Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much food/meal?

So, I have a question about food amounts in the mushy stage. How much is your doctor allowing you all to eat in one sitting and per day? I thought I was allowed much more, but apparently only 1 to 2 TEASPOONS per meal, and an 8 oz Protein Shake in between. Now I'm worried I may have damaged something, because I thought I was allowed a lot more than that - like 1/4 cup per meal. I swear to God I don't know where my head was, I read the material, but looked at the wrong week or something. Then I looked at my materials again and, boom, I thought oh God, what have I done. Please let me know what you guys have been eating in the mushy stage!

Linda :)

I've always found the portion sizes dumbfound me. I ate about half a cup at a time in the mushies stage, which is what I was told, and just to be very careful not to get too full. Two teaspoons? Sheesh. Last I heard, this was a tool for improving our lifestyles, not a torture device!

I think everyone differs in how swollen they are and you're definitely better off eating little and often - but basically try to avoid feeling really FULL. Two tablespoons can be much more than you think it is post surgery.

But yeah, I"m relieved its not two teaspoons! Or I'd be wondering whether there really is a band inside me or if I burst it open long ago!

hmmm..my mushies stage recommends 1/2 cup Soup, cream of wheat, etc. AND 1/2 cup of something else such as blended canned peaches. Sounds like a lot more than you were told....Hope it's ok.

With liquids is it ok to have like 1cup at a time (sipping)? I've been using this idea of 1 cup is the amount you can have in one sitting since I got the band.....

I guess why I thought I could have so much was I was allowed 4 ounces of liquid on the liquid phase, and I thought it just went right into the mushy phase as well. I thought I'd be getting that 'full' feeling, which I never did, so I thought it was okay to have like 1/2 cup of mushy stuff. My s-i-l who also had surgery was allowed 3/4 cup/meal, some people here say 1/2. I know every doc is different, but this seems quite bizarre to eat this little. One of my meals is ONE cracker with cheese! I'm trying to get the nutritionist to phone me back. It all made sense pre-op!

In one month I can have 2-3 tablespoons, then in another few weeks I can have 3-4 tablespoons, graduating to 1/2 cup max/meal.

I'm just curious what everyone else's diet is like.

I am allowed 2 ounces (which is 1/4 cup) every hour. I'm mainly taking in Soup, yogurt, Protein Drinks and applesauce for those 2oz. Now, in between those, I can drink as much Water or diet decaff iced tea as I want, as long as I slowly sip.

I started the mushie stage yesterday. I'm allowed 1/2 cup of food per meal. Then in between I am allowed 1/2 cup of something like yoghurt or blended fruit. So far so good.

<p>My diet is different. We are allowed 4 2oz servings of lean protien, 1 fruit, 1 vegeteble, 1 starch, 1 fat and 1 Dairy serving. Also, 56 oz of non-caloric, non carbonated, non caffeinated liquid per day. Our Protein goal is 50-60 grams a day. This is it during mushies.</p>

Okay, so basically everyone is eating more than me here? I've got to get ahold of my nutritionist. This is ridiculous.

Okay, so basically everyone is eating more than me here? I've got to get ahold of my nutritionist. This is ridiculous.

My diet includes mushie stage 2-3oz meals 3 times per day, no snacking of anykind in between meals, just 80z Protein shake and Water. That is it folks, so I am definately eating less than most here it seems as well.

But I do know from all of my classes that this is vitally important for the success of the band. You do not want to eat til you stretch your pouch and you want to get used to this small amount of foos satisfying as well. When that starts to fail is when you need a fill not more food.

I am yet to be hungry. I am on full liquids until Monday when I advance to the mushies stage. I am of course looking forward to that pureed food indeed the liquid gets real old real fast.

Hope this helps those who have ?.

my doctor did not put a limit on pureed items. his suggestion also, was to eat until you feel satiety or begin to burp and then stop. i was told the 1/4 cup thing would begin after a fill, and would be used to judge whether or not you need another fill.

basically, my doc's rule is keep it under 800 calories per day and NEVER eat until it hurts.

Hi all,

My question is not only quantity but timing. I was banded Monday and this coming Monday I can start mushies. How long does it take something to leave the pouch and travel to the stomach? Someone said above they can eat 2 oz per hour. Is that alot? A little? I mean from a digestion perspective.

My first follow-up is Monday so I guess I could wait and ask the doc. Just wanted some feedback from the vets!

I was told I could have 1/2 cup of mushies 3 times a day, Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Then in between if hungry to have 1/2 cup of yoghurt, mushy fruit etc. I had a mashed boiled egg and avocado for lunch today. About an hour later had a little mashed up fruit from a can with a little light custard... must admit it was too soon after... felt tight around the stomach. I only had it because I felt like it rather than hungry. Felt fine about 1/2 hr after that but shouldn't make a habit of it. :funscale: