Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys! Just curious... how many carbs do you have a day? I'm 6 weeks post OP and I know we try to stay low carb but have never gotten a clear answer. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would like a number to,cannot get primary or nutritionist to give me a straight answer. If ya say low carb diet,explain low carb,right?

Mine said when I'm at full food that we should shoot for 60-75.

I would like a number to,cannot get primary or nutritionist to give me a straight answer. If ya say low carb diet,explain low carb,right?
Same here. They tell me to eat "half a cup" 4 to 5x a day and I'll be good.

Most programs don't have a carb target or limit. Just about every program says Protein first, followed by green veg, and lastly carbs. If you follow that your carb count will be low

This is a tricky one as I have seen people post saying that they do not count carbs at all that they only count calories. I have never really seen a straight answer on this question. I am not sure which is more important, low calories or low carbs?

mine encourages below 50g a day

I'm a year post-op. I'd say I average about 60g of carbs per day.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, Walter.Sobchak said:

This is a tricky one as I have seen people post saying that they do not count carbs at all that they only count calories. I have never really seen a straight answer on this question. I am not sure which is more important, low calories or low carbs?

The answer is both! First off, you don't count total carbs because the carbs that you eat in the form of Fiber and sugar alcohols generally pass through undigested and don't contributed to weight gain or energy productiion. You have to deduct them from your total carb intake--so the focus is on net carbs. I am personally follow an ultra-low carb diet and try to keep my total carb intake under 30 net grams (usually under 20). I also count calories and track what I eat. I budget 1500 calories a day, with 45 percent come from Protein, 45 percent from fat (healthy fats) andn 10% from carbs. It's working for me.

I would love to know as well! They never gave me any specification on the carbs just eat Protein protein protein!

And they won't ever give you a straight answer, cuz there is no one size fits all for WLS diets, nor any diet. :D

Clear as mud, right?

The right plan and the "right" amount of carbs for YOUR body is the diet that you can stick to and embrace for the rest of your life. But what is that diet? You have to hack your own metabolism to see which will work for you in the long term.

In the immediate/recovery/post surgery diet progression then purposely don't give you carb or calorie targets. Why? Cuz you are hopefully eating only minuscule quantities. So they ONLY want you to focus on Protein. Protein. Protein. Protein! :D Then as @sillykitty said, leafy green veggies, then low carb veg, fruit, nutbutters/nuts/seeds, complex carbs. If you do that right and eat protein forward, then you eat very low carb as Steve said.

As a female, most goals are 60-100g or protein. Mine was 60-80g/day or exactly 74g protein. :D

Because I too am very carb sensitive and had a crapton of insulin in response to foods, I eat a very low carb healthy fat diet. It keeps me slowly losing and helps me maintain muscle. As @SteveT74 does, I shoot for my protein goal, then try to stop at 30g total carbs (mostly from veggies/nuts/seeds/dairy/a bit of berries), and the fat falls where it does until I hit my calorie goal for the day. Because I lose slowly and have lots of metabolic issues, I have to be between 650-800cals/day to lose. So it's not much fat right now...

Most solid girl losers I know, have to keep their calories in that lose range of 650-900cals/day to lose well.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, Tejee said:

Hi guys! Just curious... how many carbs do you have a day? I'm 6 weeks post OP and I know we try to stay low carb but have never gotten a clear answer. Thanks!

All instructions for weight loss and maintain will look different – Contact your dietician for clarification.

Many dieticians don’t worry about calorie and carb ranges until real food stage. Your restriction is tight and it’s hard to consume your 60 to 100 grams of Protein. You should be given your calorie and macro goals as you progress.

My instructions are almost 5 years old. (Real food stage)

My dietician had me stay under 50 to 60 g of carbs. (No bread, crackers white rice or white potatoes) Most of my carbohydrates came from veggies

Maintaining instructions

Once I lost 75% of my weight, I added in low glycemic carbs to slow/stop my weight loss. Sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat bread and Pasta

Like others have stated above, everyone will have a different recipe for what works for them. What works for one, may not work for the other. With that said, I watch/track calories and carbs (and Protein, fibre, fat).

These were two goals my nutritionist set for me, which I consider my primary daily goals (I don't always meet them, but I do the majority of the time):

• 70g protein
  • minimum 2.5L Water, the more the better.

The next two I set for myself:

• Net carbs under 20g.
  • Fat, I put a limit of 20-30g (but this is the most flexible macro I watch/track). I have noticed that if I take in more fat over consecutive days, my bathroom regularity improves.

I end up averaging about 500 cals a day*.

* I know this sounds like a small amount of cals, but I don't feel deprived nor starving...primarily due to the restriction of my sleeve (sometimes I think my surgeon may not have meant to make it this size, but whatevs, I'll take it). I am physically satisfied with the amounts I eat at meals. My nutritionist last month said she would like to see me take in more calories, but not to force it, if I can't. I'm sure I could choose more fatty, high-carb foods to do this, but honestly, I don't want to. In any case, both she and my surgeon were satisfied with my progress.

P.S. I am also only 5'1".