Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

On 09/13/2019 at 12:03, FluffyChix said:

Happy birthday to you too!!! No I'm Virgo. Mr. F. is Libra though. :)

Thank you!!

My body just stopped losing weight when I hit 128 which was fine with me. My Doctor asked me to stop losing too.

I eat about 1000 to 1200 calories a day now, I slowly upped it from 800-1000. I hover between 128.2 and 130.2 like clockwork for over a month now. I haven’t been working out as hardcore so I know I have to keep my calories low. Once I get back to my gym routine I’ll be able to add calories. (I hope) I’m still walking and biking everyday but I’m not weight training because I still hate it.

11 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Question for the maintainers out there: how do you determine when its time to start weight loss/gain efforts or stay the same? I mean, do you have a specific amount over/under your maintenance weight that signals a time to get back to basics or increase calories? Or do you rely on what you see in the mirror? How your clothes fit? Body fat percentage?

I am starting to think that how much I actually weigh may no longer be a good indicator of whether I should be losing/maintaining/gaining....

Is your goal to look a certain way? (modeling, bodybuilding or sports) or just to maintain?

My goal is to stay healthy and wear the same size clothing. My closet is an investment. I refuse to buy larger or smaller sizes. Fitness goals. I’m not a professional athlete. I don’t worry about my body fat percentage. Weightlifting - bulking limit is 147lbs (*jeans super tight) Cutting to 130s by summer. I don't feel healthy below 125lbs

Wow am I glad I found this thread.
ATM, I’m still in weight loss mode, but I’m within 7 pounds of goal weight and within 17 pounds of my stretch goal weight.
It’s so hard to explain to people who haven’t gone through this process exactly why I have these 2 weights in my head and how important it is to stay within the goalposts on them.

Like @Cheeseburgh, I’m an incredibly slow loser, but it seems like in the last couple of months the weight is falling off faster than it did when I was 3-4 months PO.
After looking at my numbers, I realize I’m losing exactly the same, but that the loss is so much more dramatic bc I’m smaller.
Seeing the changes in my body over the last 6-8 weeks has really driven home that I need to have a maintenance plan because as UN-freaking-believable as it is, I’m almost at goal.
Right now I’m sitting at 5’7” and 162 with a BMI of 25.4%.

Now I had a really really bad weekend (as in 3 margaritas, 2 glasses of wine, and 1 old fashioned just on Friday) kind of weekend, so I’m doing some IF to get back on track, but I feel so unprepared and honestly don’t want to lose under my stretch goal of 145.

Great questions HealthyLife. I too am not willing to buy more clothes the difference between the low part of my window and the upper is is huge. Lower end i am pretty thin and the upper is a bit curvy. I hav some body perception mess and rarely feel thin so I stic with numbers and clothe fit to counter. Not an athlete but love n active life. Not a model though did a touch many moons ago. Just a mom a wife and a average 40 something still trying to maximum enjoy life.

ASIDE: Honestly, I love this forum. So good to read other's takes on the same issues.

Now in terms of the current issue at hand, I guess my goal is to just feel good. And like the way I look in the mirror.

Right now, I've got both.

I am "sort of" maintaining at around 1900 average cals I think. I've been between 114 and 117 for the past 6 weeks, and staying at the upper end of this range for the past 2. However, I seem to still be getting smaller (i.e., losing inches)?? My clothes continue to get looser at certain areas, BUT I don't actually SEE any noticeable weight coming off myself these same past 6 weeks. If anything, I think I am rounding/filling out, especially in my face (which I like because I was looking pretty "sunken" before).

I have never had a DEXA scan for the purposes of body fat determination, but my smart scale has me consistently at around 15-16% body fat since June so I don't think I'm building any huge amounts of muscle to explain the inch loss.

Sooooo...I'm not really sure if I should up calories, change my exercise regime, do nothing or what, as I don't want my clothes to get looser, even if I don't actually SEE me getting noticeably skinnier. (also, just to be sure it just wasn't me, I asked Mr and the Kid and they too do not think I got any skinnier over the summer, and that my face looks much healthier because the sunken cheeks and eye sockets have filled in...I was calling myself Skelator for a while back then!).

So yeah. I guess just like with everything else, I just gotta wait and see what happens, right?

Edited by ms.sss

37 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I think I am rounding/filling out, especially in my face (which I like because I was looking pretty "sunken" before).

I've personally noticed that if I eat more carbs, the more Water I retained & the fuller my face will look even if there in no true change in weight 😍

Also what more can you do (that you havent already tried or are willing to try) ? Sometimes you just have to ride the waves 🌊

I’m using the Lose It app. I am currently maintaining at 135. I put in the appt for a goal of 125 so it keeps my calories at 1332 a day. Is that too many? Too little? I put 125 in to see if I can get to that weight but so far no.

Oh I’m 5’4 1/2 surgeon goal for me was 145. I reached 135. Online says ideal weight for my height is 120s

8 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

I’m using the Lose It app. I am currently maintaining at 135. I put in the appt for a goal of 125 so it keeps my calories at 1332 a day. Is that too many? Too little? I put 125 in to see if I can get to that weight but so far no.

7 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

Oh I’m 5’4 1/2 surgeon goal for me was 145. I reached 135. Online says ideal weight for my height is 120s

I’ve noticed weight loss calories are not a one size fits all. What were your weight loss calories before you started using the lose it app? You may need to dial your calories up or down to find where your body loses weight.

11 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

^^ Yeah, what @Healthy_life2 said.

