Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m so ready to feel better!

2 minutes ago, nibble said:

How about changing that to "1. Add 1 scoop of Protein Powder to one food item each day?"

Or even better, try meeting your Protein goals with food & logging it each day. After the initial food progression stages, you need to learn to eat lean protein for every single meal. Its difficult to get in a habit of thinking that a salad without a lean meat or soy option isn't a good choice (veggies you put on salads don't add up to much in the way of protein). Many people don't make protein goals prior to surgery. That was on thing my NUT suggested was to make sure I was meeting this goal prior to. I had to learn what protein sources I liked and which I didn't like. I like to meet my goals with food, vs. protein supplements. But to each their own.

34 minutes ago, nibble said:

Here a few ideas - modify them to suit your situation:

1, Start now having one Protein Shake meal per day. Just one. Make it the same meal each day. Commit.

2. Walk from your door to X and back. X can = mailbox, a plant, a tree, the next house or apt. Keep it short.

3. The next day, do it twice, walk from A to B and back. That's all. If someone says "What the heck are you doing?", just give a mysterious smile and say "Research!" and move on.

4. The following day, do it 3 times, etc etc.

5. When you feel ready, pick another point B a little further, maybe twice as far. Don't push yourself. Just do it.

6. During commercials, use a theraband or hand weight as you sit or stand. Commit.

7. If possible, see if your PBS station carries Sit and Be Fit - 30 min of exercises sitting in a chair. Tape it, then Watch & Do. Do what you can, rest when you need to. Don't try to keep up, but stay the course.

8. Start drinking 8 glasses of Water daily. Can't do it? No prob- just track what you CAN do, each day.

This whole journey is about baby steps. No reason you can't begin yours now!

All good advice! Thank you! I drink Premier Protein shakes here and there. Maybe 1-2 a week for some extra Protein when I haven't had much. But I know I should start working to make that my priority. Also, yes, walking. Definitely. You are right. No reason I can't do it that way. Baby steps.

7 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Or even better, try meeting your Protein goals with food & logging it each day. After the initial food progression stages, you need to learn to eat lean Protein for every single meal. Its difficult to get in a habit of thinking that a salad without a lean meat or soy option isn't a good choice (veggies you put on salads don't add up to much in the way of protein). Many people don't make protein goals prior to surgery. That was on thing my NUT suggested was to make sure I was meeting this goal prior to. I had to learn what protein sources I liked and which I didn't like. I like to meet my goals with food, vs. protein supplements. But to each their own.

I know I need to focus on that. I have been logging food in an app off and on for about 6 years now. It kills me to do it, but I know I need to start. I've almost always used MFP and maybe I need to find something different. I just don't know if they work as good as MFP. I feel like I'm going to be the opposite and want to try to utilize the supplements as much as possible but I am not opposed to the challenge of trying!

11 minutes ago, beingdina said:

I know I need to focus on that. I have been logging food in an app off and on for about 6 years now. It kills me to do it, but I know I need to start. I've almost always used MFP and maybe I need to find something different. I just don't know if they work as good as MFP. I feel like I'm going to be the opposite and want to try to utilize the supplements as much as possible but I am not opposed to the challenge of trying!

I hope you don't get sick of Protein supplements like most WLS patients... a lot of times it becomes intolerable. Too sweet and the texture wears on you. You can always try.

Edited by AshAsh1

21 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I hope you don't get sick of Protein supplements like most WLS patients... a lot of times it becomes intolerable. Too sweet and the texture wears on you. You can always try.

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, just like everyone on here I've been battling this fat demon for years and years. I've done juice fasts, smoothies daily for a year for breakfasts, Premier shakes for Breakfast off and on for years, shakes as Snacks, etc. I'm so SICK OF IT ALL to be honest, but have to keep moving forward, right? Like that part I struggle with the most: tracking AGAIN. etc. What tracker do you use? I've used MFP for like 6 years, but ready for a new one.

