Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

On 12/10/2019 at 12:48, FluffyChix said:

I think you're really gonna need to work with your RD/holistic doc to get a good gameplan up to where you are able to get enough nutrients and calories in you! Having to do elimination on TOP of vegan on TOP of ADF seem very scary larry to me. Just being frank here. But the healing that comes from activating SIRT genes is very real and well documented. I think you must listen to your body and its health first before making huge ginormous goals that zap your strength...((hugs))

Agree.
I’ll also agree that from what I’ve seen, you’re going to get on top of this and completely dominate it @AZhiker.

6 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Agree.
I’ll also agree that from what I’ve seen, you’re going to get on top of this and completely dominate it @AZhiker.

This times infinity!!!

5 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Congrats!! that must feel amazing. I bet it will be so much easier to get a coat that fits too.

I have kept some old, loose shirts thinking I would need loose fitting stuff for swelling and the ease of getting them on and off but I guess even with swelling your arms are immediately smaller from the skin removal. I will hold onto them just in case but I guess i may never wear them again.

Did the surgeon say how much skin he removed form each arm in size or weight? Did he do Lipo before removing the skin? I guess that is the norm since Lipo separates the skin to remove it but I don't have much fat on my arms, its just skin.

He did lipo on my arms before removing the skin - I forget how much he said. I have a picture of the actual skin removed but it's graphic and I dunno if I should post it here because people get grossed out. lol.

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

This times infinity!!!

You are both so kind and encouraging. Thanks. I WILL get on top of this! The best news today is that my sleep doctore does not think I need my CPAP anymore. I will have a sleep study next week to verify. Woo Hoo!!!!

2 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

He did Lipo on my arms before removing the skin - I forget how much he said. I have a picture of the actual skin removed but it's graphic and I dunno if I should post it here because people get grossed out. lol.

No objection here. LOL

Here either. I had co-worker have Lipo, and she showed me hers. It was over 5 pounds of fat. So cool really!

15 hours ago, ms.sss said:

No objection here. LOL

1 hour ago, shanza said:

Here either. I had co-worker have Lipo, and she showed me hers. It was over 5 pounds of fat. So cool really!

I'll post it in my plastic surgery thread.

Okay so had my 10 month FU with my NUT.

So I’m officially under GW and have lost >100% of my excess fat.

When not on vacation, I average 800 calories daily, with approx 60-70gm Protein and <30 gm carbs.
She said that I can probably expect to keep losing 3-4 pounds monthly until around February and then could potentially lose another 5-6 pounds overall in the February-August range of 2020.
That’s assuming I stay as on plan as I have been for the first 10 months and that I don’t lose my stuff and start eating crap.

The clinic I go to is fairly conservative. They don’t like to set too many rules or parameters so they’re really hesitant to promote any particular kind of diet or exercise regimen.
That being said, my NUT still wants me to keep carbs <40gm daily until she sees me in February, and as long as my energy levels stay the same, she said I don’t have to try to kill myself to get in >60 gm protein.
Basically since I’m not a 20-something male athlete, my body will get enough with around 60gm with the weight that I am.

I’m actually pleased that she didn’t tell me to radically increase carbs.
She’s totes fine with my eating in a 8-10 hr window daily and that when I break fast daily, I almost always start with protein shake/coffee.
She says that continuing a daily Protein Shake for the rest of my life is fine if I want to as long as I’m also eating food protein the other 2 meals.
She didn’t give me a calorie min or max. Basically if I stay within goals of protein and carbs, and my weight stabilizes, then she said it doesn’t matter.

If I go in and I’m under 135 (which I seriously doubt, but who knows) then we will look at adding in some more fats and complex carbs.

All in all, it was really weird to go in and weigh-in UNDER goal weight at the office.

Oh yeah, and I’ve already dropped 1.4 of the 3.2 holiday/vacay weight..... so..... Yay!

@FluffyChix,
She did say that too much protein can also “Turn on” hunger cravings like carbs can.
It takes waaaaaay more protein than carbs to turn it, but even protein in too high amounts can be converted to excess fat and can cause insulin resistance.
I couldn’t get a firm number out of her, but I had had suspicions about this and will try to keep total protein under 80gm daily and see what that does.

Yay! Congrats on such a great report! And congrats on losing half of the vacay bloat!! Way to be at 100% loss of EBF! Yeeehawww! And in 10 months. That's amazing!! Aren't you beyond excited and pleased with yourself? What did she tell you about how she thinks you are doing?

