Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

So I turn 24 in about 10 days and I am getting cut off from my parents medical insurance. I have been checking into getting new coverage and no one will cover me because of the PCOS. I always figured I would have trouble because of the band, but never thought PCOS would be a problem. I am really starting to worry because I can't afford my prescription meds or doctors visits without insurance. Anyone else had this problem?

lifechange82: when i went for my first treatment,late january,the tech girl told me for the best effect,the pulse readings on the laser have to be between 10 and 15. anything less than a 10, you really won't see results. i go for my second treatment this saturday, i go to american laser centers here in l.a. i already see the differnce; i have light skin with sick dark hair:cursing: and i HATE the daily shaving with the HEAVY amounts of consealer & foundation; can you ladies feel me?!?

but you hang in there. i've had this problem for 11yrs and finally decided to do something about it. maybe you should go to another facility or have a different tech treat your areas...? :lol:

my younger sister is on heavier side, has bAD mood swings, is losing her hair in batches, has easy time losing weight, but gains it back easier, um ...she also has hair, almost like a man on her chin and neck, I know she hates this...she is only 21...is it possible she has signs of PCOS, i have tried reading about it on the internet, but don't really understan. She is very sensitive about these issues, so i'd like to print off some stuff if she indeed has it. What are the treatment things? Does it cause the Hair growth to stop or go away? (I know this would make her VERY happy) Does anyone know of an informative, layman's terms website? thanks:thumbup:

Vessa,

For more info about PCOS, I've use the website: PCOSupport™

The discussion boards answer many questions, and they are usually pretty easy to understand. Good luck to you and your sister. I understand her sensitivity. I remember when I was first experiencing symptoms of PCOS, and I didn't want to admit to them, or worse, realize that they were caused by a disease I might have. But it does get easier. And there are ways to treat it. I haven't lost enough weight yet to see the symptoms reversed like they are for some people, but here's to hoping!

I was hoping I could join, too. I was DX'd with PCOS in 1995 and IR in 1997. AFter 2 years of infertility treatments and no results, we gave up. My primary doc doesn't think it's necessary to treat PCOS :biggrin:

Find yourself a good endocrinologist and try again to be treated! I had a battle getting proper treatment, even from doctors who meant well. My endo really helped. Don't take a primary care physician's word as the final word. You deserve better care!

Jfran - YES, I have been denied coverage because of PCOS, my husband was also denied coverage due to my PCOS, believe it or not. We paid through the nose for student health insurance, and we searched for jobs that had medical coverage. Basically I have become accustomed to the fact that when we job hunt, we HAVE to get jobs with medical coverage. We also make sure we never let our insurance lapse for more than 63 days so that we don't fall under the preexisting conditions clauses.

JFran , check into your states high risk health pool . It is expensive but they will cover you basically regardless of any situation . I paid nearly $400 a month but that was with PCOS ( although i never had an issue w/ the PCOS ) they covered me due to my Migraines, Band ect.

The covereage is actually good the RX Coverage is usually REALLY Good.

Here is a list of the states that have one , most of them do

Health insurance risk pools -- state-sponsored programs for the medically uninsurable

Mindy

Hi everyone! I am at the very beginning of the lapband journey. I'm so happy to have found this site, and especially others with pcos. I was diagnosed with Stein-Leventhal syndrome in 1981. While my doctor could tell me basic information about the syndrome, he could provide little else, since little else was known about how to treat the symptoms. The only medication available was Spironolactone, which I still take. I was diagnosed four years after our son was born. We have a daughter who is five years older, and inbetween her birth and his, I had three miscarriages. I wasn't diagnosed until I began gaining weight and was unable to lose the weight. I had never been overweight, so this was more than a little shocking. Over the next ten years, my condition worsened, and I had an emergency hysterectomy-ovaries, and hot appendix, too. It was done because I was bleeding to death. Afterward it was determined that my uterus was filled with precancerous polyps, all of which were bleeding profusedly. And here's where the fun begins.....

The surgery was performed by my gyn, who told me that the good news was that since I no longer had ovaries, then I no longer had pcos. And I believed her. No more spironolactone, no more periods, what luck! About nine months later, I almost stroked out. All my bloodwork was just like it had been before the surgery. My blood pressure was out of sight, and my new doctor was so concerned that he referred me to an endo. at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. She gave me a great education, and got my meds restored, and did everything she knew how to do. The only thing that couldn't be controlled was my weight. I felt like there had to be an evil twin inside me that ate copious amounts of junk when I was asleep, since I subsisted on 1000 calories a day. And I still gained weight. So I added more exercise. And my muscles gained weight. I also made the decision to quit smoking, and I did, cold turkey. And then even more weight happened. Now I'm more than 100 pounds overweight, have type 2 diabetes, and need to get this whole situation under control. I'm so very tired of all these darned pills!!! I'm also really tired of people assuming all the wrong things about me. And yet, I'm one of the lucky pcosers...I never had a problem with acne, the Hair growth is under control (vaniqua is really effective) and the spironolactone keeps the Hair loss under control. But this darned stomach has to go! And the fanny, and the fat fingers that no longer fit my really pretty rings. But the good news is that I'll never get uterine, fallopian, or cervical cancer. So that's my story. My first appointment is in three weeks. I can't wait! Thanks for listening...it's good to vent to someone who actually knows what you're going through.

Cammilla

Hey just thought I'd drop a note to let you all know that my periods are back (not that I have EVER had regular ones in my life unless I was on BC pills and even then not always) but the past 5 months they are like clockwork! Still not losing much weight since the first 40# but definitely making some hormonal changes...my OB/GYN is thrilled (glad someone is, I can tell you all I did not miss them)

Hi!! I was banded on Jan. 30, 2008 and am down 40 pounds. I find out Monday when I have my first fill and I am thrilled!! I suffer from PCOS as well, and I just had a NORMAL period all on my own. I am hoping that this will help my chances of my husband and I having a baby sometime late next year, so keep your fingers crossed!!!!!

Ashlee :blink:

They're crossed!! Good luck i'm rooting for you!!

Mischievous -- mine came back too, with extra just for all of those I missed! I have to say I am not happy about it either :)

Mischievous -- mine came back too, with extra just for all of those I missed! I have to say I am not happy about it either :)

As I told my friends.....this 'girl stuff' is highly overrated....I can do without! argh

i dunno, call me crazy :), but i can't wait to have a normal one all on my own.

Well....I have had normal ones for 4 months now and suddenly I am 5 days late!! I even did a pregnancy test today, which was negative. I have decreased my intake a lot in the past month. Maybe that has messed me up a little. Who knows. These hormones have a mind of their own..

Six years ago... I finally switched doctors because the pain and bleeding were an every day occurrance and my OB/GYN said to stop complaining that every woman has a period. March 2002 I went to a new doctor and he told me I had PCOS and ademyosis (sp?). My uterus was like it was 5 months pregant. Thank goodness nothing had turned to cancer. :tt2: Had my total hyster. in July 2002. I could not believe how much better I felt the next day. My new doctor told me it was a miracle my husband and I were able to have our daughter. She is 16 years old now and I treasure every day with her and my husband.

I thought after my hyster that the weight would just come off...NOT. I was banded on June 27, 2008 and in reading the posts I'm hoping to have the weight off within the next two years. Good luck to everyone