Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Argon & successful bandsters

I am in need of some advise and tips from all you successful people out there in band land. I was banded 6 weeks ago, for the most part doing ok. I go for my first fill on the 15th. I am hungry all the time and can eat pretty much as normal befor banding. Will the first fil curb this hunger? It is a hourly struggle not to nibble. I have lost 20lbs since banding and about 15 befor so about 35 in total, if i don't get this nibbling and grazing under control I will gain some back. Any tips you can share wouold be greatly appriciated.

Thankyou everyone

Sherrylynn

You are in a tough spot right now, as it sounds like you dont have proper restriction, which is not uncommon after just your first fill.

A couple of things for you. First, get you next fill as soon as you can so that you can work on getting proper restriciton. That is half the battle.

Next, try and find something to replace the urge to nibble, whether it is working out or knitting, or chatting with people, Anything to keep you occupied so that you are not thinking about eating.

For me the biggest thing I attribute to my success is exercise in adittion to the band. Try to start getting out for some walks, or join a gym.

Lastly, dont be so hard on yourself. As an overweight people we tend to beat ourselves up. Remember that the band is a process and that it will take time to get the weight off.

Andrew

Sherrylynn. Your doctor has not put much restriction on your band at this time. You need to heal and the band to settle in (if you will). Some think it is to allow scar tissue to form to hold the band in place. I am sure your doctor has a schedule of fills for you to follow.

As for your nibbles, don't forget we all suffer head hunger. No matter how tight the restriction you must work on correcting your bad habits. the band can't do that for you. What it does do is remind you when you break the rules. Until you get your fills, work on more exercise, eating sensibly, and plan your Snacks so they are healthy choices. You are in a tough spot right now - between and rock and a hard place. So put your energy into planning your life style changes NOT dieting. Hang in there it will get better.Doddie

Hi Gaffer, I have not gotten a fill yet my first fill is on the 15th. you are doing fantastic. good job. I am amazed.

If you dont have your first fill then you are in what is sometimes refered to a "bandster hell".

Right now, like Doddie mentioned, is the time to focus on getting healed properly, and trying to be as good as possible on your post op diet.

Dont worry, once you are on the path to proper restriction, you will feel much better. The you will have to work on the head hunger issue that we all deal with.

Andrew

Hi Sherrylynn,

I agree with what these guys said. Don't 'worry so much about these things right now. 20lbs in 6 weeks is AWESOME... way better than I did! I don't think you're going to gain anything back, don't worry. Even if you are eating more than you think you should be, it's not more than you used to eat! Your first fill will help. I was almost eating normal again (felt like it, but I'm sure it wasn't really 'normal' amounts) before my first fill, and it definitely decreased after that fill.

Just be patient, and do all the things you hear you're supposed to, and what your Dr. says, AS BEST as you can, and you'll do great too. I'm far from the model bandster, but it's worked for me so far. :(

Mandi

Thankyou everyone for the advise, It is a struggle right now but I am coping. On another topic, I spoke to a lady who was recently banded and is also taking weight loss pills as well, have any of you ever heard of combining the two? In all my reading I've not heard of it until now.

Thankyou everyone for the advise, It is a struggle right now but I am coping. On another topic, I spoke to a lady who was recently banded and is also taking weight loss pills as well, have any of you ever heard of combining the two? In all my reading I've not heard of it until now.

I would not think of taking weight loss pills at this point. Talk to your surgeon about it, not some lady on the forum. I am not too sure what your surgeon will say about it.

Really, you are only a week or so away from your fill. Stick to your prescribed after care. Dont worry so much about losing wieght at this point, once you get the proper restriction you will be on your way.

Andrew

No Gaffer I am not even considering it. I just mentioned it because I have never heard of the 2 combined befor, I have never tried diet pills, and have no plans to believe me. Sherrylynn

Hi Sherrylynn,

You are doing great kiddo! 20 pounds since surgery is awesome! I agree with those that have already written here and the advice they are giving. I know I am not at goal yet nor all that close, but I am almost half way there and I had to post as I do feel that my band is a success! It reminds me when I have been foolish in my choices, and when I have had enough. Head hunger is another thing. We all have to deal with that ugly demon from food hell.

The feelings you are expressing are ones that I think almost every single banded person feels. I keep thinking why is this going so slow??? I should have lost so much more by now... What is wrong with me.... then I give my head a shake and remind myself what I have done... I think of the positives like I am now able to shop at stores I could not before! That is a huge thing for me, lol I love to shop -=winks=- Also the little things like how I feel now when I sit in a booth when I go out for lunch with a friend. It feels good and the reason it does is because even though I am losing slowly I am losing!! and I love being this kind of a loser. You will too, tell yourself how good you are doing Sherrylynn, tell yourself 100 times a day! and come here as you have now and we will all tell you what we have learned and remind you that this will and is working!!

As they have said this is a difficult stage to be at, but it will soon be in the past just like the pre-op diet is now a memory so too will this part of the journey. Hang in there you can do it! You are strong just look back on all you have done already!

Thank you for posting, it gave me the chance to remind myself too!

The whole purpose of the band is to learn to eat in a healthy way. Taking diet pills may help in the weight loss area, but what are you learning about proper eating. Also, isn't the reason we spent 16K to get the band was to kick the quick fixes such as diet pills. I note you will not be taking them and good for you but I suppose it boils down to personal choices. Doddie

Hi Sherrylynn, give yourself time - you have the rest of your life to be the new thin you.

This band is really about the aftercare. The fills make the band work for you and it takes time to reach the proper fill level - "the sweetspot". Don't worry you'll get there. It's different for everyone. I have had five fills and I feel pretty close to what I think is my sweet spot. You'll get to know as time goes on what fill level works for you. Most people aim for about a 1-2lb weight loss a week but of course there are many reasons why this also varies amongst bandsters. Good luck in your journey and be patient - you will get there soon enough.

Andrew - if you're knitting these days I could sure use a scarf for Xmas!

:)

You are doing great. Make sure you are eating solid foods and not too much liquid after eating...keep it up. You have the rest of your life to get used to your band!

Andrew - if you're knitting these days I could sure use a scarf for Xmas!:)

LIke I have time to knit these days. I am so busy building butterflies and holding down a full time job, while wrangling my 18 month old that I barely have time to sleep.

I'll tell you what, you can buy one at the art & craft shows that I will be selling at for the next 4 weeks.

If anyone is interested, here is the schedule:

Nov. 9,10,11 - Millarville Christmas

Nov. 16,17,18 - Spruce Meadows Christmas

Nov. 23,24,25 - Spruce Meadows Christmas

Nov. 29,30, Dec. 1, 2 - Our Best to You - Round Up Center

If your at the shows, look for the guy with all the butterflies & bugs. Thats me.

Andrew