Just now, beingdina said:

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, just like everyone on here I've been battling this fat demon for years and years. I've done juice fasts, smoothies daily for a year for breakfasts, Premier shakes for Breakfast off and on for years, shakes as Snacks, etc. I'm so SICK OF IT ALL to be honest, but have to keep moving forward, right? Like that part I struggle with the most: tracking AGAIN. etc. What tracker do you use? I've used MFP for like 6 years, but ready for a new one.

I use MFP also, and I like it a lot... sorry that's not helpful. I even pay for the premium version w/o ads. I have tried Baritastic as well.

Just remember that dieting is different than surgery. Surgery will change your taste buds and your tolerance for certain foods, textures, and even smells. This won't be your average weight loss attempt when it comes to what you will want to eat or not eat. I do hope that you can find something that works. Getting enough Protein is a huge key to success. Everything from weight loss to Hair loss.

I like nibble's,list, all pretty doable. If you want not to do the Protein Shake for lunch plan, how about cottage cheese with wzterpacked fruit like pears, Tomato, or tuna, Greek yogurt, even plain scrambled,eggs or boiled egg. Something besides jelly and pbutter on white bread, baloney sandwich with. chips or 2 fat chocochip Cookies. those last 3 got you where you are today. Even a glass of white milk is better than those ooey gooey Satanic cookies. Granted I am allergic to chocolate but I have indulged in their 1st cousins Peanut Butter and butterscotch chip soft cookies. Not only a moment on your lips, forever on your hips but they never flew by my thighs. My thunder thighs would feed 2 cannibal families Easter dinner. Right now it is 5 pm, and Grouchy Ghrelin says I'm hungry. Not just in my head, I want a tossed salad with a sliced hard boiled egg and sliced tomato in it, dressing on the side, thank you! Why don't I go get it? Because I'm posting instead of letting GG win the argument. I hope Dr Needleman wrecks his little red wagon in July with my surgery. I'll even accept a Jackson-Pratt drain in gratitude! I too want to FEEL BETTER!😝🌈👍

I definitely and fully understand how much it will be a lifestyle change and how it can truly affect my relationship with food. I'm ready for it to be different. I just really want to get to a point where tracking doesn't feel like a ball and chain or a chore, and I'm fine eating healthy, because I'm not living to eat, I'm eating to live. I may give another shot at MFP. It's on my phone now. I'm going to start trying to track everything starting in the morning (since today's half over). I'm telling myself that starting on Sunday, I'm going to not eat out by myself anymore unless I'm buying whole healthy food from a grocery store. I'm also going to wean myself off of the carbonated Water and find myself a great 64oz water bottle to lug around with me with the goal of drinking 2 a day (before surgery) and at least 1 a day after.

10 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

I like nibble's,list, all pretty doable. If you want not to do the Protein Shake for lunch plan, how about cottage cheese with wzterpacked fruit like pears, Tomato,or tuna, Greek yogurt, even plain scrambled,eggs or boiled egg. Something besides jelly and pbutter on white bread, baloney sandwich with. chips or 2 fat chocochip Cookies. those last 3 got you where you are today. Even a glass of white milk is better than those ooey gooey Satanic Cookies. Granted I am allergic to chocolate but I have indulged in their 1st cousins Peanut Butter and butterscotch chip soft cookies. Not only a moment on your lips, forever on your hips but they never flew by my thighs. My thunder thighs would feed 2 cannibal families Easter dinner. Right now it is 5 pm, and Grouchy Ghrelin says I'm hungry. Not just in my head, I want a tossed salad with a sliced hard boiled egg and sliced Tomato in it, dressing on the side, thank you! Why don't I go get it? Because I'm posting instead of letting GG win the argument. I hope Dr Needleman wrecks his little red wagon in July with my surgery. I'll even accept a Jackson-Pratt drain in gratitude! I too want to FEEL BETTER!😝🌈👍

I eat those things pretty often (favorite is a mac and cheese lean cuisine with a packet of tuna) or a cup of cottage cheese with a fruit cup of pineapples. I don't eat PB&J's or Pb at all for that matter, or baloney. LOL. I love fast food, restaurants, etc. because I hate cooking when I have to work full time. I love being served because I have to do it all at home, so when and where I can I find myself trying to get the same treatment my family gets from me. But I get what you are saying. For sure! I know that eating crap got me where I am, and I need to make better decisions.

