Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain After Sleeve (Seeking Advice Not Judgment)

Was sleeved in 2016, weight before pre-op diet was 453 pounds. Surgery weight was 429. Lowest weight was 330. My current weight is 399 pounds. Not gonna blame it on stress or anything. Was just very undisciplined. Is there any advice anyone can give me me or is there anyone on here whos been through this or is currently going through this??

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Crap! I was trying to quote this to continue a train of thought and accidentally erased it! Derp! Ok, lemme see if I can recreate it. Sorry, it is harsh. It is a harsh truth. :(

You should see your surgeon about alternatives. Maybe this is the wrong surgery for you? Maybe you need a Phase II = DS which has malabsorption involved with it? Also, get your RD on board to help you with a plan and if you aren't getting help already, ask your surgeon for a consult to a bariatric therapist--one who can help you understand your relationships and how they affect your eating.

Surgery is a tool. It isn't magical. Too many try to let the surgery do all the work. But it's not a tool with it's own engine. It's passive unless you apply repetitive force/action to it all the time with each bite/meal. Just like a hammer, it will just sit there like a rock unless you pick it up and actively use it correctly to drive a nail home.

You HAVE to want to actively change and give up old ineffective behaviors and relationships with food. You have to be ready to break up with comfort food and crap for at least 90-95% of your daily diet--every day--world without end--amen.

Are you ready for that?

Edited by FluffyChix

52 minutes ago, CarlAllen_95 said:

Was sleeved in 2016, weight before pre-op diet was 453 pounds. Surgery weight was 429. Lowest weight was 330. My current weight is 399 pounds. Not gonna blame it on stress or anything. Was just very undisciplined. Is there any advice anyone can give me me or is there anyone on here whos been through this or is currently going through this??

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

No judgment, Glad you are asking for help

Gains can happen to any of us. (I’ve had one) Weight loss mode and maintaining is work. None of this is easy, right? Reality is its not going to be easy. But you can do some things to turn this around.

Therapy and counseling may help you address your relationship with food, why your discipline is lacking and getting back on track. Your surgeon can talk to you about all your options.

Doing this on your own or with help is a mental battle. Except that you will feel crappy and have cravings while you detox off the extra calorie’s carbs and sugar. Many go back to bariatric basics, Keto paleo vegan. Log your food is the only way you will know if you are eating your weight loss calories and macros.

Joining a weight loss challenge can help you stay on track.

Keep us updated. Your battle with this is going to help others dealing with the same situation. Many come here looking for solutions and then disappear from the site. I hope you stay around and give people insight from your experience.

32 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You HAVE to want to actively change and give up old ineffective behaviors and relationships with food. You have to be ready to break up with comfort food and crap for at least 90-95% of your daily diet--every day--world without end--amen.

Are you ready for that?

You may think I eat the most boring food from this. But the reality is I don't live in deprivation. This isn't a white knuckle journey! But I still manage to eat REALLY healthy, calorie light/nutrient dense real food every day--about 95% of the time in fact. That's why the other 5% I'm ok with having treats.

I just had to learn that I had to find replacements for the things I crave. For instance, I love fried chicken as much as every other Southerner! But do I drive through Popeye's or KFC or Frenchie's? Nope. Do I eat the great fried chickie or fried shrimp my sissie makes? Nope. But tonight I'm making air fryer chicken nuggets breaded with a little "cauli-flour" + pork rind crumbs + parmesan + tiny bit of almond flour + spices. It's a fraction of the calories, carbs, and fat. But I will be full and my craving will be extinguished.

If I'm feeling energetic enough, I will make smashed roasted cauliflower to replace mashed potatoes, and I will whip up a low fat/low cal brown gravy and have my broccoli or green Beans or cole slaw. I know tomorrow I will wake up and not have gained weight from that meal. It fits my macros and calorie target. I've worked out my other meals for the day so I know this big meal will work for me. I log my food: weigh and measure and report everything that goes down my piehole.

And today it's working for me. When it no longer works, it will be time for me to reassess and adjust what I put in my mouth and when.

People that gain (me included) already know how to eat and work our plan. No need for me to get back into bariatric instructions all over again, right? With less sleeve restriction I had to find ways to keep hunger at bay and fill the extra stomach space.(many of us can give you tips if you want them)

9 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

People that gain (me included) already know how to eat and work our plan. No need for me to get back into bariatric instructions all over again, right? With less sleeve restriction I had to find ways to keep hunger at bay and fill the extra stomach space.(many of us can give you tips if you want them)

IDK. I think you are a fairly unique lady and VET. Maybe in the top 1-3% of people/"types". You DID learn your lessons while losing. You DID incorporate your doc/RD instructions and adapted them to work for you long term. And when you experience regain for any reason, you've set a protocol that is inspiring and amazing to watch. And it gives me hope for my future--that I'm not doomed to regain it all without being able to maintain. Because you quickly and efficiently go back to your roots and get rid of the regain.

I feel like the OP has not done the work. Or maybe the surgery was the wrong surgery for him/her? We are all so unique, one solution won't fit all.

1 hour ago, GetBack_095 said:

Not gonna blame it on stress or anything. Was just very undisciplined. Is there any advice anyone can give me me or is there anyone on here whos been through this or is currently going through this??

They claim the reason for the regain and for not getting lower to their goal was based on undisciplined behavior. But if you lack discipline before, what will change this time? How will you magically change for good? Any of us can do things for short periods of time. But being "habilitated" sometimes, even more than being "RE-habilitated" is important. Not all of us can do that on our own. Not everyone learns things the first time. Maybe some of us DO need the surgeon revision or the RD new plan/accountability that meetings provide? Maybe we DO need bariatric therapy to discover what is driving us to self-harming behaviors?

