Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staying accountable and emotional eating

7 hours ago, Ernie D said:

I need to get some nutrition in me. I don't even say food anyone. When I say nutrition it reminds me I am taking care of my body and making good choices.

Love this!

On 5/21/2018 at 7:35 PM, millerla4 said:

I also use myfitnesspal app and I love it. 1 year out, goal met

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Had to check out myfitnesspal, downloaded and looks like it will be very useful - thanks for the tip!

19 hours ago, Ernie D said:

I work in the same kind of office food everywhere I literally mean that I am in Sales for a food Distributor.

I also think we all emotionally eat/ate. 1 month inf from surgery and back to work now my 2nd week I find myself saying. I need to get some nutrition in me. I don't even say food anyone. When I say nutrition it reminds me I am taking care of my body and making good choices. I don't need the comfort foods anymore and they are most likely not good nutrition. Each day I make choices all day long. I could so easily have something I shouldn't but I put myself on this journey and am determined to see it through the best I can.

This is really insightful. If you don't mind me asking, was the switch from food to nutrition something that you thought about or something that naturally happened after the sleeve?

Honestly it just came to me as I was looking at what "nutrition" I needed at each stage, I embraced that instead of I need to eat etc. Trying to use new words for my new stomach. :D

On 5/20/2018 at 5:17 AM, SydneySleever said:

I've booked in for weekly visits post op with the nurse at my GPs clinic so trying to stay accountable.

you are doing it.

I also work in an office setting, mostly working at a computer in a very sedentary position.

I overcome this by planning and packing all of my meals. I track my meals on My FitnessPal and I schedule "walk time" in my calendar so that no one else tries to schedule things for me on top of it.

I avoid the inevitable Snacks that are in the break room because honestly I do not really want them. I see them. I look at them. I walk away. I no longer have that compulsive need to have some.

Full disclosure: about 3 weeks ago someone brought in cupcakes. I really, REALLY wanted one. So I took one. Had 1 bite and I was done with that. I actually threw a cupcake away! I had a brief moment of regret because I was WASTING perfectly good food, but that passed.

In my experience, my relationship with food has changed and not just because I've been following the post operative diet. My cravings and desire for food is just not there. I rarely get hungry and I can easily forget to eat if I don't keep an eye on the time and think about it.

One of my friends has "conversations" with food. She looks at something and says, "I like you, but do you like me?" If it's not good for her, she treats it that way--as an enemy to be avoided. It doesn't matter if you like cupcakes, say, do they like you? No . . . no, they don't.

I'll admit that I'm still in the process of retraining my habits. I have eaten all kinds of things that I shouldn't--but I do know I feel better when I eat correctly. That's something to remember all the time.

6 hours ago, Ernie D said:

Honestly it just came to me as I was looking at what "nutrition" I needed at each stage, I embraced that instead of I need to eat etc. Trying to use new words for my new stomach. :D

Love it!

2 hours ago, allwet said:

you are doing it.

Thanks allwet, the reassurance helps!

1 hour ago, S@ssen@ch said:

I also work in an office setting, mostly working at a computer in a very sedentary position.

I overcome this by planning and packing all of my meals. I track my meals on My FitnessPal and I schedule "walk time" in my calendar so that no one else tries to schedule things for me on top of it.

I avoid the inevitable Snacks that are in the break room because honestly I do not really want them. I see them. I look at them. I walk away. I no longer have that compulsive need to have some.

Full disclosure: about 3 weeks ago someone brought in cupcakes. I really, REALLY wanted one. So I took one. Had 1 bite and I was done with that. I actually threw a cupcake away! I had a brief moment of regret because I was WASTING perfectly good food, but that passed.

In my experience, my relationship with food has changed and not just because I've been following the post operative diet. My cravings and desire for food is just not there. I rarely get hungry and I can easily forget to eat if I don't keep an eye on the time and think about it.

So familiar with food waste guilt! I love the idea of blocking out calendar time for a walk, will definitely need to do that.

36 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

It doesn't matter if you like cupcakes, say, do they like you? No . . . no, they don't.

They definitely don't. I do like this idea of making food an animate object. Thanks for the tip!

I’m a month out and trying to figure out how to pack foods on my list versus trying to find something in the cafeteria at work. Let alone I usually eat at my desk while working/conf calls what not. Taking a daily lunch is just not an option for me.

I do better when I pack my own lunch. It’s a habit I’m trying to get in (most days at least). When I can walk extra during the day by either taking stairs, taking the long way to a meeting room etc. I also have my water bottle with me when ever I leave my desk. I try to drink a good portion during a meeting say 10 ozs over an hour meeting...

On 05/23/2018 at 15:16, RHCD said:

I’m a month out and trying to figure out how to pack foods on my list versus trying to find something in the cafeteria at work. Let alone I usually eat at my desk while working/conf calls what not. Taking a daily lunch is just not an option for me.

I do better when I pack my own lunch. It’s a habit I’m trying to get in (most days at least). When I can walk extra during the day by either taking stairs, taking the long way to a meeting room etc. I also have my Water bottle with me when ever I leave my desk. I try to drink a good portion during a meeting say 10 ozs over an hour meeting...
Love the sneaky extra exercise! Thanks for sharing, I feel like you described a bit chunk of my life!

I am a boredom eater. I still fight it but it’s not so hard anymore. Every time I think I want to eat ( and I know I don’t) I get busy.
18 months post op it’s up to me to control. Luckily I am never hungry so I follow a schedule for eating and drink Water in between. This has worked well so far. I am also chained to a desk 5 days a week 😖. I have heard over eaters anonymous really helps. Good luck!