Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for family life after surgery

I am a 28 year old mother of two girls (ages 4&5). My gastric bypass is scheduled for July 23rd. My husband is able to take some time off when I first come home. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of good things to have prepared ahead of time to make it a little easier once I come home? My kids are thankfully old enough that the lifting won’t be a problem, but I will be the one taking care of them after a week or so, so any advice would be much appreciated.

I have been making extra meals and freezing them to make it easy on me just incase i dont feel like cooking i just have to grab it out the night/day and heat them up even made single meals for me hubby/boys to grab out and heat up for lunch ect.

Honestly, don't prep. My wife tried to and we ended up with things getting tossed because it was either way too much to consume post op or I just couldn't tolerate the item any longer.

I mean, post op, 1 oz of food is going to totally fill you up and take you a while to get down, so 1 can of say Chili is going to last pretty damn long.

Prepping for the family's easement maybe, you might not want to be around cooking food for a few, I know I had a hard time the smell of cooking food for a week or so, just turned my stomach.

After a week or so, barring any complications you should be just fine overall, I know I wasn't allowed to pick up more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks... so 1 gallon of milk is 10 lbs, so you'll want to plan for stuff of that nature.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys! I’ve been waiting and working so hard to get to this point. But when it’s actually here, anxiety spikes a little because it somehow feels like I’m not ready. 😂

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches