Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

On 12/08/2019 at 15:39, sillykitty said:

Just checking in. I'm about to start the next part of my WLS process .... plastics!

I'm having a lower body lift & breast augmentation .... tomorrow! 😳 So I guess I'll join in the Monday fast. 🤣

I'm curious on how this will affect my weight. I'm heading into this surgery right in my 125-130 window (126.4 yesterday). My surgeon estimated 4 lbs or so of skin/fat removal, plus 2 lbs for the implants. So net net, I might be less 2 lbs after surgery. But then there is swelling. I'm sure my appetite will be suppressed at least early on in the process due to pain and nausea. But on the flip side I'll be less active during my recovery. So, yeah, we'll see!

Good luck tomorrow!

On 12/2/2019 at 11:09 AM, ms.sss said:

Do you find that your clothes are fitting you differently now?

I can finally fit my arms in arm holes! LOL I had several articles of clothing that I bought for post-op that I can now wear because my arms will fit in them. It's amazing. Ever since... forever... my arms prevented me from buying certain fabrics, etc, because it wouldn't stretch. No more!

I can finally fit my arms in arm holes! LOL I had several articles of clothing that I bought for post-op that I can now wear because my arms will fit in them. It's amazing. Ever since... forever... my arms prevented me from buying certain fabrics, etc, because it wouldn't stretch. No more!
Congratulations!!! That must feel good!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Okay guys!

Gained 3.2 pounds (147-150.2) during holiday/vacation.
Just finishing a 24 hour fast and I’m asking y’all to be my accountability partners heading into the next couple of weeks.

Before we left, I cleared the house of all non-Sheri-Bari foods and now I’m sipping on a coffee Protein Shake before heading to work out for the first time in 8 days.
Planning a rwalk on the TM later and meal-prep for the next 2-3 days.

Goal is to ditch the 3 pounds by next Tuesday.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, mousecat88 said:

Congrats!! that must feel amazing. I bet it will be so much easier to get a coat that fits too.

I have kept some old, loose shirts thinking I would need loose fitting stuff for swelling and the ease of getting them on and off but I guess even with swelling your arms are immediately smaller from the skin removal. I will hold onto them just in case but I guess i may never wear them again.

Did the surgeon say how much skin he removed form each arm in size or weight? Did he do Lipo before removing the skin? I guess that is the norm since lipo separates the skin to remove it but I don't have much fat on my arms, its just skin.

31 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay guys!

Gained 3.2 pounds (147-150.2) during holiday/vacation.
Just finishing a 24 hour fast and I’m asking y’all to be my accountability partners heading into the next couple of weeks.

Before we left, I cleared the house of all non-Sheri-Bari foods and now I’m sipping on a coffee Protein Shake before heading to work out for the first time in 8 days.
Planning a rwalk on the TM later and meal-prep for the next 2-3 days.

Goal is to ditch the 3 pounds by next Tuesday.

you got this meal planing and exercise you are there

On 12/7/2019 at 9:24 AM, Sheribear68 said:

anyone else wanna join me on a fast Monday?

Well, I started out fasting, but had so much pain and nausea on an empty stomach that I had to eat. This has been a problem for the past couple of months. Had my endo today and turns out I have an ulcer!!!! That explains the symptoms, but sure is discouraging as I have been doing everything possible to avoid an ulcer. So PPI meds for for 3 months. Doc also wants a swallow study and ultrasound of my gall bladder. No sign of Barretts (!!!!) and no polyps (!!!!) but looks like maybe eosinophilic esophagitis (EE), as well as the ulcer. I will know when biopsy comes back. Doc said the EE could be from whey/lactose, causing an allergic reaction in the esophagus. I have noticed increasing discomfort (gas, bloating) with dairy, so I am unofficially lactose intolerant at this point, although I have been trying to finish up my whey based Protein Powder. I have been using soy products (milk, yogurt, tofu, tempeh) instead of dairy, but this can possibly also aggravate EE. So with no gluten, no dairy, low fat, low carb, and possibly no soy, I guess that leaves me with salad and Beans.< strong> I sure am glad I am building my new life around things other than food!

I also set up an appointment with a medical doctor who specializes in holistic, nutritional/lifestyle health. He promotes whole food plant based eating and exercise, both of which I am trying to incorporate into my lifestyle. After I get my 1 year labs back, and get all the bari tests done, I will see him and try to build a healthy and nutritionally sound plan that will support my exercise goals and prevent any nutritional deficiencies.

