Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hey all, I just had surgery on 5/6. I lost 20 Pounds. ! Everything has been going perfect. Except the heart burn. if i drink Water or anything my chest immediately catches on fire lol . I just started taking the 1 tablet a day the DR prescribed but honestly is this forever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be, but probably not. Presumably, the doc has prescribed omeprazole, or similar PPI medication for it. The sleeve is predisposed toward reflux problems as the stomach volume is reduced much more than the acid producing capacity, and it takes a while for the body to adjust (doesn't mean that one will have that problem, just that the odds are higher than the general population, in comparison, the bypass is predisposed toward marginal ulcers, dumping and reactive hypoglycemia, so there are potential problems with whatever procedure one chooses. )

Usually, the problem goes away as the body adjusts, but sometimes it doesn't completely and one needs to stay on some type of medication for it, or in extreme cases, revise the surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes - that can be a side effect of the sleeve. It may go away (you're still pretty early out), but then again, it might not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was pretty intense right after I started solid and continued for about a month, then it went away and I haven't had acid reflux or GERD since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

yes - that can be a side effect of the sleeve. It may go away (you're still pretty early out), but then again, it might not.

oh my . This is one of the things i wish i knew before surgery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GradyCat said:

Mine was pretty intense right after I started solid and continued for about a month, then it went away and I haven't had acid reflux or GERD since then.

I hope this isnt a life long issue. It makes me not what to consume anything at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both my wife and I had sleeve surgery in 2013. She has acid reflux constantly and I have sour stomach no matter what I eat. Side effect of the surgery. Not a big fan of sleeve surgery but, too late now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dabeyhive said:

oh my . This is one of the things i wish i knew before surgery

I'm surprised they didn't tell you that. I had GERD even before surgery, so my surgeon recommended RNY due to that. But not everyone who gets the sleeve has GERD issues - and sometimes it does go away after awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, xring3 said:

Both my wife and I had sleeve surgery in 2013. She has acid reflux constantly and I have sour stomach no matter what I eat. Side effect of the surgery. Not a big fan of sleeve surgery but, too late now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whats a sour stomach. ? We i consume anything i get this wierd feeling that causes me to muscle spasm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm surprised they didn't tell you that. I had GERD even before surgery, so my surgeon recommended RNY due to that. But not everyone who gets the sleeve has GERD issues - and sometimes it does go away after awhile.

No , I use to have heart burn but thats because i would eat stupid stuff like pizza in the morning. But this feeling makes me feel like my chest is about to explode. I hope the feeling does go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats a sour stomach. ? We i consume anything i get this wierd feeling that causes me to muscle spasm

Upset stomach


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a couple of years now there have been reports of the danger of heartburn drugs/PPI blockers like zantac that are commonly used to help with the side effects of gastric surgery.

Today Canada officially recalled these drugs due to their link to cancer.

Personally, I am completely dependent on these drugs due to the acid reflux side effect of my gastric sleeve. If you use these prescriptions daily, I strongly urge you to contact your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/70989a-eng.php?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=77363999&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8zLyVDfQD8I8hCu3-XeY7Fh97rFTkpD6v27F37TI29RzLKaNdKiDz_TiM1BKOzRo_NfiS6IqmuYpTuPc_HRfMUlmpaxA&_hsmi=77363999
image-0.00596046447753906.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/26/2019 at 20:07, berry girl said:

For a couple of years now there have been reports of the danger of heartburn drugs/PPI blockers like zantac that are commonly used to help with the side effects of gastric surgery.



Today Canada officially recalled these drugs due to their link to cancer.



Personally, I am completely dependent on these drugs due to the acid reflux side effect of my gastric sleeve. If you use these prescriptions daily, I strongly urge you to contact your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.



https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/70989a-eng.php?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=77363999&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8zLyVDfQD8I8hCu3-XeY7Fh97rFTkpD6v27F37TI29RzLKaNdKiDz_TiM1BKOzRo_NfiS6IqmuYpTuPc_HRfMUlmpaxA&_hsmi=77363999

image-0.00596046447753906.jpg

Please DO NOT stop taking reflux meds without speaking to your doctor.
The damage that can be done in stopping FAR OUTWEIGHS any potential (and the link is definitely not proven yet) harm.

I’m the person who had been a life-long GERD sufferer.
My surgeon did an endoscopy and luckily I didn’t have damage so I was sleeved almost 8 months ago.
I still take a PPI a couple times weekly because if I stop altogether my reflux hits.
Take them every day for the first 6 months, then discuss the next step with your surgical team.
For me, the risk of still having the GERD was worth the sleeve vs bypass because I really didn’t want to have to deal with all of the malabsorption issues.

That being said, everyone has to choose their type of surgery based off of many factors and each kind has its pros and cons.

There just might be a day when my body decides it doesn’t need to produce an insane amount of acid anymore, but there could just as easily be a day when the PPIs don’t work anymore and I have to be revised.

Either way I’m willing to roll with it and do what needs to be done to maintain as healthy status for myself as I possibly can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • jparadigm

      Happy Wednesday!
       
      I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

        Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

    • ChunkCat

      Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 1 reply
      1. AmberFL

        omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

    • jparadigm

      Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

      Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Dawn 1974

      4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×