Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Tuesday

Well, its almost here, I am scheduled for this coming Tuesday (9/4). Im scared and nervous as all get out but have faith that the surgeon, anethesists, and the team as a whole will take care of me. Even though this has been a lifestyle change so far, I'm looking at the end goal and that a healthier me is the goal in mind. That being said, one of my bigger fears is the waking up and not knowing what it is going to feel like. I've heard that some are fine and some go through a lot of pain, along with knowing 3/4 of my stomach is gone seems like it is going to be a very strange feeling. We will see and take it one step at a time I suppose. I started this journey at 425 and am down to 397 with my pre-op diet, I started liquids only this morning. I hope to reach 250 at some point.

Once I can, does anyone have any recommendations for a daily Vitamin or supplement? Any advice on any good items to take with me for the overnight stay? Thanks in advance, and thanks for this forum as it has provided a lot of good information already and the support seems to be awesome.

25 minutes ago, hb2392 said:

Well, its almost here, I am scheduled for this coming Tuesday (9/4). Im scared and nervous as all get out but have faith that the surgeon, anethesists, and the team as a whole will take care of me. Even though this has been a lifestyle change so far, I'm looking at the end goal and that a healthier me is the goal in mind. That being said, one of my bigger fears is the waking up and not knowing what it is going to feel like. I've heard that some are fine and some go through a lot of pain, along with knowing 3/4 of my stomach is gone seems like it is going to be a very strange feeling. We will see and take it one step at a time I suppose. I started this journey at 425 and am down to 397 with my pre-op diet, I started liquids only this morning. I hope to reach 250 at some point.

Once I can, does anyone have any recommendations for a daily Vitamin or supplement? Any advice on any good items to take with me for the overnight stay? Thanks in advance, and thanks for this forum as it has provided a lot of good information already and the support seems to be awesome.

Firstly, Congrats!

Second, You won't be able to tell that you are missing part of your stomach, you just can't feel it. With my bypass, I can't tell that my stomach is now in 2 pieces.

For Vitamins and the hospital bag, use the search feature, there are hundreds of posts about these things.

Edited by Matt Z

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery!

First, You are awesome! second, I just had surgery Wednesday and the first 24 hours were the worst. stomach didn't hurt..one spot of stitches felt stretched but were fine...my pain was in left side of my chest and in shoulder. was trapped gas. that was the worst part. my daughter massaged it out felt so much better. just know I feel better today! so it does pass.

Also, at home post OP tips...I highly recommend Depends, and ask your nurse for a personal binder (you wrap around stomach area to help contain it all...I felt like it was pulling down and the binder helped). the Depends served 2 purposes, in case I didn't make it to the potty...which for me was helpful and it reinforced the binder. also make sure you have your Water, Soups, Jello and ice pops ready. You're gonna do great!

Edited by Beth.M

Congratulations!! I had my sleeve sx on 8/22.

I was sore for about 3-4 days post sx. I bought a body pillow which helped.

When you are allowed to, WALK, WALK, WALK. Get that gas outta your body :)

i bought the Vitamins my surgeon had. $16 for a 30 day supply. You can also use Flinstones with Iron twice daily.

In the hospital, I was in and out overnight. Left the following day late that morning. I didn’t bring anything. Should of brought my pillow from home. If I can answer any questions, just ask.

Hello! First, you’re gonna do great! I was sleeved on 8-27 and by 8-31was completely back to my normal routine! Surgery day was fine; all the good hospital meds. The morning after my nurses gave me a pedometer and told me to walk, which I did. I was a sore and the gas was uncomfortable, but not painful. If the Dr. says it’s ok...Walk, walk, walk!!!!! I did not take any oral painkillers after I came off IV as they usually make pretty sick, and did not need them. I did take some liquid Tylenol for a bad headache on the third day and that did the trick. I have Barimelt Vitamins and so far so good. Good luck! By next Saturday this will be behind you and you’ll be well on your journey!

Congrats to you bud. Don't let your fears or worries get to you. Everything leading to the surgery (at the hospital of course) is pretty boring. When you wake up your still kind of out of it but there will be pain. Mine got extreme but that was due to the nurse not giving me my pain meds right away. All I wanted to do was sleep so she felt that if I could sleep through the pain immediately after surgery (probably still hopped up on the pain meds from surgery) I didn't need more. Big mistake saying OK to that. Don't make the same mistake. While on the meds everything was manageable to me. Walking did help a great amount. All I packed in my bag was a phone charger, ear buds and an extra pair of drawers. I was buck ass about 90% of the time while in the hospital so no need for a change of anything really. Oh yeah, I had a squirt bottle of that Biotene spray for dry mouth as well.

Relax and enjoy this weekend. Best to you on this journey and a speedy recovery!!!