Edited by AZhiker

5 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Well, I started out fasting, but had so much pain and nausea on an empty stomach that I had to eat. This has been a problem for the past couple of months. Had my endo today and turns out I have an ulcer!!!! That explains the symptoms, but sure is discouraging as I have been doing everything possible to avoid an ulcer. So PPI meds for for 3 months. Doc also wants a swallow study and ultrasound of my gall bladder. No sign of Barretts (!!!!) and no polyps (!!!!) but looks like maybe eosinophilic esophagitis (EE), as well as the ulcer. I will know when biopsy comes back. Doc said the EE could be from whey/lactose, causing an allergic reaction in the esophagus. I have noticed increasing discomfort (gas, bloating) with dairy, so I am unofficially lactose intolerant at this point, although I have been trying to finish up my whey based Protein Powder. I have been using soy products (milk, yogurt, tofu, tempeh) instead of dairy, but this can possibly also aggravate EE. So with no gluten, no dairy, low fat, low carb, and possibly no soy, I guess that leaves me with salad and Beans.< strong> I sure am glad I am building my new life around things other than food!

I also set up an appointment with a medical doctor who specializes in holistic, nutritional/lifestyle health. He promotes whole food plant based eating and exercise, both of which I am trying to incorporate into my lifestyle. After I get my 1 year labs back, and get all the bari tests done, I will see him and try to build a healthy and nutritionally sound plan that will support my exercise goals and prevent any nutritional deficiencies.

Wow! What a load!!! So sorry to hear this but ecstatic about the no Barrett's part!!! I have no doubts you are gonna figure this out!!!! So glad you're having more tests and will be working with your new holistic health doc!!! Yay!!!!

This ulcer thing really screws up my 16:8 IF. But..... there is always plan B. I can do ADF with 500 cal, spread throughout the day. At least until this ulcer heals.

Just now, AZhiker said:

This ulcer thing really screws up my 16:8 IF. But..... there is always plan B. I can do ADF with 500 cal, spread throughout the day. At least until this ulcer heals.

Yes exactly. I do that all the time! In fact it's super helpful as ADF. You should get this book. This is the one that started it all for me. He was one of the first ones to come out with it.

The Alternate Day Diet

13 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yes exactly. I do that all the time! In fact it's super helpful as ADF. You should get this book. This is the one that started it all for me. He was one of the first ones to come out with it.

The Alternate Day Diet

Thanks. Just ordered it.

Hope you like it. I love it and still fall back on it. It really cured my asthma and helped my chronic pain and inflammation! And I find it's very easy to do 500cals per day. The real challenge comes once you are used to it, in getting enough cals on the UP days that you keep your metabolism stoked.

That will definitely be the challenge. I went on a strenuous hike Saturday - lost of steep terrain, both up and down, 4 1/2 hours, approximately 1800 cal burned. I am starting to hike/train for a rim-to-rim in one day Grand Canyon hike (24 miles) that is 1 mile down and then 1 mile up. The training hikes alone will burn so many thousands of calories, I can't imagine eating enough, so I think for me, I will have 500 cal days, 1200 cal days, and then 2000-2500 cal days (hiking days). I hope the book will help give some tips for this.

I think I will also end up on an elimination diet for a while if this EE comes back positive. (No wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, fish/shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts). Then add 1 at a time back. Only the soy, peanuts, and tree nuts will be hard, as I have already eliminated the others, for the most part. salad, Soup, seeds, grains, and veggies, with pea Protein powder. Yum Yum. Do-able. I found oat milk yogurt the other day that is pretty good! Never knew it existed, and amazingly, more Fiber, less carbs, and just as much protein as soy yogurt, with live cultures! Who knew?

Edited by AZhiker

14 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

That will definitely be the challenge. I went on a strenuous hike Saturday - lost of steep terrain, both up and down, 4 1/2 hours, approximately 1800 cal burned. I am starting to hike/train for a rim-to-rim in one day Grand Canyon hike (24 miles) that is 1 mile down and then 1 mile up. The training hikes alone will burn so many thousands of calories, I can't imagine eating enough, so I think for me, I will have 500 cal days, 1200 cal days, and then 2000-2500 cal days (hiking days). I hope the book will help give some tips for this.

I think I will also end up on an elimination diet for a while if this EE comes back positive. (No wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, fish/shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts). Then add 1 at a time back. Only the soy, peanuts, and tree nuts will be hard, as I have already eliminated the others, for the most part. salad, Soup, seeds, grains, and veggies, with pea Protein Powder. Yum Yum. Do-able. I found oat milk yogurt the other day that is pretty good! Never knew it existed, and amazingly, more Fiber, less carbs, and just as much Protein as soy yogurt, with live cultures! Who knew?

I think you're really gonna need to work with your RD/holistic doc to get a good gameplan up to where you are able to get enough nutrients and calories in you! Having to do elimination on TOP of vegan on TOP of ADF seem very scary larry to me. Just being frank here. But the healing that comes from activating SIRT genes is very real and well documented. I think you must listen to your body and its health first before making huge ginormous goals that zap your strength...((hugs))