Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Dates

I'm jealous Shirley. I won't be going on my first cruise until Nov. or early Dec.

I'm glad you posted that about Set points, Stephanie. Another way to reset your metabolism rate (Set Point) is to increase your exercise. My nurse discouraged further fills for me even though I can eat over 1 -1/2 cups at lunch and dinner. I'm tight in the morning. Her reasoning, which is very sound, is that I need calories for what I am doing. I have done 3 triathlons since 6/21/08. I have my fourth Tri on Saturday, 9/6/08.

One thing that I decided on before I had the surgery was that I was DONE dieting. This is not a diet for me at all. The Band gave me back control of portion size. I know what is sensible to eat, but freely admit that I have not always eaten the "good foods" since the band. I reward myself with something I want. I just don't eat "the whole box" anymore. I don't want the whole box anymore.

This is just my 2 cents to the forum. Good luck to you all!!!

Wow, Chris, triathalons?! I've always enjoyed sports and working out, but I'm not a fast swimmer--ok, so I'm a great tanner and definitely more of a dipper--and I hate running. I have promised to run with my sister-in-law next May for a 5K. I don't think I'm being unrealistic, but now that I'm committed, I'm already starting to stress about it. My ego is huge. I can't begin to tell you how bruised it would be if I were to finish last.....

I, too, can eat far more than I'm supposed to, but after an unfortunate week and subsequent un-fill, I've committed myself to being my own Portion Control police. I don't want to end up with a slipped band simply because I couldn't work with the band. Of course, I'll admit, there are plenty of nights I go ahead and have icecream or some other sinful delight and am willing to do the extra 30 minute workout to balance it off. When I was tighter, I felt unhuman. There were so many foods I couldn't tolerate any more. I didn't sign up for that.

Congratulations to you and your hard work. Good luck at your next triathalon! :thumbdown:

I set a number of goals for myself before I got the band. Most were weight loss related and short sighted. One very important goal was to run a 5K by my bandiversary date, 12/6/08. I went skiing in February. My legs cramped so bad!! I used to love to ski. I committed to ski more than just that one time in the season. I ended up going 8 times, many of them for the full day. I realized that my legs were getting in shape. I also was riding an exercise bike. When the weather got nice, I pulled out my mountain bike and took a few short rides. What I found was that I felt so much better after riding. I increased the distances to 5 miles and on up to 15 miles. One day in May I realized that I was no further to my goal of running the 5K (3.1 miles). I took my bike down to a parkway and measured 2.5K with my bike's odometer. The next morning I was comitted to start training. The first run was more walk than run. I walked/ran that course a few times a week. By the 3rd week, I ran half way, albeit very slowly. The next week I knew I had to better that. I ended up jogging the entire 5K. I had my mountain bike in my truck too. I decided to ride the 5K course for a warm down. I ended up riding 13 miles that day. When I got home, I realized that I reached my goal, but not in an organized race. I looked online to find a race that I could run in to make it "Official". While searching, I came across a website for a Sprint Triathlon. I had heard of the Ironman Triathlon, but not Sprint. As I read, I found that there are 4 categories of triathlons. The Sprint is a 750m (821 yards) swim, followed by a 20K (12.4 mile) bike, and then a 5K (3.1 mile) run. I realized that I had done 2/3 of that on that very day. I can swim. My dad threw all of the kids in the pool at 18 to 24 months of age. We learned to swim early and well. I had been on a swim team in jr. high. That afternoon I went to the community pool and swam 34 lengths (850 yards). I knew I could do a Sprint triathlon. I signed up for a Sprint Triathlon 2 weeks later. The next week I did the swim first then the bike the the run. The run was much more difficult as it was the last thing. I walked alot more than I wanted. I did my 5K and a Sprint Triathlon in the same event. It wasn't until the 4th of July that I ran a stand alone 5K, which was my original goal. That was 2 weeks after my 1st triathlon.

You mentioned a fear of being last. I promised myself I would never be last. I am always first. I only compete against myself! However, I have never been the final one across the finish line. Do you know what they call the last one to finish a triathlon? The same as the first one to finish, a TRIATHLETE. A man I met while training gave me a line that became a mantra that I still wear on my arm at each triathlon under my number. It says: DFL>DNF>DNS This means: Dead Freaking Last is greater than Did Not Finish, which is greater than Did Not Start. My goal is and always will be to start. If I start, I will finish unless a medic drags me off the course!

