Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

Warning: This is a long Read.

Hey peeps,

Feels like its been a while since I've posted on here...I think because alot of my initial apprehension/anxiety/fear of navigating maintenance has basically disappeared. I feel way more confident and secure that I've got this in the bag, so long a I keep up with my "good" habits, i.e., tracking my food, weighing daily, take my vites, drink my Water, getting in some exercise.

Background reminder: I am almost 15 months post op from sleeve surgery, and I've been in maintenance now for about 7 months. I stopped weight loss mode at 127 lbs, and weighed in 115.4 lbs this morning.

Prior to the PS recovery stage I am currently in, I finally figured out that with my normal activity level (5km run daily + 15 mins strength training), my maintenance calories average about 1800-2000 a day.

My activity level for the past month however has been virtually null (save the last few days when I started walking 5km day, with the occasional short distance run in there somewhere), and my calorie intake has greatly varied day to day (MFP tells me I roughly averaged 1500 a day for the past month) and this combo has me maintaining 115 lbs.

Though I think the lack of exercise/strength training is starting to show on my body parts. My thighs are looking soft, the muscles in my arms and shoulders look less defined, my butt is actually looking saggier! How much this is related to the PS swelling or repositioning, I dunno. I am told I will not see my what my post-plastics final body for another several months. In any case, I am ACHING to be able to run like the wind again and work on some body toning.

Regarding food choices, I still stay away from bread, Pasta &rice. I have the occasional sugar-laden mixed drink (which I often pay for with dumpings), and my chocolate and Desserts intake has probably quadrupled (again, which I often pay for with dumpings). Regarding dumpings, I notice I am more likely to get more severe symptoms if there is nothing else in my stomach, which, when I am drinking or having dessert, is often the case.

I can definitely eat alot more in terms of volume than 6 months ago. Though my capacity is inconsistent in that there are days I can eat lots, and other days when I don't...and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

I continue to believe that I am all that and a bag of chips, and my confidence in myself and what I do is filtering into my life in strange ways. I am so much less angry and annoyed. I have way more patience with others and feel like I am less judge-y. I am not harsh on myself anymore, which makes me less harsh on others, I guess.

I no longer really care what (non-essential) people think of me, nor do I feel the need to be liked and appreciated by them. On the flip side of this lack of concern, I am fine with "cutting the fat" from my life so to say, meaning that I recognize which relationships or interactions are worth working on and maintaining, and which ones I just step to side from.

I am quite comfortable with silences now.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty great, and quite happy where I find myself these days.

Ok, I didn't mean for this post to be so long and oh-so-reflective, lol. Just wanted to give a how-I-am-doing-in-maintenance update.

How are the other maintainers out there (new and old) doing? Would love to hear from you guys ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

@ms.sss I'm so jealous of you dont know why I stopped losing at bmi of 30. We are the same height what was your starting weight?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey peeps,
Feels like its been a while since I've posted on here...I think because alot of my initial apprehension/anxiety/fear of navigating maintenance has basically disappeared. I feel way more confident and secure that I've got this in the bag, so long a I keep up with my "good" habits, i.e., tracking my food, weighing daily, take my vites, drink my Water, getting in some exercise.
Background reminder: I am almost 15 months post op from sleeve surgery, and I've been in maintenance now for about 7 months. I stopped weight loss mode at 127 lbs, and weighed in 115.4 lbs this morning.
Prior to the PS recovery stage I am currently in, I finally figured out that with my normal activity level (5km run daily + 15 mins strength training), my maintenance calories average about 1800-2000 a day.
My activity level for the past month however has been virtually null (save the last few days when I started walking 5km day, with the occasional short distance run in there somewhere), and my calorie intake has greatly varied day to day (MFP tells me I roughly averaged 1500 a day for the past month) and this combo has me maintaining 115 lbs.
Though I think the lack of exercise/strength training is starting to show on my body parts. My thighs are looking soft, the muscles in my arms and shoulders look less defined, my butt is actually looking saggier! How much this is related to the PS swelling or repositioning, I dunno. I am told I will not see my what my post-plastics final body for another several months. In any case, I am ACHING to be able to run like the wind again and work on some body toning.
Regarding food choices, I still stay away from bread, Pasta &rice. I have the occasional sugar-laden mixed drink (which I often pay for with dumpings), and my chocolate and Desserts intake has probably quadrupled (again, which I often pay for with dumpings). Regarding dumpings, I notice I am more likely to get more severe symptoms if there is nothing else in my stomach, which, when I am drinking or having dessert, is often the case.
I can definitely eat alot more in terms of volume than 6 months ago. Though my capacity is inconsistent in that there are days I can eat lots, and other days when I don't...and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.
I continue to believe that I am all that and a bag of chips, and my confidence in myself and what I do is filtering into my life in strange ways. I am so much less angry and annoyed. I have way more patience with others and feel like I am less judge-y. I am not harsh on myself anymore, which makes me less harsh on others, I guess.
I no longer really care what (non-essential) people think of me, nor do I feel the need to be liked and appreciated by them. On the flip side of this lack of concern, I am fine with "cutting the fat" from my life so to say, meaning that I recognize which relationships or interactions are worth working on and maintaining, and which ones I just step to side from.
All in all, I'm feeling pretty great, and quite happy where I find myself these days.
Ok, I didn't mean for this post to be so long and oh-so-reflective, lol. Just wanted to give a how-I-am-doing-in-maintenance update.
How are the other maintainers out there (new and old) doing? Would love to hear from you guys