Yeah, I'd realized the whole extra Protein conversion. It's close 50% of extra gets converted to carbs. I think I have figured out the culprit though. I think it's the SF Torani syrups I've been adding to my coffee since right before Thanksgiving. And they have to go. I didn't have any yesterday and wasn't hungry all day until dinner. And today I added them and I was so hungry by 11am, I caved and had turkey breast, cottage cheese and raspberries/blueberries. #crap :( So much for IF today but I can still pull off an ADF today if I have a super skinny din of foil fish tonight or an egg white puff and salad.< /span>

I know I need to go back to limiting my protein too. I've been too loosy goosy with it and have been over-eating it. I know I am out of ketosis and can tell I'm having insulin/bg spikes and lows again.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:11, FluffyChix said:

Yay! Congrats on such a great report! And congrats on losing half of the vacay bloat!! Way to be at 100% loss of EBF! Yeeehawww! And in 10 months. That's amazing!! Aren't you beyond excited and pleased with yourself? What did she tell you about how she thinks you are doing?

Yeah, I'd realized the whole extra Protein conversion. It's close 50% of extra gets converted to carbs. I think I have figured out the culprit though. I think it's the SF Torani syrups I've been adding to my coffee since right before Thanksgiving. And they have to go. I didn't have any yesterday and wasn't hungry all day until dinner. And today I added them and I was so hungry by 11am, I caved and had turkey breast, cottage cheese and raspberries/blueberries. #crap :( So much for IF today but I can still pull off an ADF today if I have a super skinny din of foil fish tonight or an egg white puff and salad.< /span>

I know I need to go back to limiting my Protein too. I've been too loosy goosy with it and have been over-eating it. I know I am out of ketosis and can tell I'm having insulin/bg spikes and lows again.

Okay so awesome that you’ve identified the culprit, but I’m sad to know that’s why.
I also have these syrups (I got the peppermint to add to my bariatric hot chocolate and the English toffee to add to coffee). I’ll have to start using these really sparingly, but it’s good info to have.

I am pleased with myself, but I’m also aware that I don’t want to start patting myself too hard on the back cause then I might start to take it all for granted and that’s the top of a slippery slope.
Still trying to keep on top of all the head stuff.

I started a wonderful Soup in the quick pot.
Defrosted some frozen turkey, then added in carrots,celery,onion,garlic, collard greens and okra.
The smell of this stuff cooking is driving me half crazy so it’s time to have some meat and cheese ASAP.
I’m usually fine until I smell food. Then it doesn’t matter how full/hungry I am. Wish my brain wasn’t so reactive to the smell.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, FluffyChix said:

I know I need to go back to limiting my Protein too. I've been too loosy goosy with it and have been over-eating it. I know I am out of ketosis and can tell I'm having insulin/bg spikes and lows again.

So if we eat too much protein our body converts it to carbs? I try to get 1500 calories with 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fats. That means 150 carbs per day! That was hard to get over mentally but it also means 112g of protein and 50g of fat. However, to get in 1500 calories a day they have to come from something and I don't want to increase fats. I rarely hit that mark for protein.

3 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

So if we eat too much Protein our body converts it to carbs? I try to get 1500 calories with 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fats. That means 150 carbs per day! That was hard to get over mentally but it also means 112g of protein and 50g of fat. However, to get in 1500 calories a day they have to come from something and I don't want to increase fats. I rarely hit that mark for protein.

I thought any excess protein was just stored as fat (??). At any rate, I wouldn't count excess protein as carbs. Your body will burn whatever it can for energy if there aren't any carbs available....but I wouldn't count excess protein as part of your carb intake.

P.S. I should add that I am NOT a dietitian or any sort of expert on this, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Edited by catwoman7

19 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I thought any excess Protein was just stored as fat (??). At any rate, I wouldn't count excess protein as carbs. Your body will burn whatever it can for energy if there aren't any carbs available....but I wouldn't count excess protein as part of your carb intake.

P.S. I should add that I am NOT a dietitian or any sort of expert on this, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Sorry. Yes you are so right. It's converted to excess sugar and either burned or stored! Derp!

Update:
Third day back from hedonistic holiday/vacay episode and I’m down 2.6 of the 3.4 that I gained.

And........ no BM since the day I got back, so the last 0.8 pounds should come in the next 2-3 days.

For the first time ever in my life I was able to regather myself after letting loose for a couple of weeks and it’s so empowering. No more spending the next few days/weeks telling myself “I’ll start Monday on a healthy eating plan.

Started it with a 23 hr fast and within 2 days I’m back to pre-holiday/vacay eating.
I also got right back into Pilates and treadmill.
In the meantime, I’m not allowing myself any holiday beverages or food until the last of the regain is off.
Fingers crossed that by Sunday morning I get there, because we’ve got tickets to a Christmas Carol and drink/dinner plans with friends.

I’m bound and determined though that this is one bright line in the sand I WILL NOT CROSS.

either all of the regain comes off, or I eat a big-ass salad with iced tea for our night out. 😭😭😭