Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

Sorry in advance for the long post. But had a revelation I want to share and hope you can take encouragement from it.

One of the many things I love about IF, is that it's helping me forge a new trusting relationship with my "dragon," the inner 2 year old who still tries to surface and throw hedonic ("rewards" originating from the lizard brain = pre-brain = hypothalmus = brain stem) tempertantrums in order to get my "fix," whatever that fix happens to be. (Name your poison.) For us MO people (even skinny MOs), chances are we've dueled with our lizard aka dragon more times than we can know or even remember. It's part of what got us a lifetime ticket to the Obesity Ball, and means that forever until eternity, we have a different set of "road rules" for eating than naturally skinny people or people who've never experienced an excess weight or metabolic problem.

For the longest time, I had no trust in my hedonic bad self. In fact I often refered to myself as a mid-hedonist. But since words have meaning and can cue intent, maybe I need to rethink that title. Maybe I should claim "Recovering Mid Hedonist"? LOL! RMH! Yeah, that has a nice ring.

Anyway, IF has taught me, and @sillykitty has talked about this many times in her journey, most excellently and succinctly, but it's taught me to trust myself on Feast meals. Last night I had a feast "meal" or rather, experience. And I lived it up. But it was SO different than in days past. Very limited off-plan foods in very small servings (some no more than a taste), and portion controlled regular size healthy foods. And only 2 very small glasses of dark dry red wine.

This morning, I woke up and was 3 lbs up on the scale after a very nutrient dense 3 days of fasting mimicking diet. At first that might have sent me into a tailspin of depression and defeat which would have led to me feeding my dragon wildly inappropriate hedonistic "rewards" punishments. But instead, I actively made my choices for that one "meal". I KNEW and accepted the consequences of my choices/action and even knew ahead of time how badly the scale would reflect the near-Bacchanalia. And when I saw the 3lbs, I knew it was Fluid. I knew I just needed to write the number down and get started with my day. And btw, I KNOW I need a good solid visit to the throne. ;) hehe but TMI.

So now, I'm back to my fasting day and am doing a KetoBiotic fast for the next few days filled with deeply nutritious veggies, blueberries, pecans, spirulina, and other rich polyphenols and fibers and filled with brain food: salmon, sardines, liver, eggs and I know I will be back to my posted weight of 133lbs by Monday. No sweat. No tears. No recriminations. No beatings. No lie.

It's just another day in paradise working my plan on my way to Goal #3.

I could not have claimed that when I started this journey or even in my early honeymoon with WLS. Life is an evolution. :) Evolve my friends.

On 04/26/2019 at 12:33, FluffyChix said:

Sorry in advance for the long post. But had a revelation I want to share and hope you can take encouragement from it.

One of the many things I love about IF, is that it's helping me forge a new trusting relationship with my "dragon," the inner 2 year old who still tries to surface and throw hedonic ("rewards" originating from the lizard brain = pre-brain = hypothalmus = brain stem) tempertantrums in order to get my "fix," whatever that fix happens to be. (Name your poison.) For us MO people (even skinny MOs), chances are we've dueled with our lizard aka dragon more times than we can know or even remember. It's part of what got us a lifetime ticket to the Obesity Ball, and means that forever until eternity, we have a different set of "road rules" for eating than naturally skinny people or people who've never experienced an excess weight or metabolic problem.

For the longest time, I had no trust in my hedonic bad self. In fact I often refered to myself as a mid-hedonist. But since words have meaning and can cue intent, maybe I need to rethink that title. Maybe I should claim "Recovering Mid Hedonist"? LOL! RMH! Yeah, that has a nice ring.

Anyway, IF has taught me, and @sillykitty has talked about this many times in her journey, most excellently and succinctly, but it's taught me to trust myself on Feast meals. Last night I had a feast "meal" or rather, experience. And I lived it up. But it was SO different than in days past. Very limited off-plan foods in very small servings (some no more than a taste), and portion controlled regular size healthy foods. And only 2 very small glasses of dark dry red wine.

This morning, I woke up and was 3 lbs up on the scale after a very nutrient dense 3 days of fasting mimicking diet. At first that might have sent me into a tailspin of depression and defeat which would have led to me feeding my dragon wildly inappropriate hedonistic "rewards" punishments. But instead, I actively made my choices for that one "meal". I KNEW and accepted the consequences of my choices/action and even knew ahead of time how badly the scale would reflect the near-Bacchanalia. And when I saw the 3lbs, I knew it was Fluid. I knew I just needed to write the number down and get started with my day. And btw, I KNOW I need a good solid visit to the throne. ;) hehe but TMI.