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, chayarg said:

@ms.sss I'm so jealous of you dont know why I stopped losing at bmi of 30. We are the same height what was your starting weight?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

@chayarg : actually, I'm pretty impressed by YOU and your dedicated efforts to get back on track after so long after your surgery ❤️ . It ain't easy, but here you are posting your menus and working your way down.

I was 235 lbs two weeks before surgery.

Hey peeps,
How are the other maintainers out there (new and old) doing? Would love to hear from you guys
You sound so happy and also content. That's awesome!

I agree. It is a conscious effort to try and get that much and it’s usually at 10pm when I realize that I have probably only gotten 30 in so I force the rest.
Update: I bought a different water bottle and what a difference it makes! The one I had before didn't really let much Water out at a time but this one gushes out so I can drink more at s time. For the past few days I've been able to easily finish one full 32 oz compared to most days I couldn't. Now I need to work on refilling it and getting in that second 32 oz.

On 01/15/2020 at 11:29, ms.sss said:

Hey peeps,

How are the other maintainers out there (new and old) doing? Would love to hear from you guys ❤️

That’s AWESOME!!!!

On 1/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, ms.sss said:

I'm in a strange place five years out and maintaining.

I'm not focused on being a bariatric patient. I no longer obsess about the"bariatric rules" It's because I live a healthy life out of habit. I identify more with the fitness community.

I am ready to move on and hopefully continue to maintain in the years to come. I know I can always come back if I need to.

I totally understand. I find myself thinking less and less about identifying as a WLS patient and more about fitness and nutritional goals. WLS was an incredible tool for me. It gave me my life back and I forever grateful and blessed. Now as I explore new food options and work toward more endurance events, I am having to think outside the WLS boxes and use additional tools to meet new goals. It is a wonderful, new world, and I am excited to venture out as far as I can. :)

17 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I'm in a strange place five years out and maintaining.

I'm not focused on being a bariatric patient. I no longer obsess about the"bariatric rules" It's because I live a healthy life out of habit. I identify more with the fitness community.

I am ready to move on and hopefully continue to maintain in the years to come. I know I can always come back if I need to.

I was wondering where you were...hadn't seen/read you around much.

Happy that you are well and going strong!

Here's to crushing some fitness goals! 😘

P.S. You know, full disclosure: since the beginning of my involvement in this forum over a year ago, you quickly became one of the folks on here I aspire to emulate...so hopefully I will be following in your footsteps and cross the line over to being fitness-centric as well in the near future ❤️

Hello maintenance peeps!