It usually isn't the short game that's the problem for any of us...it's playing for the long game. It is about changing lifelong behaviors for long term success. And that's a TALL order for most of us (the other 97%).

Dunno...just spit balling here.

Edited by FluffyChix

43 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

IDK. I think you are a fairly unique lady and VET. Maybe in the top 1-3% of people/"types". You DID learn your lessons while losing. You DID incorporate your doc/RD instructions and adapted them to work for you long term. And when you experience regain for any reason, you've set a protocol that is inspiring and amazing to watch. And it gives me hope for my future--that I'm not doomed to regain it all without being able to maintain. Because you quickly and efficiently go back to your roots and get rid of the regain.

I feel like the OP has not done the work. Or maybe the surgery was the wrong surgery for him/her? We are all so unique, one solution won't fit all.

They claim the reason for the regain and for not getting lower to their goal was based on undisciplined behavior. But if you lack discipline before, what will change this time? How will you magically change for good? Any of us can do things for short periods of time. But being "habilitated" sometimes, even more than being "RE-habilitated" is important. Not all of us can do that on our own. Not everyone learns things the first time. Maybe some of us DO need the surgeon revision or the RD new plan/accountability that meetings provide? Maybe we DO need bariatric therapy to discover what is driving us to self-harming behaviors?

It usually isn't the short game that's the problem for any of us...it's playing for the long game. It is about changing lifelong behaviors for long term success. And that's a TALL order for most of us (the other 97%).

Dunno...just spit balling here.

Sorry to the original poster I'm off topic.

Fluff , You know I love you. your edit sounds less aggressive😉

The last thing the OP was asking for or needs is judgment. They already know their reasons for the weight gain. No need for anyone to restate what they should have been doing, where they went wrong and beat them down further. The depression, shame and guilt from a gain is enough.

I agree, Therapy and talking with their surgeon about options including revision is a great place to start. Lifelong change means they can get the help and move forward.

In a perfect world all of us would stay on track. We will continue to see people with weight gain. I want them to feel supported and see them take this on and get the help they need.

Hi!

Here is the link for current challenge. Its all about mindfulness, giving up trigger foods and even a yoga component if you are adventurous!!! We chat off topic too about life in general. Join us for the camaraderie ❤

Dear Getback,

You are the answer to my prayers as I have been trying to find a forum or advice column to answer the same question! I knew from the get go that my weight problem was more in my head than in my stomach. And I really debated about having the surgery because I worried that I might go back to my old habits of grazing & having no control over carbs (especially sweets). Nothing ever stopped me before but I figured the fear of vomiting if I overate and having a greatly restricted stomach size would be the catalysts to finally help me take off the 100 pounds I needed to lose.

The first three months after surgery were great. I lost 40 pounds, watched everything I ate, and generally did everything right. But slowly, I began to add things back into my diet - especially carbs. I had no problems with any foods except bread because I ate too fast & it got stuck. And I learned that, if I got full fast, I just had to wait an hour & I could eat again!

So, of course, I was right. It was never about my stomach, it’s about my head. And the reasons I eat & the fact that I cannot pay attention or be that mindful to ANYTHING long enough to make it a habit. I really believe that I have Attention Deficit Disorder - it wasn’t “invented” when I was a kid! But I have every symptom & sticking to just eating high Protein, small portions meant a lot of planning. I don’t think I’ll ever get that back again.

And yes, I can blame a lot of this on the surgery coinciding with the most stressful times of my life ever - taking care of my elderly parents & having to put them in assisted living & the death of my oldest brother by heroin overdose. A job promotion & much more responsibility along with losing a friend because of the promotion, parents in & out of the hospital & being the only adult child around who could “handle” everything - the past two years have been a nightmare. And I thought having surgery would make me healthier to be able to handle taking care of everyone else. It did for a while but no more.

Okay, TMI & I’m not really answering your question but what I have decided to do is go to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting & try & find someone for counseling as my Physicians Assistant recommended. I don’t have a lot of hope right now because I feel like I’m right back where I started from but I just can’t give up because those first few months were so good & I felt so great being able to fit in smaller clothes for the first time in 31 years. I had such hope. I wonder every day if I’ll ever get it back again.

I hope you can find the strength & solution to get back on the journey of taking care of you! I will keep you posted. And if you find any good advice anywhere, let me know!

Gosh I am so sorry u r going through this . It is a hard journey and we all have to make choices . Maybe it helps to just make a choice to eat right and exercise for that day and not future trip . One day becomes a week, a month , a year . When I did my surgery I made an agreement to myself that I had given in to my impulses for 57 years and I was going to change . I haven’t been 100% perfect but I think it’s what U do 98% of the time . Good luck

Get Back dont be hard on yourself. I have gained 60lbs and I spent a lot of time being embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I am however on the other side of those emotions now and I am ready to fight again. You know your body and what works for you better than anyone. I have been doing Keto since 3/1/19 and I have lost 4 pounds and lots of inches already. That is what works for me. Find what works for you and just take one day at a time. Don't beat yourself up and don't overthink it. Small steps one day at a time is how we lost the weight the first time and we can do it again. I recommend journaling also it helps. I journal my feelings my weight and what I am eating and it helps to go back an read and compare information. You can do this. Keto is good because you still get to eat good flavorful food while losing and the food gives you energy as well. But find what works for you. Sending you hugs and lots of support. Hang in there :)

I am right there with you guys. I have gained back 25 pounds of the 110 that I lost, it is just a series of ups and downs. Some days I do really good and eat really well, other days I am the same food addict I always was. I do not have any advice for you as to how you can be successful you are going to need to figure that out for yourself.