So now, I'm back to my fasting day and am doing a KetoBiotic fast for the next few days filled with deeply nutritious veggies, blueberries, pecans, spirulina, and other rich polyphenols and fibers and filled with brain food: salmon, sardines, liver, eggs and I know I will be back to my posted weight of 133lbs by Monday. No sweat. No tears. No recriminations. No beatings. No lie.

It's just another day in paradise working my plan on my way to Goal #3.

I could not have claimed that when I started this journey or even in my early honeymoon with WLS. Life is an evolution. :) Evolve my friends.

Thanks SO MUCH for posting your thoughts like this.
There is so much here to unpack and I can totally relate.
Well... not to the maintenance part as I’m only 11 weeks post surgery and still need 50-ish pounds til my first goal weight... but I can relate to all the head stuff.
For me, this has been “one of those” weeks and I told hubs this morning that I wanted and NEEDED to go out tonight.
Yeah, I still relate busting stress and “celebrating” with food, but it’s changed.
I’m already planning a wild meal of miso Soup and 4-5 pieces sashimi. Oh yeah, and a sip from hubs glass of whatever sake he decides to order.

Lol, it’s probably not even going to be 400 calories, but to me this seems over-the-top indulgent and I already know not to weigh myself for at least 2 days after all that sodium.
I’m choosing to do this rather than stay at home yet one more night repurposing leftovers.
I’ll do that all week (and honestly most weekends) but being able to go out like a normal person every so often is so very therapeutic.

I Just have to keep in mind that I need to keep an eye on my own MH and make sure she takes back seat to the RMH.

Love that term. It’s soooooo fitting

Glad the scale doesn't own you @FluffyChix

Because seriously I could gain 3lbs by wearing a padded bra and a fancy dress you know 😉

Its the long game we all care about

💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃

Just now, GreenTealael said:

Glad the scale doesn't own you @FluffyChix

Because seriously I could gain 3lbs by wearing a padded bra and a fancy dress you know 😉

Its the long game we all care about

💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃

Exactly. The long game. :)

(However conversely, I'm infinitely aware that at any moment the lunatic could take control of the asylum and I don't want to get caught up in rationalizing repetitive and frequent poor decisions and suffer regain.) You know? It's an endless tug-of-war and dance.

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Exactly. The long game. :)

(However conversely, I'm infinitely aware that at any moment the lunatic could take control of the asylum and I don't want to get caught up in rationalizing repetitive and frequent poor decisions and suffer regain.) You know? It's an endless tug-of-war and dance.

🙌Don't you know...We Deinstitutionalized...No more asylums🙌

Edited by GreenTealael

Just now, GreenTealael said:

🙌 Don't you know... We Deinstitutionalized... No more asylums 🙌

:D

cartwheel.jpg.195c2ad688a6b7831fbe54e776878aac.jpg

singitmysistah.jpg.4587d10c450e59e39cafae3aaa93d7f7.jpg

gangsta-wrap.JPG.2d057b561dffe57ca3fa759be1395664.JPGinfluenceoverregain.thumb.jpg.5ef0f940e447f6386efada7f25bd667c.jpgweekend-motivation.JPG.828e29744a8e044e94061bf75e01fb99.JPGlooking-for-happiness.JPG.4aaa027f12977a2f9e24cec6ea208525.JPGpounds-coming-back.jpeg.c3a2d3d478e2974efe3a1aa3dfcb7f47.jpegsummer-body-v-now.jpg.045bc20965505b634908ec10e139ea9e.jpg

@FluffyChix That is fantastic! I'm so happy for you to have had the revelation that you can still indulge your hedonistic side from time to time. It doesn't mean all is lost and you're in a diet death spiral :)

I think of it as taking the scenic route vs. the highway. You get to the same place, you may not take the absolute fastest route, but it sure is more enjoyable.

On this forum I see people beat themselves up over and over again for being weak for having cravings, and giving into them. They seem to see it as a personal failing because they think pizza is delicious. Here's the thing, pizza is delicious! Our brains are wired to crave carbs and fat, and especially carbs and fat together. It triggers the pleasure centers of our brain. So liking pizza doesn't make someone weak, it makes them human!

I see it as having two choices, acknowledge that the pursuit of perfection is futile, or set an unobtainable goal and doom yourself to "fail". I define success not as never having pizza again, but as having once slice of thin crust and a big healthy salad with it. Now that I can totally manage, I've set myself up for success in that scenario.

What WLS combine with IF has given me is a sense of control. I have zero doubt that I can maintain a healthy weight. I feel so incredibly fortunate that within a year I was able to go from MO to a normal BMI. Losing 100+ lbs on my own felt impossible, or at least several years of dieting misery. That made me not even want to try. WLS helped me with what I consider the hard part, dropping 100+ lbs. WLS gave me months of being hunger free. WLS gave me a tiny stomach capacity, so any indulgences were limited. Once my hunger came back, IF gave me a tool to keep it at bay for the most part.

