Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

I have a LOT of hair on my stomach. I joke that I've got a hairier stomach than a lot of my male relatives. Like other people have said, DO NOT shave it, that'll just make it worse. Once I save up a bunch of money again, I'm going to look into getting it lasered off, since I'm having such a good result with lasers on my facial hair.

Thanks . I dont want to shave it . But eewws its yicky !! I started laser hair removal BEFORE surgery , bad idea. I should have waited until after surgery .

So I think im going to start up again soon . I started it on my lip and chin.

Im hoping the TT will get rid of most of it then i'll have the rest of it lasered LOL

Mindy

Okay girls, I got a call from my Endo's office yesterday and it seems my DHEA levels are too low. Have any of you had this problem?

I did some research and I found several documents that said people with PCOS usually have an elevated level. I thought that was a little strange. Apparently the DHEA hormone is the "mother of all hormones". I've read that it can affect a lot of things like chronic fatigue, difficulty losing weight (as if the PCOS alone wasn't enough), mood swings (ditto on former statement), Atherosclerosis, low sex drive, arthritis, etc.

She wants me to start taking a DHEA Vitamin daily and she put me on Actos Metformin. Have any of you used these and has it helped you?

Spend some time on-line learning about Metformin. I have been put on it several times with no luck. I spent all the time with diarrehea (bordering on uncontrollable). Some people tolerate it, some don't.

I have a cousin who is on Metformin, she has a hard time with it, but she is still taking it. I was curious about this one because my doctor said it was new. It's actos plus metformin, all in one pill.

Re: Tummy hair

I have the same problem and am also looking forward to the TT because all that gross skin and hair will be gone!!! lol

I did the laser on my neck and chin about 3 years ago but unfortunately didn't know much about PCOS at that time, even though I'd learned I have it about 8 years ago. Like everything else with my health I blew off all the recommendations by my doctor.

The laser worked very well for me - I had 8 sessions. Because of the PCOS I am back to where I started. I just had 2 sessions and am due for my 3rd. I really hope with the weight loss I am not wasting more $$$$$.

For the person that had the laser on their arms, do you shave them? I really don't want to have to start doing that. My arms are a mix of dark and blond hair. I really don't want to end up with really coarse blond hair from the shaving. That's what happened with my face. I was always a plucker - I would spend probably an hour every day ... Ugh! Then had to shave for the laser. Even when the laser worked well for me and I got rid of 85% of the dark hair, I still had to shave because I didn't like how coarse my blond hair had become from shaving.

I was Dx'd with PCOS and IR in 2001, then with Diabetes in 2002. I was Dx'd after my GP put 2 and 2 together and sent me to an endo. I had a million and 2 blood tests, a pelvic exam, and an ultrasound that confirmed cysts.

Since my weight loss, I have seen a marked improvement in my symptoms. My mood swings are much better, my skin is clear, the Hair growth has slowed down, and I now have a perfect 28 day cycle, and am off Metformin.

Awesome!! That's very encouraging to me!! Thanks for sharing it!

Re: Tummy hair

I have the same problem and am also looking forward to the TT because all that gross skin and hair will be gone!!! lol

I did the laser on my neck and chin about 3 years ago but unfortunately didn't know much about PCOS at that time, even though I'd learned I have it about 8 years ago. Like everything else with my health I blew off all the recommendations by my doctor.

The laser worked very well for me - I had 8 sessions. Because of the PCOS I am back to where I started. I just had 2 sessions and am due for my 3rd. I really hope with the weight loss I am not wasting more $$$$$.

For the person that had the laser on their arms, do you shave them? I really don't want to have to start doing that. My arms are a mix of dark and blond hair. I really don't want to end up with really coarse blond hair from the shaving. That's what happened with my face. I was always a plucker - I would spend probably an hour every day ... Ugh! Then had to shave for the laser. Even when the laser worked well for me and I got rid of 85% of the dark hair, I still had to shave because I didn't like how coarse my blond hair had become from shaving.

well im glad to know im not the only one with a hairy stomach . LOL I guess I can live with it until my Tummy Tuck , make sure my plastic surgeon knows i want all of it cut away lol .

