Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

Re: Plastic Surgery

For me the fact that I am investing the money, time & suffering in getting the body I want will (hopefully) motivate me to never go back.

Edited by sillykitty

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

1) people spend a lot of $$ for plastic surgery and thus are more motivated to keep the weight off so they don't compromise their results

2) many plastic surgeons require patients to have maintained a stable weight for 6-12 months before getting plastic surgery. Perhaps people who are able to maintain their weight for that long (6-12 months) are more likely to maintain it long term, too

3) people who self-pay for plastic surgery may have more disposable income and can afford things like gym memberships and better food, too

4) You get rid of quite a lot of empty and hungry fat cells that scream "FEED ME!!!"

4 minutes ago, summerset said:

4) You get rid of quite a lot of empty and hungry fat cells that scream "FEED ME!!!"

oh yea - and that, too!

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

<! -- Begin Random Brain Dump -->

So....there was a post on another thread that brought up the existence of studies that proposed that WLS patients who have plastic surgery to remove excess skin after massive weight loss are more likely to keep the weight off further down the road than those who didn't. I remember reading something to that effect a while back, so I did a little digging, and yep, there are studies that suggest this idea.

Here is is just two that were on the first page of my search results:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131001104541.htm
https://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(15)00850-3/fulltext

So as I often do, I went down the research rabbit hole. I wanted see what other theories were out there that isolate certain behaviours or circumstances that increase the likelihood of long term weight control after bariatric surgery.

The regular stuff that we already know came up about the positive co-relation of the following with short & long term success in weight loss:

• daily weighing (of body, not food, LOL)
  • logging/tracking food intake
  • weight training to maintain or increase lean muscle mass
  • the above-mentioned body contouring

Then there was one that sort of resonated with me, for some reason. That the likelihood of long term success is related to the amount of (or lack of) sedentary activities a person participates in. Those who spend less time watching TV, sitting at a desk, or spend time on their devices are more likely than their sedentary counterparts to keep the weight off longer term. And that this was the bigger indicator of "success" than the 4 points made above.

Since the PS, I have been pretty sedentary. I looked at my steps and I averaged less than 1000 steps a day the first 10 days post op. I felt ick and lazy and tired and really just didn't want to move (mind you, I was in recovery so there's that). Then I purposefully made the effort to walk around every couple of hours and felt better. Then I started going outside for longer and longer walks and started to feel normal. After yesterday's 2+ hours outside and this morning's 1 hour (with more to come throughout the day) I feel aaaalmost awesome. The more I moved, the more I wanted to move; and on the flip side of that I realized that the more I stayed still the more I didn't want to move. Funny cuz this is probably obvious to some/most of you, but it was like a light-bulb moment for me, duh. 🙄

So moral of the story: Keep moving, people.

<! -- End Random Brain Dump -->

I agree with you, If people invest in plastics they don't want to waste the money. They are more likely to maintain.

I have an issue with ALL the statics on long term success rates. My surgeons office is a gold standard of excellence, They are required to follow patient five years and report to a national data base. Per my office, many patients stop showing up for yearly check ups after two years. The statistics reported are not accurate. This includes people with skin removal.

3 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I agree with you, If people invest in plastics they don't want to waste the investment. They are more likely to maintain.

I have an issue with ALL the statics on long term success rates. My surgeons office is a gold standard of excellence, They are required to follow patient five years and report to a national data base. Per my office, many patients stop showing up for yearly check ups after two years. The statistics reported are not accurate. This includes people with skin removal.

Yep. That's my surgeon's office too. They follow for 5 years and most stop checkups at about 2 years...

8 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Per my office, many patients stop showing up for yearly check ups after two years. The statistics reported are not accurate. This includes people with skin removal.

These drop out rates are always an issue. Patients don't go to follow-ups for various reasons.

The hospital I got surgery at recommends life long follow-ups. Of course you can't force people to make their appointments.

I did a Dexa scan (10 months post RNY) to get a baseline for future tests.

It didn't give me % muscle etc just scores. The lowest score (still above the normal) was the L Femur neck was 2.0, but the Right and overall both femurs were 2.6 to 2.8 and the lumbar spine was 3.4. I guess carrying around excess weight for decades helped build up my bones.

I will probable have it repeated in 5-7 years when I am near 50 years old and if it still looks great then probable wont repeat it unless my Md feels it necessary.

49 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I did a Dexa scan (10 months post RNY) to get a baseline for future tests.

It didn't give me % muscle etc just scores. The lowest score (still above the normal) was the L Femur neck was 2.0, but the Right and overall both femurs were 2.6 to 2.8 and the lumbar spine was 3.4. I guess carrying around excess weight for decades helped build up my bones.

I will probable have it repeated in 5-7 years when I am near 50 years old and if it still looks great then probable wont repeat it unless my Md feels it necessary.

the medical ones don't measure the percentages of fat/bone/muscle - just bone density. If you want to know the percentages, you have to get one of the sports or commercial ones. The commercial ones (at places like "DexaFit") run about $150. You can sometimes get a sports one for quite a bit cheaper at a university sports lab (they use them on athletes)

I am bad about getting fluids in. I barely get 74oz in but I count my 11oz Protein Shake and milk in that number.
Do you count other fluids or is everyone getting 64oz of Water plus other fluids?

31 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I am bad about getting fluids in. I barely get 74oz in but I count my 11oz Protein Shake and milk in that number.
Do you count other fluids or is everyone getting 64oz of Water plus other fluids?

I count everything as long as it's not caffeinated (although some people count caffeinated beverages, too...)

I count what I drink out of my water bottle, Water I add to tea, water I add to broths, and water I add to make a Protein Shake (as I use powders)

I usually get in 2-3 litres a day (67-100 fl oz).

:)

74? Pbbfftt, that's great in my eyes. For me On most days I only get in about 30 water plus another 8-16 for Protein Shakes. I rarely ever get to 60. I've just never taken in much water/liquids even pre WLS.

I only count Water. I either get like 100 ounces or 30 ounces. I am much better while at work than on days off with the water aspect

14 hours ago, rs said:

74? Pbbfftt, that's great in my eyes. For me On most days I only get in about 30 Water plus another 8-16 for Protein Shakes. I rarely ever get to 60. I've just never taken in much water/liquids even pre WLS.

@2Bsmaller18 not sure how my previous comment came across. It was in reference to your saying you "only" get in 74 oz fluids, and it wasn't meant to be a criticism of you, but rather of me because I rarely can even get to 60. 😊

On 01/11/2020 at 19:20, rs said:

@2Bsmaller18 not sure how my previous comment came across. It was in reference to your saying you "only" get in 74 oz fluids, and it wasn't meant to be a criticism of you, but rather of me because I rarely can even get to 60. 😊

I agree. It is a conscious effort to try and get that much and it’s usually at 10pm when I realize that I have probably only gotten 30 in so I force the rest.