Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I found a protein shake on Amazon that has 40 grams of protein in each carton

I was told with bypass we don’t digest that much Protein in one sitting . I think it’s too much

I don't like the Premiere shakes. The only one I don't mind drinking is the Atkins Dark chocolate shake. However, I am doing research to find the best Protein drink/powder.

https://primesurgicare.com/dos-and-donts-of-protein-drinks-for-bariatric-patients/

Don't be fooled by some of the labels of a higher Protein intake. Higher protein won't make a difference past 25-30 grams per serving. Your stomach and small intestine can only absorb so much like the other ladies have mentioned. Bigger isn't always better is some cases :D :::getting mind out of gutter:::

I used to drink these shakes. They taste pretty good, Cookies and cream was something I consumed regularly for a while.

But theyre too expensive, and have too many calories.

Im much happier with Premier Protein shakes than the Labrada ones. The only positive about Labrada is its lactose free (but id still rather take a premier with a lactose pill)

I would encourage only buying the Labrada shakes when they are on sale though. Many of the websites that sell it frequently have 20-30% off coupons, which lowers the price to something less insane.

12 hours ago, Jodi1980 said:

Don't be fooled by some of the labels of a higher Protein intake. Higher Protein won't make a difference past 25-30 grams per serving. Your stomach and small intestine can only absorb so much like the other ladies have mentioned. Bigger isn't always better is some cases :D :::getting mind out of gutter:::

i cant speak for people with the bypass as their digestive process is substantially altered. But with the Sleeve I genuinely dont believe that to be true.

The human body is smart and designed around not having a constant source of nourishment, and can take hours to fully digest food. Especially for those of us who are relatively bigger (ie most people who havent lost their weight yet) the notion that we could only absorb 25-30g of protein in a sitting is crazy.

With the Sleeve our stomachs are smaller so we cant eat as much, but digestion is otherwise normal.

Now ideally we would spread our meals out, but if youre trying to get a higher protein intake (150-200g a day) theres no fricken way youre going to be able to accomplish that only getting 25-30g of protein in a meal while eating 7 meals a day

I have a relatively higher protein intake (I aim for 175g + a day) and try to have 4 meals with 40-60g of protein at each, and while anecdotal im in the best shape of my life

(on a side note I dont think the Labrada shake is a good choice, but I did use it for a few months post op as I enjoyed the flavor and it helped me get through the early stages of my post WLS life)

Edited by Mhy12784

9 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

i cant speak for people with the bypass as their digestive process is substantially altered. But with the Sleeve I genuinely dont believe that to be true.

The human body is smart and designed around not having a constant source of nourishment, and can take hours to fully digest food. Especially for those of us who are relatively bigger (ie most people who havent lost their weight yet) the notion that we could only absorb 25-30g of Protein in a sitting is crazy.

With the Sleeve our stomachs are smaller so we cant eat as much, but digestion is otherwise normal.

Now ideally we would spread our meals out, but if youre trying to get a higher protein intake (150-200g a day) theres no fricken way youre going to be able to accomplish that only getting 25-30g of protein in a meal while eating 7 meals a day

I have a relatively higher protein intake (I aim for 175g + a day) and try to have 4 meals with 40-60g of protein at each, and while anecdotal im in the best shape of my life

(on a side note I dont think the Labrada shake is a good choice, but I did use it for a few months post op as I enjoyed the flavor and it helped me get through the early stages of my post WLS life)

Why dont you like the Labrada shake?

4 hours ago, apositivelife4me said:

Why dont you like the Labrada shake?

It's extremely overpriced (I get this is a non issue if you have money), it's significantly higher in calories than most Protein Shakes, and only 55% of the calories in it are from Protein (which is extraordinarily low for a protein shake).

I feel like the purpose of using a Protein Shake in your diet is to have a concentrated source of protein. If a shake is barely over 50% protein, that means the other 50% is pretty much a waste (let's be honest nobody drinks a protein shake to hit their saturated fat requirements or carbs).

When I'm drinking shakes (which I do almost everyday) the goal is to get as much protein as possible for as little calories as possible (although sometimes ill add sources of Fiber to it).

I wouldn't go so far as to call Labrada bad, as it's certainly not bad. But when something like a Premier Protein shake is less than half the price, and 75% of the calories are from protein, it's no contest. And that's not even comparing them both to whey protein isolate shakes (ie Syntrax nectar) that are 90% + calories of protein.

I want my protein shakes to be mostly protein. So I can get my fats and carbs from meats, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. "wasting" almost 10g of fat on a protein shake is exactly that a waste to me. Especially if you're in the losing phase and your calories are extremely restricted.

That said I keep some Protein Bars at work for days where I end up working overtime. And the macros for them are even worse than the shakes. But it's not an everyday routine, it's more of a convience for days where the unexpected comes up at work and I can grab and go.

10 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

It's extremely overpriced (I get this is a non issue if you have money), it's significantly higher in calories than most Protein Shakes, and only 55% of the calories in it are from Protein (which is extraordinarily low for a Protein shake).

I feel like the purpose of using a Protein Shake in your diet is to have a concentrated source of protein. If a shake is barely over 50% protein, that means the other 50% is pretty much a waste (let's be honest nobody drinks a Protein Shake to hit their saturated fat requirements or carbs).

When I'm drinking shakes (which I do almost everyday) the goal is to get as much protein as possible for as little calories as possible (although sometimes ill add sources of Fiber to it).

I wouldn't go so far as to call Labrada bad, as it's certainly not bad. But when something like a Premier Protein shake is less than half the price, and 75% of the calories are from protein, it's no contest. And that's not even comparing them both to whey protein isolate shakes (ie Syntrax nectar) that are 90% + calories of protein.

I want my Protein Shakes to be mostly protein. So I can get my fats and carbs from meats, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. "wasting" almost 10g of fat on a protein shake is exactly that a waste to me. Especially if you're in the losing phase and your calories are extremely restricted.

That said I keep some Protein Bars at work for days where I end up working overtime. And the macros for them are even worse than the shakes. But it's not an everyday routine, it's more of a convience for days where the unexpected comes up at work and I can grab and go.

What do you think of Pure Protein shakes that come in cans. I have tried them and they taste really good. They have 35 g of protein per can. Can you look at them for me and tell me what you think of them. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, apositivelife4me said:

What do you think of Pure Protein Shakes that come in cans. I have tried them and they taste really good. They have 35 g of Protein per can. Can you look at them for me and tell me what you think of them. Thanks.

I have some in my fridge. I think they taste disgusting, but that's very subjective and to each their own

Nutritionally they're very good which is why I bought them in the first place. If you don't mind the taste or the price I think it's a very good shake.

Another option is using a RTD shake and mixing it with whey protein isolate.

For example for Breakfast sometimes I'll take a Premier Protein shake (vanilla) and add a scoop of Syntrax whey protein isolate nectar.

This turns my 160 calorie shake into a 260 calorie shake with roughly 55g of protein. And makes it much more filling and helps me get my protein intake. It also opens up a whole host of flavor combinations to keep things interesting and exciting so I don't get bored. I strongly recommend using a shaker bottle or blender if doing this though as rtd protein shakes don't mix as well as milk typically does

But I'm also 8 months postop and trying to gain muscle (and not really lose weight) so my goals may be different from someone in the losing phase

Edited by Mhy12784