So I’ve had a weird week:
Did 3 workouts  yesterday (one of them was low-key, mostly stretching) and worked 10 hours.
It was so busy at work that I didn’t get enough calories in, but I got in about 50-55gm Protein (before 5pm).
After my last Pilates class I was home at 7:45pm and hubs had dinner ready: pork tenderloin and a salad pack.
By the time I got home I was STARVING. this wasn’t head hunger, I was legit HUNGRY.
For some reason, the pork didn’t look appetizing at all and I dove straight into the salad mix.
I dumped 1 cup salad mix (usually have 0.5-0.75 cups with 2oz meat) and wolfed it down within 5 mins.
A whole cup of salad mix in 5 minutes.
That wasn’t the worst part tho.
I was still starving after that 5 minute and like an idiot went in for.....MORE SALAD.
I was about 4-5 bites into another half cup when I got the worst intestinal cramps.
Thought I was gonna die and had to put down my fork ASAP.

spent the next couple of hours miserable on my couch and then didn’t sleep well all night.
I’ve been battling intense nausea all day and have maybe had 24 ounces of Water and 200-300 calories today (1/2 a Premier Protein, 3 bites out of a P3 thingie, and half a pack of bariatric cream of chicken soup).

I’m just now starting to feel quasi-normal again, though my tummy still feels slightly full.
I was able to make it through work, but had to cancel tonight’s Pilates class.

Has anyone else ever done anything like this to themselves and how long does it take to not feel as if your sleeve is full even when you’ve had next to no food in over 24 hours?

14 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Hello maintenance peeps!

So I’ve had a weird week:
Did 3 workouts yesterday (one of them was low-key, mostly stretching) and worked 10 hours.
It was so busy at work that I didn’t get enough calories in, but I got in about 50-55gm Protein (before 5pm).
After my last Pilates class I was home at 7:45pm and hubs had dinner ready: pork tenderloin and a salad pack.
By the time I got home I was STARVING. this wasn’t head hunger, I was legit HUNGRY.
For some reason, the pork didn’t look appetizing at all and I dove straight into the salad mix.
I dumped 1 cup salad mix (usually have 0.5-0.75 cups with 2oz meat) and wolfed it down within 5 mins.
A whole cup of salad mix in 5 minutes.
That wasn’t the worst part tho.
I was still starving after that 5 minute and like an idiot went in for.....MORE SALAD.
I was about 4-5 bites into another half cup when I got the worst intestinal cramps.
Thought I was gonna die and had to put down my fork ASAP.

spent the next couple of hours miserable on my couch and then didn’t sleep well all night.
I’ve been battling intense nausea all day and have maybe had 24 ounces of Water and 200-300 calories today (1/2 a Premier Protein, 3 bites out of a P3 thingie, and half a pack of bariatric cream of chicken soup).

I’m just now starting to feel quasi-normal again, though my tummy still feels slightly full.
I was able to make it through work, but had to cancel tonight’s Pilates class.

Has anyone else ever done anything like this to themselves and how long does it take to not feel as if your sleeve is full even when you’ve had next to no food in over 24 hours?

I can eat salad with no problem (I couldn't the first few months out - but after the 4th or 5th month, yes). What you ate wouldn't have bothered me. Not sure what happened there - unless you just ate too fast for your stomach?

Hi, all. I haven't posted in the maintenance thread for a while and just wanted to check in.

I'm coming up on a year since surgery and am very pleased with where things stand. I've been holding steady at 140 for nearly two months, after reaching a low of 132 (which was frankly a bit too thin).

One thing I notice is that I don't really enjoy eating any more. I'm almost never hungry, and my main concern remains getting enough Protein and calories. I suppose that's a good thing. The one exception is fresh fruit, which I find I really enjoy now.

I'm posting two photos as I approach one year--the first as I was recovering from surgery (not very flattering), and the second just two days ago. Quite a difference, no?

Bed.jpg

Jan. 27.jpg

3 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I'm posting two photos as I approach one year--the first as I was recovering from surgery (not very flattering), and the second just two days ago. Quite a difference, no?

Bed.jpg Jan. 27.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: WOW.

Definitely a HUGE difference, LOL! You look so great (and happy!) ❤️

P.S. Nice view!

Edited by ms.sss

20 hours ago, ms.sss said:

P.S. Nice view!

That was from the big ferris wheel in Melbourne (Australia), where we were attending the Australian Open!