Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

I have had a contraceptive implant for about 7 years and as far as I can tell had had PCOS for about the same time, a coincidence?? My Dr says there is no connection but Im not convinced. I have not had a period since i had the implant and wonder if this may be part of the reason. Within a year of the implant I went from 80kg to 130kg.

I am also on metformin and Im wondering if anyone experiences low sugar, if I have a salad at work for lunch I get seriously woozy by afternoon. I am worried about the Optifast phase preband. Any suggestions would be great.

I have had a contraceptive implant for about 7 years and as far as I can tell had had PCOS for about the same time, a coincidence?? My Dr says there is no connection but Im not convinced. I have not had a period since i had the implant and wonder if this may be part of the reason. Within a year of the implant I went from 80kg to 130kg.

I am also on metformin and Im wondering if anyone experiences low sugar, if I have a salad at work for lunch I get seriously woozy by afternoon. I am worried about the Optifast phase preband. Any suggestions would be great.

I am on Actos plus Metformin and I have been noticing that I get light-headed sometimes. I had a fill yesterday, so I am on liquids for a couple of days and I have noticed I feel a bit sluggish since I'm not eating. How long do you have to do the optifast? Maybe you should talk to your sugeon about it. There are other diets, that include eating meals, that can shrink your liver. My surgeon required the Sugar Busters Diet for 2 weeks and it worked wonderfully.

i had the implant and now i have pcos and it made me gain ablout 40lbs ....i hope this band works for me i hope to be rid of these stupid symptoms because people dont see this as a disease or illness because they cant see how it makes us feel....

i stopped taking my metformin now im craving sweets and stuff i guess i should go back onit ...ok back to the potty for me i hate that side effect

I must be the only one that does not have that nasty side effect of diarrhea from taking metformin. Do you guys think it may be because my metformin is mixed with Actos? Idk, I'm just glad it hasn't affected me in that way.

Smsmithart- you brought up a good point about craving sweets. I've been off my actos metformin since my fill last Tuesday because I wasn't able to eat solid food and I was getting light-headed and sluggish. Ever since I stopped taking it, I've only wanted sweets and junk food. I wouldn't have thought there was a connection until I heard you point that out. I'm definitely going to start back taking it today.

I must be the only one that does not have that nasty side effect of diarrhea from taking metformin. Do you guys think it may be because my metformin is mixed with Actos? Idk, I'm just glad it hasn't affected me in that way.

I take Met and Actos as well and I am still dealing with that horrible side effect. Either your system is just hella strong or you are one lucky girl! :) Color me jealous!

I take Met and Actos as well and I am still dealing with that horrible side effect. Either your system is just hella strong or you are one lucky girl! :) Color me jealous!

It could be because I am only taking 500mg a day. My Endo started me out low and wants to continue doing bloodwork and adjust as necessary. How many mg are you taking?

my doctor put me on metformin, and my band doctor took me off.

he said it makes you hungry.

ok, so i was hungry, but i wasn't wanting sweets. now i do.

i did not have any stomach problems taking it.

It could be because I am only taking 500mg a day. My Endo started me out low and wants to continue doing bloodwork and adjust as necessary. How many mg are you taking?

I'm on 500mg of Met a day, too. :) Like I said, you're just a lucky gal! I'm just hoping that after the surgery and some healing and losing I can just be rid of the met once and for all. The side effects are one of the main reasons why I no longer work. :)

I was on 1500 mg metformin for 10 years. Intially I had the Soup butt effect, but it wore off as I got used to the medication. I haven't taken the metform since my surgery bc the pills are so huge. This reminds me that I need to make an appt with me RE to discuss this!

Hey Guys,

WOW! I can't believe I found a thread so specific to my needs. I love this. I also, have the Sasquach syndrome. My Dr. tried me on the Metformin but after 5 mos. and a visit to the proctologist I said goodbye to that pill. My body never could adjust to it. I was banded back in November but I have noticed my PCOS symptoms getting worse. Has anyone else had this problem? My depression is terrible too. I think I'm going to have to go to the Dr. and have my antidepressant changed because I just can't seem to pull out of it.:blushing:

It's so great to meet you guys!

Hey Guys,

WOW! I can't believe I found a thread so specific to my needs. I love this. I also, have the Sasquach syndrome. My Dr. tried me on the Metformin but after 5 mos. and a visit to the proctologist I said goodbye to that pill. My body never could adjust to it. I was banded back in November but I have noticed my PCOS symptoms getting worse. Has anyone else had this problem? My depression is terrible too. I think I'm going to have to go to the Dr. and have my antidepressant changed because I just can't seem to pull out of it.:blushing:

It's so great to meet you guys!

Nice to meet you Canaryqueen! Sorry you are having a rough time right now. I've actually notice my symptoms are finally starting to get a little better. I think a big reason is because I went to an Endo and she started me on Actos Metformin and also she found out that I had another hormone problem that has nothing to do with PCOS, so I'm on medication for that too! What kind of doctor are you using? I totally recommend going to an Endo, if you haven't already. My Endo ran a slew of tests on me and things are finally getting a little better.

My excess hair has not improved, but I'm starting to get some energy back and my depression has gotten soooo much better. I didn't tell the doctors that I was depressed (probably not a good idea) and I have never taken any medication for depression. But I'm finally feeling better and I couldn't be happier right now. I hope things get better for you soon and good luck!

My excess hair has not improved, but I'm starting to get some energy back and my depression has gotten soooo much better. I didn't tell the doctors that I was depressed (probably not a good idea) and I have never taken any medication for depression. But I'm finally feeling better and I couldn't be happier right now. I hope things get better for you soon and good luck!

You really should look into laser treatment for the excess hair. I've had just two of my five treatments so far (next one is in early March), but it is SO much better than before. I can even skip a day of shaving right now. I'm hoping that I won't need all five treatments. I've gone from having to shave my jawline, neck, and chin every morning to just having a small patch of recurring hair on my neck, and I'm hopeful that that will be gone within one or two more treatments. I'm not going to lie and say that it isn't painful, but it's well worth the pain, IMO.