Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Surgery Requirements for RA Patients

Thank you! It sure does. Hope you get relief too.

41 minutes ago, Plucky said:

I'm having the Gastric Sleeve but it is my Rheumatologist who recommended the surgery. I'm allergic to NSAIDs, so Prednisone is my only "painkiller," but the side effects are awful so I'm not taking them any longer. I take a DMARD and a biologic but still my RA hovers between low severe and high moderate. He's had a few patients that have gone into remission, or at the very least able to control the RA. I don't see it as any other choice at this point, I want my life back :)

Well with the sleeve you can take everything, nsaids included (unless you have allergies of course) . With the bypass you have to be really careful taking anything. And this played a huge role in why I decided on the sleeve over the bypass (as well as some surgeons in close with pushing me that direction as well)

7 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

Well with the sleeve you can take everything, nsaids included (unless you have allergies of course) . With the bypass you have to be really careful taking anything. And this played a huge role in why I decided on the sleeve over the bypass (as well as some surgeons in close with pushing me that direction as well)

Because I'm allergic I guess I didn't research it completely. I thought NSAIDs were taboo for both. My surgeon stated that the prednisone would be an issue, as it would counteract the hormone benefits of the surgery.

I am scheduled to do an NSAID allergy challenge of one possible that may not cause a reaction, and I was considering canceling because I didn't think I could use it after the surgery. I guess it won't be a waste to go ahead.

I have enough chronic issues with the RA, I don't want to have to worry about long-term issues with the bypass so that is why I opted for the sleeve.

I see that you are below your goal - Congrats!! Do you have an autoimmune disease? If so did the surgery provide you with improvement in controlling it?

13 minutes ago, Plucky said:

Because I'm allergic I guess I didn't research it completely. I thought NSAIDs were taboo for both. My surgeon stated that the prednisone would be an issue, as it would counteract the hormone benefits of the surgery.

I am scheduled to do an NSAID allergy challenge of one possible that may not cause a reaction, and I was considering canceling because I didn't think I could use it after the surgery. I guess it won't be a waste to go ahead.

I have enough chronic issues with the RA, I don't want to have to worry about long-term issues with the bypass so that is why I opted for the sleeve.

I see that you are below your goal - Congrats!! Do you have an autoimmune disease? If so did the surgery provide you with improvement in controlling it?

I mean some sleeve surgeons don't want their patients using nsaids, but it's not a universal thing (I've been taking celebrex daily since the 7 month mark)

Yeah the bypass carries some challenges. It's a more proven surgery totally and likely has greater benefits, but it's negatives and it's risks are sown thing always worth considering.

I'm not sure if I have autoimmune disease yet. I definitely have arthritis, but my lab work from my preop and during my sleeve has actually caused my team to identify some abnormalities that I have been getting worked up for several months. Autoimmune is suspected though. I've been on celebrex the last 2 to 3 months, and I think a DMARD trial is coming soon to see how that impacts my lab work as they don't want me on celebrex long term.

Can't say I've noticed a difference of anything physical since the surgery. Only differences have been in the mirror (and mental} but **** I'll take that

And yeah below my initial goal, but I still have such a long way to go. This is still the beginning of getting to where I wanna go!

Edited by Mhy12784

Oh me also, there have been stories on here of osteoarthritis lessening or going into near remission but we seem to be the only 3 RA has marked as his own. FYI we have a,new anchor locally. who is a fellow sufferer, he has had both knees , both hips worked on, he and his wife wanted wanted the blessings of ch8ldren, he was on some major drugs for our friend. He had to go,off them for 6 mon5he before he and his Amy were allowed to conceive. They have a lovely little girl, can't remember what they named her, I think Emma, at this point she is an only child, don't know if they're planning another or not ,

@Frustr8 so awesome they were able to have a little girl!

Got my date today! Surgery is scheduled for August 23.