Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill,what's normal?

Hello everyone, I had my first fill yesterday, 4cc's in a 10cc band. It went very well, I did not mind it at all. So now I am on liquids for 48 hours and then puree for another 48 hours. When I drink I can feel it sitting there and after a few seconds it goes down. It does not hurt it is just a weird uncomfortable feeling. I now have this fear when I begin solids again I may choak or something. Is it normal for the Fluid to sit for a few seconds befor it goes down? If so will that go away after a few days? I can't imagine what I will feel like on solids again.

Thanks , Sherrylynn

Hey Sherrylynn... just wondering if you can confirm something for me. Is it a radiologist that actually sticks the needle into your port and injects the saline, while Dr. Beausoleil watches, or does he physically do any of the procedure?

(I think you're doing fine, by the way :) )

Hey there Mandi, you got it right yes the radiologist injects the saline while Dr. B watches it on X-ray. I was so nervous but there was nothing to it.

Mandi, there were also 2 others present, 2 women i'm not sure if they are technicians nurses or other, Someone told me Dr. B's wife is one of them but I can't comfirm that.

That is what it was like for me post op. I then had all the Fluid removed until I could heal up. The fluid would just sit there and then slowly go down.

Nume130, I am trying to avoid having defill, I think I need to consentrate more on my chewing and my bite sizes. Still trying to learn how to use the band properly. this is such a learning experience. you never know what to expect.I will keep pluggging along.

Hi Everyone my BMI is 38 I weight 230 and i'm 46 . I just had knee surgery And Dr said its not getting any better and that I have to lose weight and wait until I'm 55 to get my both knees replaced..I was thinking of this procedure and wondering if I'm an emotional eater will it be even harded to follow and is this one savee then getting your stomach stapled..thanks Karen from PEI

For what it is worth, I would suggest the band is less harmful than stomach stapling. The band is placed around the top of the stomach creating a pouch not like staples. I have heard terrible things about stomach staples being ripped because of overeating. With the band, all you do is upchuck. I am an emotional eater with a fill level of 5.5 ccs out of 10 and I feel I have good restriction. I must weigh my food as I can't tell what is a 3 oz portion or a 6 oz portion. No matter what you try, you will still have to battle head hunger and grazing. All the band does is make you feel full sooner and prevents you from overeating at the moment. You can still eat "bad" calories such as wine, chocolate, ice cream etc. The band is a tool you must make it work for you. The band is not a magic panacea. Doddie

Wow I was glad to read what everyone was saying I was wondering what I was going to feel too.

I was told I didn't need to go on fluids at all after the fill just chew lots and take small bites. It was actually in the evening so they just said take it easy tonight.

My problem is I don't really feel any different. He said it is 3 cc now,I can't wait till my next fill cause I don't feel any restriction.Is that normal?

Relax mommyoftwolittle, your first fill is usually loose. Everyone is different, but most people don't feel restriction until 5 or more ccs. The average for a 10 cc band is 7 but others require less. For instance, I am at 5.5 cc and am at a perfect restriction for my needs. I am able to take my medications without having to crush them, plus I cannot eat more than 8 oz of food per meal. I have the "full" feeling when I have 3 oz of hard Protein and total 4 oz of veggies/fruit. Take your fills slow and easy, because it sometimes takes a few days for he restriction to show up. I went for 8 months with a 5 cc fill then got my .5 cc two months ago. Just a word of advice, don't rush it. You don't want to get into the fill/defill mode. More chance of damaging your port and tubing by needle. Doddie

Thanx thats a relief.

My doctors did the fill without xray,I have inquired about that and they resure me its fine without that if there's problems then it is needed. Is that normal also?