA approved Strattera, a new drug for ADHD. Unlike Ritalin, it is not a stimulant, doesn't seem to cause insomnia in kids, and is not a controlled substance. It's the first whole new class of medication for ADHD in almost 30 years.

But we don't know too much about it yet. It has been tested on only a few thousand kids in some very short studies. It has only been proven effective for nine weeks, and it's only been proven safe for one year. We do know that during these studies, kids fell off of their growth curves for both height and weight. We don't know if they will catch up in the long run or not. Also, in studies of Strattera in adults, there were a number of reports of sexual dysfunction in both men and women -- impotence, etc. I am cautious about giving medications that affect sexual organs to kids whose organs are still developing.

I remain very cautious about Strattera, but I like the idea behind it. It is a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, and as such it raises the brain levels of one of the neurotransmitters in an analogous way to the action of Prozac and other antidepressants that raise levels of serotonin, a different neurotransmitter. The only studies I've been able to find show it more effective than a placebo, but not more or less effective than Ritalin. It is being positioned as an alternative, not as better. I'm glad that there are now alternatives available, and this may turn out to be gentler and more effective. But we still don't know, and it is still "playing with the brain" -- perhaps even more so.

Source: HealthyKids.com - Healthy Kids online

My son and mom-in-law both tried Straterra and it didn't do much for them. My son was still taking his Aderall with it because alone it did nothing for him. Even after 2 months and an increased dose we didn't notice any difference in him. So we discontinued it. I wish it had worked for my son. Adderall XR works the best out of all the other meds we tried.

10 ADD/ADHD Myths

By Karin A. Bilich

Separate the fact from the fiction!

Many parents are confused about exactly what Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) really are. The first thing you should know is that the two conditions, while slightly different, are now both being referred to in the medical community as ADHD. Here are 10 common myths -- and the scientific facts to dispel them -- that surround this disorder.

Myth #1: Only kids who are hyper have ADHD.

While hyperactivity is the most common symptom of ADHD, it is possible for a child to be suffering from the disorder without being hyperactive. ADHD actually has three subtypes:

A predominantly inattentive subtype: Signs include becoming easily distracted by irrelevant sights and sounds; failing to pay attention to details and making careless mistakes; rarely following instructions carefully and completely; losing or forgetting things like toys, pencils, books, and tools needed for a task.

A predominantly hyperactive-impulsive subtype: Signs include feeling restless, fidgeting and squirming; running, climbing, leaving a seat in situations where sitting or quiet behavior is expected; blurting out answers before hearing the entire question; and having difficulty waiting in line or for a turn.

A combined subtype: Which is the most common of the three.

Children who fit into only the first subtype may be suffering from ADHD without showing signs of hyperactivity.

Myth #2: Children can outgrow ADHD.

If left untreated, ADHD continues into adulthood. However, by developing their strengths, structuring their environments, and using medication when needed, children with ADHD can grow up to be adults leading very productive lives. In some careers, having a high-energy behavior pattern can be an asset.

Myth #3: Children on ADHD medications are more likely to take drugs as teenagers. While it's true that people with ADHD are naturally impulsive and more likely to take risks, those patients taking stimulants for this disorder are actually at lower risk of using other drugs. Children and teenagers who have ADHD and also have coexisting conditions may be at high risk for drug and alcohol abuse, regardless of the medication used.

Myth #4: Ritalin "cures" ADHD.

Ritalin, a psychostimulant medication, is one of the most common forms of treatment for ADHD. It's been shown to help children focus and be less hyperactive. But in order to be most effective, it must be part of a larger treatment plan that may include academic help for the child and behavior-modification treatment.

Myth #5: Kids with ADHD are just poorly disciplined.

ADHD is a condition of the brain that makes it difficult for children to control their behavior. While researchers have been unable to find the exact cause of ADHD, they have discovered a distinct change in brain size and activity in children with ADHD. Because these children have difficulty controlling their behavior, they may be labeled "bad kids." This is far from the truth.

Myth #6: Children on Ritalin will never grow to full size.

Ritalin may have an effect on some children's growth. But recent studies have revealed that any effect on height is only temporary. Even children who are still taking the medicine throughout adolescence ultimately do achieve their normal height.

Myth #7: ADHD can be treated through herbs and Vitamins.< /strong>

You may have heard media reports or seen advertisements for "miracle cures" for ADHD. However, the following methods have not been proven to work in scientific studies:

Optometric vision training (asserts that faulty eye movement and sensitivities cause the behavior problems)

Megavitamins and mineral supplements

Anti-motion-sickness medication (to treat the inner ear)

Treatment for candida yeast infection

EEG biofeedback (training to increase brain-wave activity)

Applied kinesiology (realigning bones in the skull)

Myth #8: ADHD is a result of a child eating too much sugar.

Research doesn't support the theory that sugar can cause ADHD. In fact, it's highly unlikely that sugar intake can affect the size of parts of a child's brain, as is seen in patients with ADHD.

Myth #9: ADHD isn't associated with any other conditions.

The majority of children who have been diagnosed with ADHD have at least one coexisting condition. The most common conditions are:

Conduct disorder: Up to 35 percent of children with ADHD also have oppositional conduct disorder. Children with this condition tend to lose their temper easily and are defiant and hostile toward authority figures. Studies show that this type of coexisting condition is most common among children with the primarily hyperactive/impulsive and combination types of ADHD.

Mood disorders: About 18 percent of children with ADHD also have mood disorders, more frequently among children with inattentive and combined types of ADHD. Children with mood disorders or depression often require a different type of medication than those normally used.

Anxiety disorders: These affect about 25 percent of children with ADHD. Children with anxiety disorders have difficulty functioning because of extreme feelings of fear, worry, or panic, and may frequently suffer from a racing pulse, sweating, diarrhea, and nausea. Counseling and/or medication may be needed to treat these coexisting conditions.

Learning disabilities: Learning disabilities make it difficult for a child to master specific skills, such as reading or math. ADHD is not a learning disability in itself, but it's a common adjunct to learning disabilities. These two conditions together can make it very difficult for a child to do well in school.

Myth #10: Kids with ADHD won't amount to anything.

Many famous artists, scientists, and politicians had ADHD as children. Here's a list of some well-known celebrities with ADHD:

Ansel Adams

Charlotte/Emily Bronte

Salvador Dali

Emily Dickinson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Benjamin Franklin

Robert Frost

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Bill Gates

John F. Kennedy

Abraham Lincoln

Mozart

Jack Nicholson

Eugene O'Neill

Elvis Presley

Joan Rivers

Anne Sexton

George Bernard Shaw

Sylvester Stallone

Vincent Van Gogh

Robin Williams

Tennessee Williams

Virginia Woolf

Wright Brothers

Frank Lloyd Wright

Sources: American Medical Association; American Academy of Pediatrics; Kitty Petty ADD/LD Institute

Thank you Pam very informative.

Everyday is a new day and so far we are doing ok.

Hi Mary, I personally take it for adult add and it is wonderful. You may have to play around with the dosage abit and expect some tiredness the first couple of weeks but after that, it is great. Also, keep in mind that it does take 2-4 weeks to begin working fully.

I was recently placed on strattera. Do you or have you had any problems getting the capsule down?