I think people are not understanding what my OP was about... it was more about how desperate I am to have the surgery so I can start my new life... because anything I do now feels like all the other attempts over the last 20 years of my life.

On 06/29/2018 at 16:17, beingdina said:

I definitely and fully understand how much it will be a lifestyle change and how it can truly affect my relationship with food. I'm ready for it to be different. I just really want to get to a point where tracking doesn't feel like a ball and chain or a chore, and I'm fine eating healthy, because I'm not living to eat, I'm eating to live. I may give another shot at MFP. It's on my phone now. I'm going to start trying to track everything starting in the morning (since today's half over). I'm telling myself that starting on Sunday, I'm going to not eat out by myself anymore unless I'm buying whole healthy food from a grocery store. I'm also going to wean myself off of the carbonated Water and find myself a great 64oz Water bottle to lug around with me with the goal of drinking 2 a day (before surgery) and at least 1 a day after.

One thing I love about MFP is it gives you a great way to track your progress. I love looking at my pics to see my face change.

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

1 minute ago, beingdina said:

I eat those things pretty often (favorite is a mac and cheese lean cuisine with a packet of tuna) or a cup of cottage cheese with a fruit cup of pineapples. I don't eat PB&J's or Pb at all for that matter, or baloney. LOL. I love fast food, restaurants, etc. because I hate cooking when I have to work full time. I love being served because I have to do it all at home, so when and where I can I find myself trying to get the same treatment my family gets from me. But I get what you are saying. For sure! I know that eating crap got me where I am, and I need to make better decisions.

I think people are not understanding what my OP was about... it was more about how desperate I am to have the surgery so I can start my new life... because anything I do now feels like all the other attempts over the last 20 years of my life.

You should be able to find healthy-ish options while eating out. Here is an article that has some breakfast options. Just stay away from white bread, Pasta (that isn't whole grain, or Protein pasta), and anything with processed sugar.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20961496,00.html#lyfe-kitchen-spinach-and-avocado-frittata-0

Thanks Ash!

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I’m in the same boat you are. I don’t have a surgery date yet. Just taking things one step at a time as insurance approves things. I sit a lot at work and made a decision to get rid of my printer at my desk. So when I print I have to get up and walk to the copy machine. I was but got out of the habit and now that I’m thinking on it will start again is taking the long way to the printer. Or washroom. When I do get up.

On 06/30/2018 at 06:09, Lora67 said:

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I’m in the same boat you are. I don’t have a surgery date yet. Just taking things one step at a time as insurance approves things. I sit a lot at work and made a decision to get rid of my printer at my desk. So when I print I have to get up and walk to the copy machine. I was but got out of the habit and now that I’m thinking on it will start again is taking the long way to the printer. Or washroom. When I do get up.
It’s a tough row to hoe for sure. Good job on moving more at work. I actually started a new job 4 months ago and I walk a lot more at this new job but I know I need to start walking on my breaks more. I’m starting to get back into geocaching too which is a way to get steps and activity in while you hunt for treasures. 😁 Good luck in your journey! Feel free to message me any time!

Ok so I am towards the end of my journey but as far as getting up and moving I get it I have a balance disorder and I’ve torn a tendon in my left foot but I still make mini trips something I’ve learned after having about 8 previous operations and all the talk about blood clots if your having trouble walking just stand every 15 minutes per hour that your awake then progress to stretching at your desk if you do a small stand and stretch you will be increasing blood flow and helping save your back then every hour go to the bathroom just walk to the bathroom or grab Water or something so your moving thruought your day