Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So got my psych eval set up for next week any insight on what will be asked? Will he asked about anything other than pertaining to my weight loss revision surgery?

I just had mine. It was pretty lame. Asked why I wanted surgery, I explained about my psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia and my autoimmune issues. He saw my list of meds... said you take a lot of medications. I said yes that’s why I need this surgery. Asked about family supporting me, asked about depression, if abused or was ever in an abusive relationship. Asked if financial hardships, ever think or attempt suicide. Done in 15 minutes.

Mine asked some pretty personal questions and gave some strange advice... but I think they are just making sure you can mentally handle the process. I wish I had not marked depression on mine, because that is what stemmed the personal questions. My advice would be just try to keep your answers focused on weight loss, unless you want to discuss personal issues in depth.

I had a whole hour and I think she wanted to go for coffee cuz we really hit it off.. kidding..the questions must be standard though , she asked if I had ever been abused ( yes) and about my finances.. she said transfer of addiction is common.. asked if I ever wanted to harm myself... the only time I fibbed was whether I ever felt I had a food addiction.. i said no because I got the impression I was suppose to deny it... isn’t it obvious a lot of us have a food additions ... she was nice and hey, anytime anyone wants to talk to me about me ( it’s usually the other way around) I’m game!

Edited by Carrot64

Thank you all so very much for the heads up, will have to let you all know how it goes! The receptionist gave him the phone, I could hear her telling him, "bariatric patient wanting to schedule, can you take the call?" He responded, "Yes, I'll take it!" That to me was personal within itself! Again thank you all so much!

Yeah hoping to hear a good report on all this and another step on your Road to Surgery will be done! Hope you were upbeat, factual and convinced them that you were a good candidate and this is what you really want to do. Sure there a few risks, but getting out of bed in the morning, walking,across the street even,going to a shopping mall these days-all risky. Makes this surgery look a lot less frightening doesn't it? Keep pisitive, keep sweet and update us when you can,okay?

Absolutely will do!

So, today was the day for my psych eval. Not sure to know what to think about it. I went in and the psychologist was very nice. Gave me a piece of paper and asked that I write my name and dob on it and Dr. to do my surgery. He then had me answer a list of questions he had wrote down such as: where did I here about the bypass surgery, why did I want bypass surgery, have I attended a seminar yet, have I seen the dietitian and if so how many times, what family support do I have, what are the complications of bypass surgery, and what type of diet/exercise changes do I plan to make. Last but not least, what will be the hardest change I will have to make after having the bypass surgery. Then he proceeded to have me fill out the standardized psychology test MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory Test) 300+ true/false questions I had to answer. Once I finished he told me thank you so much, I will send the results to Dr. by beginning of the week and took my fee. Kinda perplexed feeling perplexed right now! I have another dietitian appoint the 27th and not sure what will happen next. I also called my insurance company to see if the office has submitted a request for approval and they had not so far. I sure would like to get confirmation on something! Waiting is hard! Unknown if you are covered is even harder. Not knowing if you will be able to even get the revision surgery is the hardest!😟

The paper you are talking about sounds similar to the form I filled out before going in Teheran appt. I didn’t do a personality test or anything with a bunch of questions. Although, the psychologist works with the surgeon and he was telling me with my health issues I should be really happy with results. He kept saying the dramatic positive changes this surgery he has seen make on patients lives. He did want to make sure I understood the changes I would need to make as far as food and carbonated beverages. I already gave up pop and beer. I just about always cook and don’t eat out. (Except for this last week and a half getting it all in lol) So he said that was half the battle. He told me he was approving me for surgery before I left the office. Do you have access to your appointments online where you can see your office visit info? If not I would just call either your primary, surgeon or psychologist to get an update. That’s ridiculous. It may be just standard in your area. You should be fine.

Thank you for the positive remarks and encouragement. I have an appt set on the 27th so hoping I hear something then!

So got my psych eval set up for next week any insight on what will be asked? Will he asked about anything other than pertaining to my weight loss revision surgery?
They might ask if you are a emotional eater.

Sent from my Z982 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all so very much for the heads up, will have to let you all know how it goes! The receptionist gave him the phone, I could hear her telling him, "bariatric patient wanting to schedule, can you take the call?" He responded, "Yes, I'll take it!" That to me was personal within itself! Again thank you all so much!
Best of luck to you I'm going through the same thing that you are

Sent from my Z982 using BariatricPal mobile app

They want to know about depression because your entire life changes and relationship with food changes as well as with others in your social life since a lot is surrounded with food and drink. I’m two weeks post op and I totally get it. They want to make sure you won’t turn to food for comfort because you literally can’t. Trust they know what they are talking about this isn’t their first rodeo and lying only hurts yourself.

If you have a support system, about your spouse and children, have you ever tried or wanted to commit suicide. What are you expecting from surgery. Donyou understand the lifestyle changes no carbonation, limitations of diet. Emotional eater? Are you and have you ever been in an abusive relationship. Why you want surgery. Most were on a form and some he asked in questions in person. It did not take long at all and he let me know he was approving me for surgery before i left. Mostly to make sure you understand what you are doing. Good luck.