Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shaker bottles and sippy lids (and protein powders!)

I was reading somewhere that someone's team insisted they use a sippy lid, to keep the foam off of their Protein Shakes. Sleevers: is this, in your experience, especially important? Couldn't I maybe just wait for a minute, for the foam to subside?

I'm pretty invested in BlenderBottle as a brand--I have like four of them--but they definitely don't have sippy lids.

Possibly relevant: I can't have Premier Protein premade shakes. My team is adamant that the only Protein shakes we drink have some kind of protein isolate as their first ingredient. My team doesn't care if it's whey protein isolate or soy protein isolate, as long as it's an isolate. I'm probably pushing it, a little bit, with my Quest powders, since their first ingredient is "protein blend," but the first ingredient of that is whey protein isolate, which means it's probably still the main ingredient.* As far as premades, I can have Muscle Milk, which I like a lot (pre-op), so that's fine -- but it's also more expensive, so I plan to rely a lot on protein powders to get me through the full liquids stage and as an add-in during the puree stage and onward.

Quest powders do foam when shaken, but the foam subsides pretty quickly. If you have used a foam-free brand--if that's even a thing that exists--I'd also be interested in hearing about that.

*Ingredients have to be listed in order of how much is used, I think by weight. (Maybe by volume? Hm. The FDA just says "predominance" on their website.) Using the chocolate flavored Quest as an example, the first "ingredient" is their protein blend, while the second ingredient is cocoa. I'm fairly certain there's more whey protein isolate in there than there is cocoa.

YAY.....sippy lids. Yes I do use them and not for just shakes.

OK...I still use them and I'm almost a year out

Edited by doug548

I use pea ShakeIt pea Protein which doesn’t foam AT ALL no matter how high or how long I blend it. My system no longer tolerates whey since surgery.

I use Body Fortress Isolate powder. Pick it up at Walmart for just under 20 bucks for a two lb container. It does foam but goes away pretty quickly when shaken. Only problem with shaking Isolate powder is it does not dissolve as much as if you used a blender or bullet. I asked how to avoid this or make it happen less a while back on here and someone suggested adding icecubes. I have found in my blender it doesn't help at all but does make the shake more like a slushy which I like a lot. I drink them foamy anyway and have since right after surgery and have no issues. I was never told it would be an issue by my team so I just said F' it. I was never told anything about using sippy cups either. Never even heard of it?

I use Unjury powders and a regular shaker bottle. I have bought so many brands that I forget which ones. My current "go to" shaker is the one that came with an Unjury sample pack I bought. It's the right size and it doesn't leak (highly important).

I was never told to use a sipper lid and no none said anything about avoiding foam. My shakes aren't terribly foamy, even if I use a blender stick to blend in fruit. I just drink it out of the shaker, which has a flip top. If that's what you mean by a sipper lid, then I guess I am using one. In my interpretation, sipper lids are the kind you use with toddlers.

I can't think of where I read someone saying this, or I'd link it, but yeah... it was a lot like the lids on toddlers' cups.

Anyway, if nobody else was told to stress about this, I'm not going to stress about this. I'll let my shakes settle a bit, and then I'll drink them from the BlenderBottle just like I always have.

(I bet I have at least one coworker who recognizes the sound of the shaker ball hitting the lid of the bottle and who hates it. Unfortunately for them, it's going to happen more often, soon.)

Hi Everyone,

We were told to use sippy cups immediately after surgery and to avoid straws in order to prevent air from getting in to our stomachs while taking sips because that can cause discomfort and fill you up quicker.

In reality I did not use the sippy cup. I just drank carefully and I didn't use straws.

As for Protein, at about 3 weeks post op I started getting nauseous on my whey isolate shake. I was drinking Dymatize whey isolate (chocolate, it didn't foam). I recently switched to ISOMorph 28 pure whey isolate (strawberry, it didn't foam) and the nausea went away. Just today I tried a Isopure protein infusion (the tropical punch). It comes out thin (like crystal light) once the foam settles ( about a minute) and tastes more like a lemonade, but it was a nice change.

As for the shaker bottles I have two I use, but I find the whisk type ball works much better at breaking up the powder!