Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

LOLZ

@Healthy_life2, @FluffyChix, if I have somehow managed to gaslight you into thinking I have a body like THAT, then my work here is done.

*drops mic*

😂

My Doctor does a before, a 6 month and a one year Dexa scan. I never got the before one because that appointment was right when they were moving and it wasn’t unpacked. I don’t remember my numbers from 6 months or even from last month! I do know they improved a lot. If I recall correctly I am on the high normal side.

The word normal is not usually associated with me so I’ll take it.

6 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

LOLZ

@Healthy_life2, @FluffyChix, if I have somehow managed to gaslight you into thinking I have a body like THAT, then my work here is done.

*drops mic*

😂

DONE! I swear, that's who I thought it was. And I was stumped like dayum, why does she look tight as crap at 137 but looks like she has a tiny bit of bloated tummy at 123? I was scratching my head tryin to find my way out of a paper bag! ROFLMFAO!!! Good job!

19 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

But I do bring up the diff in low abdomens too...I have noticed, since adding back some very limited maintenance crap, that even though my weight is low (at 133 this morning now at 131.6), my tummy/hip measurement is slightly larger than it was when I weighed close to 140lbs. I can only attribute it to the question I'd posed to @ms.sss. I think that even adding my treats and the occasional wine or booze, is giving me more insulin response and I'm gaining weight in my lower abs from it. Thoughts?

While I don't notice any "enlargement" in my lower abdomen since increasing carbs (ie., food and drink shenanigans), I have noticed "hardening" (most likely bloating) there...which I actually don't mind cuz it makes it look nicer/firmer, lol.

My measurements are still slowly getting smaller everywhere except my thighs, which seem to be staying the same or possibly getting a tiny bit bigger...?

Ok, I just got to get serious about resistance training. *big gulp* (hate it so much==but I wanna get smaller everywhere dammit)

7 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, I just got to get serious about resistance training. *big gulp* (hate it so much==but I wanna get smaller everywhere dammit)

I hated it too when I started (and still do, to be honest), but it makes such a difference (the condition of my arms just after 3-ish months of strength training makes me super happy).

Once you start seeing the results, it will suddenly become easier :).

Don't forget to take before pics!!

I know...it's not even an option. I HAVE to build strength and muscle. It is a non-negotiable part of all of this or else I will end up struggling so hard in maintenance.

Thanks for inspiring and encouraging!

Edited by FluffyChix

2 hours ago, brittmarr1 said:

I’m doing terrible with adding food to live forever on this maintenance.
I am totally depressed I spent 2 months in Florida walked a mile or two every day stayed below 1000 calories a day and lost nothing!!! Now I’m gaining since I’m home probably cuz I am so disgusted. I can only eat small amounts but am hungry an hour later. I was never hungry like this before I had surgery. Ugh it was hell having the prep surgery and post op issues and why to be so unhappy. Help. Do I need a string?

Have you determined whether there are certain foods that set off your hunger alarm bells? It might be that you have more wiggle room if you can eliminate some foods that increase your cravings. Good luck!

On 09/17/2019 at 08:51, Cheeseburgh said:

My Doctor does a before, a 6 month and a one year Dexa scan. I never got the before one because that appointment was right when they were moving and it wasn’t unpacked. I don’t remember my numbers from 6 months or even from last month! I do know they improved a lot. If I recall correctly I am on the high normal side.

The word normal is not usually associated with me so I’ll take it.

Wow. Dexa scan wasn’t even part of my program.
Didn’t realize that was even an option.

Wish I’d thought of this before my insurance reset June 1st.

And speaking of training, I’m bout to head out the door for a level 2 Pilates class.
*gulp*

Well I did want to challenge myself so hopefully I don’t find myself totally in over my head.

14 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

I'm not going through my insurance. I'm not even sure if mine would cover it. But check what local options you have. My scan is only $45

2 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

you don't want the doctor kind (the kind insurance would cover). That only measures bone density. You want one of the commercial ones - or sports ones. That covers bone density AND body composition. Body composition is the one that tells you the percentage breakdown of fat, muscle, and bone. THAT is what you want. Unless you're just interested in bone density (e.g., to see if you have osteoporosis). Either type will tell you that.

it's done the same way - but the doctor ones don't measure body composition. I'm sure they COULD measure body composition, but doctors aren't interested in that part, so it's not included.

Edited by catwoman7

Thanks for the info guys.
So I’ve decided that my bday present to myself next month is a dexa scan
Lol, normal people just wouldn’t get it, would they?

6 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Thanks for the info guys.
So I’ve decided that my bday present to myself next month is a dexa scan
Lol, normal people just wouldn’t get it, would they?

Hahaha! Nope! Not a bit! Can't wait to hear your numbers!!!

A DXA is gonna be my Christmas pressie. I got Mary Kay Age Defying things for my birthday (today). :D And a pumpkin spice mochaloca latte after ralking a 3K at 5am. (apropos of nothing)

Edited by FluffyChix

DEXA is a good option to know your exact body composition.

I've never had a DEXA or BODY POD scan. I’m into fitness to stay healthy. I’m not a competitive lifter or professional athlete. I use a cheap bed bath and beyond body composition scale. It gives me my weight, fat percentage, Water weight, bone density. its not 100% accurate just a guideline. I know body fat percentage. I just keep plugging away on my fitness goals.

my cheap body composition scale:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/weight-watchers-reg-by-conair-trade-body-analysis-digital-bathroom-scale/5080596?keyword=weight-watchers-scale

I read this article

https://www.dexafit.com/blog2//benefits-of-a-body-composition-analysis

benefits of having a body composition analysis: Assessing bone density and body composition. then devising a plan for muscle gain and fat loss in specific areas.

If I’m already on a lifting plan and building lean body mass, I’m not sure what the benefit of the scan will do for me.

Your thoughts?