Now that I'm 14 months out, my stomach capacity has expanded, and my hunger is back in full force. But I'm not worried. From here on out I just need to make small tweaks to maintain. I know I need to order the side salad instead of fries, I need to have my burger lettuce wrapped. I need to snack on Jerky vs. chips. And you know what, if I really want the fries, I can have them, I just know I can't have them everyday!

Hopping off my soapbox now! :)

Edited by sillykitty

@sillykitty Oh wow! What a great post!!!! It's a love fest!!! You inspired me to move out a "tiny" bit from my laser focus. *snort* Congrats on maintaining 125lbs lady! You are at my "Top Secret Barbie Dream Girl Goal" (Goal #4)!!! How does it feel there? Have you met Malibu Barbie there? How does the pink convertible drive? :D

You took a scenic and I took the "shortest route down the interstate" with a few "scenic overlook" stops, and you still beat me to the destination! And I congratulate you on your hard work. Even though you had a lot of restriction, you worked your keester off! And I know you still had angst during the process and had to deal with second guessing yourself, your tool and how you would/should eat, etc. Congratulations on losing 118.4lbs girlie! You lost an entire adult woman and are dang near half the woman you once were!!! That's amazing! And do you realize how few people on this earth can claim that victory?

I'm sorry your hunger is back in full force, but I'm actually a little relieved for you that your tummy has relaxed a little, because that means you can get more nutrition in that will allow you to stay healthy as you age! And love that you make good choices!!! Nothin' wrong with a slice of pizza and a big ol' salad if it doesn't screw up your metabolism!!!

I think most people believe the honeymoon period is the "time when you get maximum weight loss from your tool alone." But I believe it's actually the period of time where the tool allows us the time to reshape our behaviors and interaction with food and learn new/better ways of eating and enjoying healthier food. Cuz don't you think the "way" you eat and the food choices are better for you a greater percentage of the time?

I agree that IF is what I hope will be "MY" personal tool for maintenance. I am pretty sure I will always be doing some form of it, interspersed with healthy maintenance level "regular" eating which I haven't even stopped to figure out yet. I'm about 10lbs away from meeting Malibu Barbie and Ken. :) Never in a million years thought I would say that. :)

*Raising my ginormous glass of psylli tea to salute you!*

@FluffyChix

Funny, I was actually in Malibu yesterday. It's only about 50 miles from where I live, but I hadn't been in at least 20 years. No sign of Malibu Barbie, but I did have my own Ken with me . 😍

I'm actually maintaining at between my posted low weight of 125.4 and 130. As of yesterday I was at 128. For right now I'm comfortable as long as I stay below 130. I've posted before, and I still feel this way, I liked my body at a slightly higher weight. Unfortunately I know if I gained back up to say 140, the weight wouldn't end up where I wanted it, you know? So I'm just biding my time until the end of the year and I can spare the time for plastics. Losing my boobs is my version of "magic comes with a price" 🤣

"do you realize how few people on this earth can claim that victory?"

YES! That is one of the reasons I am so grateful for this forum, and participants like you @FluffyChix! I am deeply appreciative of the success I have had, and the relative (compared to many) ease I had getting there. Without the forum I may have thought this was at least partially a magic bullet. The forum keeps me diligent on my logging and weighing myself. It keeps me from being complacent and cocky.

"I'm actually a little relieved for you that your tummy has relaxed a little, because that means you can get more nutrition in that will allow you to stay healthy as you age"

I am as well. At first when I started to be able to eat more it scared the heck out of me. But since I haven't gone off the rails yet, I have relaxed. I am better able to get in my nutrition. I now rely less on Protein supplements, because honestly, none of them taste great. One of the practical benefits is I draw far less attention when dining out on business. I hated the attention my nearly untouched plates attracted. (My current capacity is about 4 oz of semi solid food, like meat and bean burrito, about 1 cup of solid but liquidy food like beef stew for instance, or about 3 oz of solid protein like steak)

"*Raising my ginormous glass of psylli tea to salute you!*"

Raising my, ummm, controversial? diet soda to you! 🤣

coming back to reply to this very cool post!

9 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Thanks to Passover dropped back down to 152lbs. The diet is ultra lean and clean but not carb sparing 😱

That's Dr. Longo for you! :) You go girl. It looks beautiful!!! Dr. L.'s "fasting mimicking diet" style isn't low carb, it's super lean, clean, plant based food. You could use that one week a month or quarter to maintain! Congrats!!!!

