Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

You really should look into laser treatment for the excess hair. I've had just two of my five treatments so far (next one is in early March), but it is SO much better than before. I can even skip a day of shaving right now. I'm hoping that I won't need all five treatments. I've gone from having to shave my jawline, neck, and chin every morning to just having a small patch of recurring hair on my neck, and I'm hopeful that that will be gone within one or two more treatments. I'm not going to lie and say that it isn't painful, but it's well worth the pain, IMO.

I am definitely going to have it done. My mom has offered to pay to have it done as a gift when I reach my goal. I'm trying to get there as fast as I can, lol! I have to shave everyday and it gets so old. I'm so glad to hear that it's working well for you. I can't wait to not have to shave everyday!

Hi

I have had a hystorectomy, and in two separate operations i have also had my ovaries removed not because it was recomended but because it was nessesary, i had vary large cysts on the 12cm by 12cm, i also have pcos and i am lap banded and at the monent i am feeling very frustrated as my weight has come to a grinding halt, i seem to have hit a plateau i have metformin in my cupboeard so i think i will weigh my self and start taking it as see how this might help,

So in answer to your question a hystorectomy and ovaries removed I am 33 does not end the pcos ( insulin resistance) ho ever i am on HRT Patches now to give me estrogen

I hope this helps

Ange

Hi!! I was banded on Jan. 30, 2008 and am down 40 pounds. I find out Monday when I have my first fill and I am thrilled!! I suffer from PCOS as well, and I just had a NORMAL period all on my own. I am hoping that this will help my chances of my husband and I having a baby sometime late next year, so keep your fingers crossed!!!!!

Ashlee :huh2:

Hi!! I was banded on Jan. 30, 2008 and am down 40 pounds. I find out Monday when I have my first fill and I am thrilled!! I suffer from PCOS as well, and I just had a NORMAL period all on my own. I am hoping that this will help my chances of my husband and I having a baby sometime late next year, so keep your fingers crossed!!!!!

Ashlee :drool:

That's great AshleeSuzanne!! It's amazing how a little weight loss can help with the symptoms. Hope everything works out well for you, good luck!

This is to Renewedhope about Metformin. Before my surgery I was on and off of it for one year because my body could not handle it. I noticed since my surgery my Avandamet did not effect my body like it did prior to surgery (making me very ill). So I pulled the good ole Metformin out of the cabinet this week to see if maybe it has the same effect and I have not been sick once. The reason I tell you this is because Metformin stopped my weight gain before being banded unlike anything else I just could not deal with the side effects. I cannot explain it, but I have had 0 side effects now. This whole banding thing is amamzing.

Banded, thanks for the advice. I, too, had those horrible side effects prior to being banded, and couldn't hang with it. I started it once since banding, and I didn't get sick. I only took it for a few days, then we got a new foster kid and I just forgot. I haven't picked it back up, but i think I will. Thanks so much!! I'm glad it is working so well for you!!

Amy

i don't know if i believe my doctor's diagnosis of pcos. he did it from symptoms. but here's the thing. sure, i'm hairy, heavy, and have been diagnosed with insulin resisitance, but 2 times in my life i have suffered from amenhorrea (no period), and each time i got pregnant.

explain to me how in the world it is that i get pregnant when i am NOT having a period.

at the beginning of last month my doctor was telling me that my current 7 year old was a miracle, and that i would more than likely need fertility drugs for another baby, and then i needed a hyster....well, now i'm pregnant, not even a full 2 months later, and i'm pregnant..no drugs....and no period.

this is in response to the laser hair treatment.... where did everyone go that the hair removal has actually WORKED??? i have had almost a year done of laser treatments, and i still have a full beard on my neck??? what machine are they using? i seriously have had about 9 treatments, and if i dont shave every damn day i have a five o clock shadow...damn PCOS

this is in response to the laser hair treatment.... where did everyone go that the hair removal has actually WORKED??? i have had almost a year done of laser treatments, and i still have a full beard on my neck??? what machine are they using? i seriously have had about 9 treatments, and if i dont shave every damn day i have a five o clock shadow...damn PCOS
I use Sona MedSpa. I've had 3 of the 5 treatments that I've paid for, and it's worked like a dream so far. I'm even hoping that I won't have to use all 5 treatments.

I too go to a MedSpa at our local mall and they use the Apogee machine on me...it is a little more aggressive I believe and I am done with my 5 treatments, but I go once-twice a year for touch ups...I am due for my annual appointment and I have enough dark hairs again showing that i'm ready!! It is NOTHING like it used to be though...YUCK I don't miss my beard. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I was soooo miserable with it because I was still single and when I was dating, I would NOT look my dates too close in the face or let them touch my face when they kissed me...after I had treatment, I had my first MOST amazing kiss with my man of the month holding my face (ahhh) and I felt like a woman again...I LOVE LASERS!!

i am just so depressed about the treatment not working for me... i am so happy you guys have a hold on the problem, but mine just seems to be getting worse. its kind of hard to feel feminine when you have to shave your neck every day like a man, and makes a crunchy noise when your neck brushes up against your clothes. its miserable. i have asked the lady thats doing the treatments why it seems to be getting worse and she said my hair is going though cycles??? and im wanting to say, well how many flippin cycles of hair do i have??? all that money, and pain, and its worse than ever. sorry to be such a whiner.

my younger sister is on heavier side, has bAD mood swings, is losing her hair in batches, has easy time losing weight, but gains it back easier, um ...she also has hair, almost like a man on her chin and neck, I know she hates this...she is only 21...is it possible she has signs of PCOS, i have tried reading about it on the internet, but don't really understan. She is very sensitive about these issues, so i'd like to print off some stuff if she indeed has it. What are the treatment things? Does it cause the Hair growth to stop or go away? (I know this would make her VERY happy) Does anyone know of an informative, layman's terms website? thanks:thumbup:

Bandster - the period comes after ovulation, if you had not gotten pregnant, you would have had a period. Just because your periods don't come regularly, does not mean that you won't ovulate. My MIL had periods at most every six months, she thought she would not be able to have kids. Now she has five. My husband was a surprise to her, she did not find out about him until she was four months pregnant.

Lifechange - you look like a natural blonde like me. When I contacted a laser place they told me it would not work very well on me because I have fair skin and blonde hair. My beard hair even comes in darker than the hair on my head, just not dark enough.

Lifechange - you look like a natural blonde like me. When I contacted a laser place they told me it would not work very well on me because I have fair skin and blonde hair. My beard hair even comes in darker than the hair on my head, just not dark enough.

That's correct. I was also told when first looking into laser hair removal that it works the best on fair-skinned individuals who have extremely dark hair because it targets the melanin in the hair shaft/follicle. That's not a problem with me, because I have almost black hair and extremely fair skin, which is probably why the laser has worked so well for me. The technician at the Sona MedSpa I go to said that I was an ideal candidate for that type of laser hair removal.

One of the plastic surgeons that I had a consultation with recently offered a laser hair removal treatment that supposedly works on light or colorless hair. I'll try to see if I can find/remember the type of laser.