Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach hungry but brain is not?

I am 10 days into my sleeve and this morning I have noticed my stomach starting to rumble which stopped after I finished my Protein Shake. Whats weird is how my brain is processing it and the best way to describe it is confused. I am eager to move to full liquid to see what my sleeve will handle with semi solids like yogurt. Is this normal at all? I have not deviated from the clear liquid at all yet. I havent felt that tingling or full sensation since day two when I first began to sip liquids. I can handle 8oz of liquid so far no problem but havent attempted to go beyond that. I have my first follow up on Thursday.

you likely won't feel full for awhile. For one thing, you haven't started up on solid foods yet (and once you do, you'll start feeling the restriction), and for another, some of your nerves were cut during surgery - it takes awhile for them to heal. I had to spend the first few months just measuring/weighing whatever I was eating because my body signals were off.

^^^This. Absolutely. But even more, try to embrace and encourage your ambivalence! By doing that, you can maximize this vacation from food!! At this point look at it as I need to eat "x" or "y" to meet my Protein goals for the day. I need to drink "x" or "y" to get my liquids in. The End.

Delay experimentation. Delay adding extras. Go for as long as you can on minimal. I swear the weight will just fly off you if you do!!! Cuz reality is, that all too soon, you will be fighting with your head hunger and body hunger. And all too soon you will be eating and eating larger and larger amounts. And your weight loss will dramatically slow, or stop completely, or become a gain.

This is the magical time. Congrats!!

19 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

reality is, that all too soon, you will be fighting with your head hunger and body hunger. And all too soon you will be eating and eating larger and larger amounts. And your weight loss will dramatically slow, or stop completely, or become a gain.

Agreed!

I am enjoying this ambivalence but it feels off. I want to have that fullness feeling because one of the biggest reasons for having the surgery was because I would never feel satisfied on normal portion sizes. Not having that fullness cue really make me mad given the amount of money I paid for that exact purpose. With better choices and Portion Control these changes will get much closer to my goal.

Edited by Brent701

4 hours ago, Brent701 said:

I am 10 days into my sleeve and this morning I have noticed my stomach starting to rumble which stopped after I finished my Protein Shake. Whats weird is how my brain is processing it and the best way to describe it is confused. I am eager to move to full liquid to see what my sleeve will handle with semi solids like yogurt. Is this normal at all? I have not deviated from the clear liquid at all yet. I havent felt that tingling or full sensation since day two when I first began to sip liquids. I can handle 8oz of liquid so far no problem but havent attempted to go beyond that. I have my first follow up on Thursday.

This sounds like stomach acid to me, not hunger. Are you on a PPI?

14 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

I am enjoying this ambivalence but it feels off. I want to have that fullness feeling because one of the biggest reasons for having the surgery was because I would never feel satisfied on normal portion sizes. With better choices and Portion Control these changes will get much closer to my goal.

Feeling satisfied and full are two different things. The farther you get post op, the more capacity your stomach will have. If you are always chasing the full feeling, it will be very easy to overeat, both quantity and frequency. If you can learn to enjoy the feeling of being satisfied, but not full, then that will make the path much easier.

15 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

I am enjoying this ambivalence but it feels off. I want to have that fullness feeling because one of the biggest reasons for having the surgery was because I would never feel satisfied on normal portion sizes. Not having that fullness cue really make me mad given the amount of money I paid for that exact purpose. With better choices and Portion Control these changes will get much closer to my goal.

Yes. This can be part of the grieving process for many. That "full" feels different--flatter--satisfaction free or blunted. I chose to embrace it and be thrilled by it. Like "Buh Bye Felicia--you were never good to me anyway..." kinda thing. You know? But many are saddened and bummed by it. It's very normal.

Your nerves were cut and parts rearranged. So your gut isn't really talking to your brain very well. Give it a few months. I swear you WILL feel a new sence of restriction or fullness. But for some of us, we have to kind play by the rules until that happens. And you're right, it is maddening. I was angry about that too and felt jipped! But I had to move past it emotionally. You will too.

I still have a larger capacity btw. But I'm almost at goal #3 in a little over a year and I'm a slow loser! You will do great if you use this time to the max and look at "how little it takes" of the most boring foods. Rather than looking at missing things.

Congrats to all of your amazing losses you are all bariatric veterans. When i say full/satisfied I meant the same thing. Not on a PPI.

7 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

Congrats to all of your amazing losses you are all bariatric veterans. When i say full/satisfied I meant the same thing. Not on a PPI.

Full and satisfied are actually different sensations for me. I had to learn to differentiate between the two.

I'd definitely recommend talking to your Dr. about getting on a PPI, pretty standard post op protocol.

47 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Full and satisfied are actually different sensations for me. I had to learn to differentiate between the two.

I'd definitely recommend talking to your Dr. about getting on a PPI, pretty standard post op protocol.

A MEEEELION percent agree with this!!

Yes I am on something I didnt realize it was a PPI. 30 days something for stomach acid.

Last night i was cleared for full liquids and today I tried Dannon light and fit and sf pudding. My plan calls for 1oz but I was able to finish both 4 oz cups. I assume this feeling of restriction is going to come from foods that are more dense. Perhaps greek yogurt I would feel it more just have to get some from the store. Is the 1oz per serving more of a safety thing or weight loss related because Im only getting a bit over 330 calories per day all from my Protein Shakes so far and cant see the harm in having a 4oz serving of yogurt or pudding.

Still not feeling any signs of hunger or cravings.

Starting on puree I have finally started to notice the fullness feeling but only in more dense foods. I am not thrilled in this stage because its a lot of work and preparation for a pretty short period of time and I dont want to ruin foods i do like by pureeing them. I am glad to see things are working as I hoped they would!

edit: scrambled egg this morning is not sitting well but yesterday I had one fine. I am going to revisit in 2 weeks or so to see how I handle it.

Edited by Brent701

2 hours ago, Brent701 said:

Starting on puree I have finally started to notice the fullness feeling but only in more dense foods. I am not thrilled in this stage because its a lot of work and preparation for a pretty short period of time and I dont want to ruin foods i do like by pureeing them. I am glad to see things are working as I hoped they would!

edit: scrambled egg this morning is not sitting well but yesterday I had one fine. I am going to revisit in 2 weeks or so to see how I handle it.

Brent, it's hard. This time is really super hard. Try to embrace it. It's filled with ups and downs. The less you eat and challenge now, the quicker the weight loss. I've had MANY docs tell me that the 1st 2 months is when you will lose the most amount of weight in a month. So try to just sit back, embrace the fluctuations of "now you can and now you can't" (food tolerance) and rest assured, there WILL come a time, when you will eat normally again--and prolly a time you will stress that you are once again able to eat too much. It's a dance. And a marathon.

Hello all, I am 3 days post OP, whenever I drink Water or the shakes after I swallowed and got to the stomach. My stomach started to rumble like it's gassy. And also feels like I need to pass gas, but even will have a bowel movement if I try to 🤷🏽‍♀️ what do I do?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app