Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Stories :)

It's amazing how much better I feel today. I actually am starting to feel human. I may even go outside for a walk later. I'm getting a little bored. I'm staying ahead by taking my pain medicine on schedule so that may also be a reason I feel better.

That's smart... that's what they did at the hospital in the 2 nights I was there... probably wouldn't have survived otherwise. Haven't needed the pain meds since Day 3... I've been pretty lucky I think. Good luck! :whoo::whoo:

Laura, I heard you can take suppositories. Someone on another thread told me this and she didn't have any problems. I think it may have been the particular brand of pill I took. I'm not really sure. You'll feel a LOT better though once you've "gone";)

I don't know about you guys, but apple juice works REALLY well for me as a natural laxative. I had no idea of this until I got the flu, started downing tons of apple juice as my Fluid and developed another problem that wasn't part of the original illness. LOL Once I stopped drinking it, the problem cleared up. You could try that to get things moving. I know it's a lot of sugar, but they do have the light variety and I think a little bit of sugar wouldn't upset me too much if I wanted to get moving that bad.

How cool to get to see your band! I'm jealous. LOL

Hi Everyone: I was banded yesterday (11/6). Went in at 5 a.m. and into pre-op at about 6. Don't remember when I got back to my room but my fiance said the Dr told him the actual procedure took about 20 minutes...AMAZING to me. I am pretty sore on my left side, I feel like I am going to pull something out when I try to sit or stand. Once I am in a position, I feel better. I haven't ventured to anything but Liquid Protein (punch flavor) in my juice, Water and broth. Haven't been nauseated except right after surgery. A little shoulder pain but it's working out. I notice I gained 5 lbs, had to laugh about that. I am sure the fluids in the IV's have not moved out yet. Hungery is manageable for now but the future scares me. I wanted the surgery to remove my desire to eat but that's probably asking a lot for $15,000 (and a bit unrealistic, but it sounded cute!) I appreciate reading everyone's stories, I don't feel so alone. Thanks to everyone.

Penny

It's been so many days since my surgery that I'll just lump my surgery story in with my recovery story. (I've been recovering at my mom's house since surgery, with no access to my computer.)

Surgery was 11/2/07. Went in earlier than expected because there was a cancellation -- one lady before me had not lost the required weight, and also hadn't made arrangements to be taken home, because she didn't know up until the very last day that her insurance would kick in, so she had to cancel. My surgery went well, except I was desperately nauseated from the anesthesia. :sick My doctor wasn't sure why the anesthesiologist used the anesthesia he did, because evidently, it didn't have to be that way. After four different anti-nausea injections, I finally felt better. But time has a way of making those experiences fade, so I won't dwell on the hours of abject agony. My surgery was at 10:00 a.m and I was out of the hospital by 7:30 p.m.

I've had gas, but not that bad. Recovery has been way easier than my laproscopic gall bladder operation. No pain in the left shoulder this time, although it took 3 or 4 days for all of the gas to pass. I was put on liquid Percocet (Vicodin makes me nauseous) and am off of that now. I've basically just laid on the sofa or easy chair for five days. I feel fine, but have been quite tired. I took a one-hour trip to run an errand on day three and was exhausted. Day four went to pick up cream Soup and flavorless whey Protein, and was drained.

I HAVE to go to work tomorrow, because I just learned that they've laid off five legal secretaries where I work, and it's not a good time to be off work right now. :paranoid

I was surprised that the Protein drinks I drank before the surgery taste horribly sweet and rich to me now. I'm watering them down (having to drink more to get my Protein in). :) I also prefer plain Water to Crystal Light. :)

I'm definitely in the zone now -- just figured out my "gas" pains are actually probably hunger pangs, but WHO CARES!!! I feel GREAT, and have NO cravings. I can handle a rumbling tummy, and this liquid diet phase is easy to stick to. (And no, I won't be too proud to take this back, if in a couple of days, I'm ready to gnaw my right arm off in hunger.) :)

Good luck to all!!

lindsayann:

I know what you mean about everything tasting too sweet. I usually love Propel but the taste has been bothering me the last few days. I'm drinking Water from my Pur filter that has just a bit of raspberry flavoring added but no sweetness. It tastes similar to when you squeeze a wedge of lemon into Water, only raspberry.

You'll be fine tomorrow. Just take it easy and let yourself get used to being up and around again. Good luck!

I knew when whatever they gave me during surgery, for pain, would wear off, but I never imagined I would hurt this much. I feel like a punching bag. The good think about today, is that I'm passing gas like crazy! Tomorrow has got to be better.

Hi Renee, I feel for you. When I first woke up from surgery, I felt like someone had grabbed hold of my stomach and were squeezing it tight and every cut had someone's finger jammed into! :) Once the nurses gave me painkillers it stopped... can't remember how long after, was still slightly out of it. The only thing I promise you is it will pass... 2 days later and I was off my painkillers. Of course my stomach was bloated and still sore for the next few days but not needing painkillers. I was lucky, didn't get gas pains so maybe that's why it's been easier for me than some. Anyway, hang in there, it does get better. I'm at Day 8 and can get in and out of bed with no pain in the stomach. Good luck! :)

Okay, I know these things are different for everyone, and the weight loss can be a slow go at first, but I'm so excited, I hope no one minds me sharing that since my surgery on Friday, Nov 2, I've lost 11 pounds. :)

Of course,I know this will have to slow down soon, but it's been a happy, surprising boost for me.

Lindsey Ann - I know, it gives you a boost, doesn't it, like this time, wow, I can really lose the weight - finally! That's how I feel. It's very motivational, whereas being on a diet was just depressing.

I can't even tell you how much all of your stories are helping me get through this long 10 day liquid diet and keeping me strong and motivated.

Lindseyann- I know what you mean, I've lost 11 lbs since starting this diet and it has really given me a new lease on life. Knowing that I'm finally on the road to being healthy!!

Please keep sharing the experiences, it really is helping those of us that are still waiting!!

-Traci

Surgery was yesterday. I've been drinking my Water, making sure I have Protein added to water. In all the post op stuff, it says that we will feel somewhat of a resriction and will have to take tiny sips. I feel no different today being banded as I did 2 days ago not being banded (other than hurting like crazy when I get up)! liquids go down really easy. The only thing I notice is that I always feel full and don't feel like I'm being deprived. Does the feeling of restriction start when I go to pureed and mushy?

Feeling of restriction will start when you get fills.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f13/how-lap-band-actually-works-fills-refills-41738/#post572910

Prior to receiving an EFFECTIVE fill, it is VERY uncommon to have any restriction from a Lap-Band.