I really owe my inspiration to the other Mantra that I put on the other arm under my number: JFDI. This means Just Focus and Do It! The are other versions of this as well. Personally, I love Just Freaking Do It. There are others, but I'll let you figure them out!!! A goal is just a statement until you DO IT! I have set many other goals as a result of triathlons. I am addicted. I am not the fastest in the races, nor the prettiest. But I always WIN! Hope this helps to motivate others. Along the way, I have reached the PRIMARY GOAL in my journey with the LapBand. It has never been about losing weight. Numbers are what we measure by, so I keep track of them too. But my goal has been to become fit and healthy. Weight loss is a benefit of getting fit and getting healthier.

If you don't like your results, change your approach. It always works!!! Scouts Honor!!! Good luck!

Edited by UT LB Loser

Hello fellow Merry Bandsters!!! Our year mark is rapidly approaching. It seems this thread is nearly dead. Please share your Bandiversary plans with the rest of us. My plans include a flight to Death Valley on the 5th of Dec. On the morning of the 6th (my Bandiversary) I will be running the Death Valley Half Marathon. What a gift to give myself!!!! I can hardly contain my thankfulness for my Band and what it has helped me accomplish this past year. I know that not everyone has had the same results, and for that I am sorry!!!! I love hearing about the small victories everyone has had - not just the big ones. Please share!!!!! Have a great day!

Edited by UT LB Loser

WOW Chris! Amazing what you have accomplished . . . GREAT to hear success stories! And what a cool bandiversary gift to yourself! Good for you! I'm still hobbling around with a bum hip most the time - but I CAN hobble this year without a cane! Best of everything to you!

Chris

Hi everybody - Yep our bandiversaries are sneaking up on us. I'm happy to report that I have been at goal weight for about 4 months now. Through the whole process I lost a whopping 128 lbs. It has been a simply amazing journey. My husband and I have been rockhounding and camping lately. I'm new at the rockhounding and have missed the camping enormously.

Everyday I find myself marveling at the ability I have to just move. It can be something as big as hiking up a mountain or as small as squating down to pick something up. I think that I truly value all the stuff like that in life now because I missed it for so long. Life is so good now.

Maintaining has been easy so far. I keep a vigilant eye on myself because I know that I can be the spoiled run-a-muck child if I don't. However, I am surprised at how my tastes have changed and how I like eating better now. Who would have thought I would ever be that way.

So, here's to us. We've changed our lives. To those of you who have reached goal or made these changes...congratulations!!!! For those who are still in the thinking process, do it, you won't regret it in the end.

Happy Holidays everybody!!!

MERRY LOSERS

Dec 3 - CarolK1

parrot0927

Dec 4 - TXbandit (tentative)

kris102003

Dec 5 - mejr62

Chienne and her dad

Dec 6 - Sghatl

Dec 7 - Newblew

jen hollers

Dec 8

Dec 9

Dec 10 - HeatherA (tentative)

Dec 11 - ::Tracy::

Dec 12 - Caramel

Dec 13 - jmschnapf

Anyalee

Mommathang

Dec 14

Dec 15

Dec 16

Dec 17 - 100lbsforsale

MissSac

Dec 18 - Mendypoo

Livingthe Dream

Dec 19 - Cerrin (tentative)

Dec 20

Dec 21

Dec 22

Dec 23

DEC 24

Dec 25 - MERRY CHRISTMAS

Dec 26 - Miss Polly

Dec 27 - jasmona1214

Dec 28 - The Fox

imsamiam

Alsobrook71

Hello Friends,

Wanted to check in since I was banded back in Dec of 07. Everything has gone as planned and the band has done its job. I started at 280+ and now I am holding steady at 215. I would say that even after a year I still order more food that I can eat at most meals and that if not banded I would balloon back up. I have been as low as 197 but at 6'3 it made people worry that I was getting to thin. I am now targeting 205 and say the hell with them. It is crazy to get feedback from people that have known you and then those that have only known you as skinny. My old friends try to get me to stop. My deal is 220 I look just right with clothes on but with clothes off 200 looks good. So I am going with what makes me feel good.

Can you all believe we made it a year?? My bandiversary was the 28th and I feel MAHVELOUS!! It really has been pretty easy for me (Knock on wood) and I thank God everyday that I was able to do this. I still have about 20 lbs I need to lose but I am very happy at the process. No I am not running in any marathons but I am exercising and eating better and I just feel better all around. Can't wait till it has been 2 years to see where I will be then!! Good luck guys!

Mine was December 17, 2007, I've lost 104lbs now total and still losing slower but getting towards a healthier me, congrats everyone!