Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

Definitely try a higher calorie shake if some sort if the volume of food is difficult. I actually have an Ensure every bus and then to help keep calories up. Our tummies only hold so much but can def handle a 8oz 220 calorie drink!

...every now and then that is! Where in the world did bus come from?![emoji23]
[emoji38]

Question for the maintainers out there: how do you determine when its time to start weight loss/gain efforts or stay the same? I mean, do you have a specific amount over/under your maintenance weight that signals a time to get back to basics or increase calories? Or do you rely on what you see in the mirror? How your clothes fit? Body fat percentage?

I am starting to think that how much I actually weigh may no longer be a good indicator of whether I should be losing/maintaining/gaining....

On 09/13/2019 at 08:34, ms.sss said:

Question for the maintainers out there: how do you determine when its time to start weight loss/gain efforts or stay the same? I mean, do you have a specific amount over/under your maintenance weight that signals a time to get back to basics or increase calories? Or do you rely on what you see in the mirror? How your clothes fit? Body fat percentage?

I am starting to think that how much I actually weigh may no longer be a good indicator of whether I should be losing/maintaining/gaining....

I do all of that except the fat percentage. I weigh every day. I know people say that’s not a good thing but for me that is what works for me and helps me stay on top of any changes before they become out of hand. I have a ten pound window I keep myself in. My goal was 135. I keep myself between 130-140. I like to sit right around 135. This is what works for me. It’s not for everyone but it’s how I stay on top of my weight maintenance

I weigh most days and plus have to fit into my clothes. I too use a 10 lbs window with 125 lbs my happy place. I was up over the summer but am back in the window. My scale always is kind to provide a fat percentage. About 18-20 percent.

52 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

I do all of that except the fat percentage. I weigh every day. I know people say that’s not a good thing but for me that is what works for me and helps me stay on top of any changes before they become out of hand. I have a ten pound window I keep myself in. My goal was 135. I keep myself between 130-140. I like to sit right around 135. This is what works for me. It’s not for everyone but it’s how I stay on top of my weight maintenance

Yep. After much angst and help from you guys, this is exactly what I'm trying to do--rookie that I am!

At the first of the week, I was dismayed to find myself at 139lbs. Yikes! This morning I'm back down to 135.2lbs. I have a lean weekend planned cuz next week is birthday and a small surgery. So I hope to be back to 133lbs before it all starts up on Wednesday. :)

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

If I didn't have plastics planned, I'm not sure what my goal weight/appearance would be. I personally find my body to be too thin, for my liking, with the exception of my stomach. The excess tummy fat bothers me, but conversely the lack of body fat/skin laxity on my butt, thighs & boobs bother me as well.

For right now, I have an upper limit of 130 lbs. It's really only there for two reasons. I feel like I need some kind of guardrail, so I don't starting gaining again. Also, I want to be lean for my upcoming plastics. I'm going to ask my surgeon if I should get even leaner, and if that would improve the results of my LBL.

I'd say my lower limit is 125 currently. My lowest weight is 125.4, and I've hit that a few times. I don't have any desire to go lower than that, unless my plastic surgeon advises me to.

It's definitely more about how I feel and how I look than a number on the scale. Once my tummy is flattened with plastics, I'll see if I can play around with my weight a little bit. I honestly miss my curves. I would like to have a fuller butt again, and wouldn't mind fuller hips and thighs. When I look at pics of myself during the WL process, I find myself most attractive in the 140-160 range. I'm not sure if I'd want to get up to 160. I'd be pretty far above a normal BMI. That weight might make me feel "heavier", harder on my feet in heels etc., but we'll see!

On 09/13/2019 at 10:42, FluffyChix said:

Yep. After much angst and help from you guys, this is exactly what I'm trying to do--rookie that I am!

At the first of the week, I was dismayed to find myself at 139lbs. Yikes! This morning I'm back down to 135.2lbs. I have a lean weekend planned cuz next week is birthday and a small surgery. So I hope to be back to 133lbs before it all starts up on Wednesday. :)

That’s awesome and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Mine is this month too! Libra?

I should also mention I’m only 15 mos out. I have noticed being hungry more often. I tho k I need to up my Water in take but sometimes that’s hard bc of planning around eating and taking small sips

3 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

That’s awesome and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Mine is this month too! Libra?

Happy birthday to you too!!! No I'm Virgo. Mr. F. is Libra though. :)

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I think being in the normal BMI is good however due to our extra skin and probably more muscle than the average person at the same weight I would look sick at a low end of the normal BMI. I am also now is size 4 jeans and feel like that is the lowest size I want to be. A lot of small tops fit but some are still baggie around me but tighter in the arms. I don't want to have to shop in a juniors department and would if I dropped another 10 pounds.

12 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I think being in the normal BMI is good however due to our extra skin and probably more muscle than the average person at the same weight I would look sick at a low end of the normal BMI. I am also now is size 4 jeans and feel like that is the lowest size I want to be. A lot of small tops fit but some are still baggie around me but tighter in the arms. I don't want to have to shop in a juniors department and would if I dropped another 10 pounds.

Hahahahahaha I'm already wearing kids clothes. I've got my 13-year old's hand me downs (that she wore couple years ago) in my closet. Gap kids size 12-14. Abercrombie Kids size 12. I'm pretty short and lost all my boobs so it works 😂

Edited by ms.sss

47 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Hahahahahaha I'm already wearing kids clothes. I've got my 13-year old's hand me downs (that she wore couple years ago) in my closet. Gap kids size 12-14. Abercrombie Kids size 12. I'm pretty short and lost all my boobs so it works 😂

I guess if it is still age appropriate it would work. I think I am too wide across my shoulders for kids clothes.

6 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I had a DEXAscan when I weighed 146 (I hover around 150 now). I thought I had another 10-15 lbs to go, but the technician said my body fat percentage was 22%, which is considered lean for women. In other words, within the normal range, but on the lower end. She advised I consider stopping my weight loss. My PCP agreed. I did eventually get down to 138, but I felt too thin. I knew it was time to switch into maintenance mode.