Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full liquid diet. Had tomato soup and feel drunk. Anyone experience this?

IS Tomato Soup Part of liquid? I know some cream Soups are, but i guess that would be one. I am 9 days post op and today i took out cream of mushroom soup.. but have yet to make it. I have been doing so well with the tastes and ability for the liquids that i am nervous to add back food. I am actually in the middle of drinking my dinner. Once i get all my Protein in and Water in for the day which will be accomplished when i am done with dinner.. I may attempt it. I do not have the confidence yet to try it. I have seen so many stories of peoples stomachs rebuking stuff, i dont want to try it lol.

Was it high in carbs or sugar?

4 minutes ago, Martha88 said:

58g of Carbs and 43g of sugar

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

That's it. You have probably had hardly any carbs on the liquid diet, mostly just Protein, so this high carb/sugar Soup spiked your blood sugar and then you crashed. I'm a newbie but I know that in the past if I was doing super low carb and suddenly had a lot of sugar it had a big impact, more of an impact than that meal would have if you were not low carbing.

I think you’re probably dehydrated. Worry more about liquids right now! I almost passed out during my first week!

IS Tomato Soup Part of Liquid? I know some cream Soups are, but i guess that would be one. I am 9 days post op and today i took out cream of mushroom soup.. but have yet to make it. I have been doing so well with the tastes and ability for the liquids that i am nervous to add back food. I am actually in the middle of drinking my dinner. Once i get all my Protein in and Water in for the day which will be accomplished when i am done with dinner.. I may attempt it. I do not have the confidence yet to try it. I have seen so many stories of peoples stomachs rebuking stuff, i dont want to try it lol.
That was exactly what happened! Almost like a kid that had too much candy, fell asleep soon after.

18 minutes ago, Martha88 said:

That was exactly what happened! Almost like a kid that had too much candy, fell asleep soon after.

Yep. That Soup had more sugar than a can of Coke. Imagine drinking a can of Coke after having almost no carbs for a week (or longer if you were on a liver shrink diet). Most Soups not high in sugar, just stay away from that one.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:18 AM ,Swanton_Bomb said:

That's it. You have probably had hardly any carbs on the liquid diet, mostly just Protein, so this high carb/sugar Soup spiked your blood sugar and then you crashed. I'm a newbie but I know that in the past if I was doing super low carb and suddenly had a lot of sugar it had a big impact, more of an impact than that meal would have if you were not low carbing.

My surgeons office makes us look at the labels, especially Soups. Not over 20 carb.soyps, that's why you are better off with light formulations like Progresso makes. That said I like Amy organic soups, even strained they are good, bought 2 , drained them and Tomkitten got the solids. Someday I will eat solids again, this I vow!

I am having a similar issue. I am 2 weeks post op and just started pureed foods. Today I had about 2 oz of refried Beans for lunch and could barely keep my eyes open afterwards. It makes me want to go back to the liquids during the day and only eat meals at night.

Edited by Newyearnewme2019

9 minutes ago, Newyearnewme2019 said:

I am having a similar issue. I am 2 weeks post op and just started pureed foods. Today I had about 2 oz of refried Beans for lunch and could barely keep my eyes open afterwards. It makes me want to go back to the liquids during the day and only eat meals at night.

You can make your own "refried" Beans that have less sugar fat and don't lead to the sluggish feeling (at least they didn't for me).

from bariatriceating(dot)com: blend a can of pinto (I used black) beans with 1/2 c. mild salsa and blend until smooth. Might need to add 1/4 c-1/2c Water or broth to get it super smooth/pourable. I also melt a bit of cheese.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:12 PM, Martha88 said:

58g of Carbs and 43g of sugar

With respect to the Soups and other foods, I was told to look for stuff with 5g or less of sugar per serving (6g was OK for the oikos yogurt I was eating)

You can make your own Tomato Soup fairly easily. I base mine off the following recipe, but use any old tomatoes I want and use dried basil to taste.

https://www.bariatriceating.com/2011/11/tomato-basil-soup/

I've had that feeling the 2 times I tried bread (I'm 10 weeks post-op). I won't be doing bread again for quite some time. My body can't handle the sugar high/crash.