Best way to find out is to play around with your calories, track that and your exercise levels and see what happens. It took me about 3 months to figure out I maintain probably around 1900 with my exercise routine, and I'm 5'2", 117lbs.

15 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Wow am I glad I found this thread.
ATM, I’m still in weight loss mode, but I’m within 7 pounds of goal weight and within 17 pounds of my stretch goal weight.
It’s so hard to explain to people who haven’t gone through this process exactly why I have these 2 weights in my head and how important it is to stay within the goalposts on them.

Like @Cheeseburgh, I’m an incredibly slow loser, but it seems like in the last couple of months the weight is falling off faster than it did when I was 3-4 months PO.
After looking at my numbers, I realize I’m losing exactly the same, but that the loss is so much more dramatic bc I’m smaller.
Seeing the changes in my body over the last 6-8 weeks has really driven home that I need to have a maintenance plan because as UN-freaking-believable as it is, I’m almost at goal.
Right now I’m sitting at 5’7” and 162 with a BMI of 25.4%.

Now I had a really really bad weekend (as in 3 margaritas, 2 glasses of wine, and 1 old fashioned just on Friday) kind of weekend, so I’m doing some IF to get back on track, but I feel so unprepared and honestly don’t want to lose under my stretch goal of 145.

I’ve loved watching your progress. Can you believe how quick your weight loss has been???Amazing my friend.

To put your mind at ease, look at the bmi chart. If you are not in the under weight range you have wiggle room. Your weight loss will slow/stop with your maintenance food plan. It may take a little time for your body to adapt.

We are here for you. The transition is not easy.

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

ASIDE: Honestly, I love this forum. So good to read other's takes on the same issues.

Now in terms of the current issue at hand, I guess my goal is to just feel good. And like the way I look in the mirror.

Right now, I've got both.

I am "sort of" maintaining at around 1900 average cals I think. I've been between 114 and 117 for the past 6 weeks, and staying at the upper end of this range for the past 2. However, I seem to still be getting smaller (i.e., losing inches)?? My clothes continue to get looser at certain areas, BUT I don't actually SEE any noticeable weight coming off myself these same past 6 weeks. If anything, I think I am rounding/filling out, especially in my face (which I like because I was looking pretty "sunken" before).

I have never had a DEXA scan for the purposes of body fat determination, but my smart scale has me consistently at around 15-16% body fat since June so I don't think I'm building any huge amounts of muscle to explain the inch loss.

Sooooo...I'm not really sure if I should up calories, change my exercise regime, do nothing or what, as I don't want my clothes to get looser, even if I don't actually SEE me getting noticeably skinnier. (also, just to be sure it just wasn't me, I asked Mr and the Kid and they too do not think I got any skinnier over the summer, and that my face looks much healthier because the sunken cheeks and eye sockets have filled in...I was calling myself Skelator for a while back then!).

So yeah. I guess just like with everything else, I just gotta wait and see what happens, right?

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

but my smart scale has me consistently at around 15-16% body fat since June so I don't think I'm building any huge amounts of muscle to explain the inch loss.

Supper lean 15-16 body fat% I can only dream..lol

I understand the skeletor comment. When I hit goal, I noticed I burnt muscle with rapid weight loss. it was not a healthy look for me. After my weight stabilized, I looked healthier.

Since I started lifting, I can weigh more but wear smaller sizes. This may explain it better than I can.

**A pound of muscle weighs one pound! Muscle is more dense than fat. Denser materials take up less space. ... The result is just as in the image, fat has been burned and muscle built, but you should weigh the same; when muscle wins the battle of fat vs. muscle you look slimmer and fitter.***

59b1059772d5b01f091c4f1c54b31887.jpg

5d1499c4e140dab291cd1456e0ad4f15.jpg

10 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Supper lean body fat% I can only dream..lol

I understand the skeletor comment. When I hit goal, I noticed I burnt muscle with rapid weight loss. it was not a healthy look for me. After my weight stabilized, I looked healthier.

Since I started lifting, I can weigh more but wear smaller sizes. This may explain it better than I can.

**A pound of muscle weighs one pound! Muscle is more dense than fat. Denser materials take up less space. ... The result is just as in the image, fat has been burned and muscle built, but you should weigh the same; when muscle wins the battle of fat vs. muscle you look slimmer and fitter.***

59b1059772d5b01f091c4f1c54b31887.jpg

5d1499c4e140dab291cd1456e0ad4f15.jpg

Let me start by saying you look ABSOLUTELY amazing!!!! What a gorgeous figure!!!! In any of those 3 pics (they all look diff), but you are gorgeous!!!

So wild how subjective this is, but I think you physically looked leaner at 137lbs. Question for you...had you started weight loss shenanigans with food/sugar and booze at 137lbs?

Cuz you look like super low body fat on the right. It looks like you have abdominal padding (tiny bit more) on the left. That could be explained by bigger insulin responses to food...puts the fat storage first, on the lower abs.

Edited by FluffyChix

8 hours ago, Stella S said:

Great questions HealthyLife. I too am not willing to buy more clothes the difference between the low part of my window and the upper is is huge. Lower end i am pretty thin and the upper is a bit curvy. I hav some body perception mess and rarely feel thin so I stic with numbers and clothe fit to counter. Not an athlete but love n active life. Not a model though did a touch many moons ago. Just a mom a wife and a average 40 something still trying to maximum enjoy life.

Not average, you are a Bass ass chick who has accomplished so much.