As for the laser hair removal. I had mine done on my chin and lip before surgery and had to go through 12 sessions and it did not help . It did make it less but i still have it, Im still having to shave my chin . Im waiting a little longer until i loose more weight then i'll go back . I wish i had waited before I did it .

HTH

Mindy

I just recently found this community and I was so excited and relieved to find others who share my situation.

I was diagnosed with PCOS ( and type 2 diabetes) about 5 years ago but my doctor believes I've had it since I was 18. (She's been my doctor since I was 14 years old and I am 34 now.) At one point, I gained 100lbs in a year. It's been a struggle ever since.

Both my cardiologist and PCP think that the surgery will help with the PCOS. Besides the problems with weight, I have the Hair growth and only recently found a skin tag (ugh!). I had an ovarian cyst that ruptured when I was 18 which put me in the hospital for emergency surgery. Of course, I also have problems with my cycle and conceiving. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years with no result.

I am on Met and Actos as well as a cocktail of other medications for hypertension and other related conditions. I also have sleep apnea and finally got a CPAP machine...only to not use it as often as I should. Yes, bad girl. I know. =

I'm currently waiting for approval from my insurance company, so I can only hope that I will soon be able to join all of you on this incredible journey.

I am inspired by your stories and look forward to sharing my own.

I just recently found this community and I was so excited and relieved to find others who share my situation.

I was diagnosed with PCOS ( and type 2 diabetes) about 5 years ago but my doctor believes I've had it since I was 18. (She's been my doctor since I was 14 years old and I am 34 now.) At one point, I gained 100lbs in a year. It's been a struggle ever since.

Both my cardiologist and PCP think that the surgery will help with the PCOS. Besides the problems with weight, I have the Hair growth and only recently found a skin tag (ugh!). I had an ovarian cyst that ruptured when I was 18 which put me in the hospital for emergency surgery. Of course, I also have problems with my cycle and conceiving. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years with no result.

I am on Met and Actos as well as a cocktail of other medications for hypertension and other related conditions. I also have sleep apnea and finally got a CPAP machine...only to not use it as often as I should. Yes, bad girl. I know. =

I'm currently waiting for approval from my insurance company, so I can only hope that I will soon be able to join all of you on this incredible journey.

Welcome Whimsy, it sounds like you are making good decisions and hopefully once you lose a little you can conceive. I too tried for years and NOTHING...then once I quit trying and wasn't even thinking about it...whammo. She's now three!! Yeah, God Bless.

Hi Whimsy

It took 6 years of trying before I was able to get pregnant. I can tell you from experience that losing weight will help. I lost about 50 lbs prior to getting pregnant and I know that had a lot to do with it. Of course I gained it all back but I have a handsome son to show for it.

How long have you been taking Actos plus Metformin? Have you seen a difference since you began taking it?

Whimsy,

Your life sounds like a total clone to mine and many others with PCOS. I had lapband surgery on Dec. 14th and have lost 20 pounds so far. Let us know when you get your approval.

How long have you been taking Actos plus Metformin? Have you seen a difference since you began taking it?

I believe I've been on Actos and Met for about 6 months. There's been a marked improvement when it comes to my glucose levels. When testing my sugar, I'm usually in the range of 90-115, which is wonderful for me. I'd been testing at 200ish for such a long time that my PCP almost jumped for joy when they did my first A1C after taking the Actos for 3 months.

As far as the PCOS and its symptoms - there's been no real change that I can see. My cycle is still incredibly irregular and my cravings and PMS are insane.

I have to admit that I've been apprehensive about Actos since it is a relative of Avandia. I read recently that it "may be less effective than other drugs for diabetes and cause liver damage, weight gain, anemia and heart failure".

Fortunately, it has worked for me as far as the blood sugars go...but my weight is still a problem.

PS

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it!

I feel so sorry for all of you on metformin. I was on it for several months and my body never got used to it. I was completely miserable, especially since I was doing the fieldwork for my thesis at the time and didn't have quick access to a bathroom. I was having to carry TP with me and constantly kept on the lookout for a decent bush.