22 hours ago, sillykitty said:

@FluffyChix

Funny, I was actually in Malibu yesterday. It's only about 50 miles from where I live, but I hadn't been in at least 20 years. No sign of Malibu Barbie, but I did have my own Ken with me . 😍

I'm actually maintaining at between my posted low weight of 125.4 and 130. As of yesterday I was at 128. For right now I'm comfortable as long as I stay below 130. I've posted before, and I still feel this way, I liked my body at a slightly higher weight. Unfortunately I know if I gained back up to say 140, the weight wouldn't end up where I wanted it, you know? So I'm just biding my time until the end of the year and I can spare the time for plastics. Losing my boobs is my version of "magic comes with a price" 🤣

"do you realize how few people on this earth can claim that victory?"

YES! That is one of the reasons I am so grateful for this forum, and participants like you @FluffyChix! I am deeply appreciative of the success I have had, and the relative (compared to many) ease I had getting there. Without the forum I may have thought this was at least partially a magic bullet. The forum keeps me diligent on my logging and weighing myself. It keeps me from being complacent and cocky.

"I'm actually a little relieved for you that your tummy has relaxed a little, because that means you can get more nutrition in that will allow you to stay healthy as you age"

I am as well. At first when I started to be able to eat more it scared the heck out of me. But since I haven't gone off the rails yet, I have relaxed. I am better able to get in my nutrition. I now rely less on Protein supplements, because honestly, none of them taste great. One of the practical benefits is I draw far less attention when dining out on business. I hated the attention my nearly untouched plates attracted. (My current capacity is about 4 oz of semi solid food, like meat and bean burrito, about 1 cup of solid but liquidy food like beef stew for instance, or about 3 oz of solid Protein like steak)

"*Raising my ginormous glass of psylli tea to salute you!*"

Raising my, ummm, controversial? diet soda to you! 🤣

Maybe you just didn't recognize MB? How old is she now? She probably has more wrinkles than me, even! hahahaha! ;) Wooohoooo and we all know you Ken is anatomically correct!!!! Bonus! :D And speaking of Ken, how is that whole "thang" goin? What's the latest and greatest news? Anything?

((hugs)) Boobs as the price of magic. But so glad Santa is bringing you a couple of "whole new bags" ;) ! What a Christmas pressie! Right? And I think your weight really looks beautiful on your body. You have a gorgeous figure. And you know, down the road if regain "does happen to us all" that you would likely settle around 140ish pounds. So this may not be your forever body--but as a temp, it's a smokin' hot one. Right? :D

And yes, you know, I really don't know where I would be without you guys! This journey would have been filled with uncertainty, unknown, loneliness from lack of commonality, and ungrounded. This forum shows me that there is hope in Veteranville--that it is possible to maintain this weight longterm and that weight gain doesn't "arbitrarily" happen for the most part. It is almost 100% caused by some level of recidivism in our choices. But with tight observance of our weight/diet and having a weight window, any little mishaps can be dealt with at the 2-5lb range. I think you said, "Never again spending a year on weight loss?" Or maybe it was @Biddy zz 🏳️🌈 who said that? But it resonates with me and keeps it in perspective. And I wouldn't have it if it wasn't for this forum!!!

So glad your business meetings/dinings are going easier for you and that you are still in solid maintenance because of it!!! When you say 4oz of semi solid food, is that volume or scale measurement? And I'm assuming 3oz solid protein is by scale? :) You know me...always trying to make sure I don't have a football sized pouch! :D

Cheers to your diet soda. I thought about you yesterday. We were out at the park all day at a festival and I had 2 Mich Ultras for the day. :) I raised a bottle to you. Did you see me? ;) *snort*

I certainly am committed to the idea that I will never ever have a year - or even a month - of dieting ahead of me.

Good research shows that weighing yourself every day, and writing it down is a strong predictor of weight loss maintenance. I record my weight every day (unless I am away in a hotel with no scale) and I use Myfitnesspal so I get a graph - and I can put photos alongside dates so I have a great tracking system. This way maintenance is easy. If I am over 136lbs in the morning, I have a careful eating day. If I am under, I can be a bit more relaxed. Easy!

14 minutes ago, Biddy zz 🏳️🌈 said:

I certainly am committed to the idea that I will never ever have a year - or even a month - of dieting ahead of me.

Good research shows that weighing yourself every day, and writing it down is a strong predictor of weight loss maintenance. I record my weight every day (unless I am away in a hotel with no scale) and I use Myfitnesspal so I get a graph - and I can put photos alongside dates so I have a great tracking system. This way maintenance is easy. If I am over 136lbs in the morning, I have a careful eating day. If I am under, I can be a bit more relaxed. Easy!

Brilliant!! And super idea about putting the pics in. I didn't know you could do that! Very cool.