Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery struggles

Hello everyone! I am 3 months post op. I have lost 52 lbs, 32 of those lbs being post surgery. But I feel as if the past month has been very difficult. I have been losing weight very slowly and I have even stalled. I have started at the gym and changing up what I eat to make sure I am doing things correctly. It is frightening because I want to make this work for me. I know it is a tool and I have to work with it. I am human and have not eaten perfectly after surgery but I am definitely trying. My motivation picks up and falls. I just want to reach my goal like any normal person lol.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice?

HW: 286.4

SW: 267.4

CW: 234.4

I think the best place to start is how far off of your diet plan are you going and what are you doing that your provider said not to? Are you eating foods you shouldn't, drinking before/during/after meals, drinking carbonated drinks, etc?

I think the best place to start is how far off of your diet plan are you going and what are you doing that your provider said not to? Are you eating foods you shouldn't, drinking before/during/after meals, drinking carbonated drinks, etc?

My provided diet plan is pretty vague, making t a little difficult to know how far off I am from what they might expect. I sometimes eat foods I shouldn’t but I am human and recognize those moments. I have kept it to a minimum and move on from those in a healthier fashion rather than continuing with the bad habits. I am also avoiding snacking & carbs. Those are huge triggers for me. I am not drinking liquids during meals, rather drinking liquids around my meals. No carbonated drinks. Sometimes juice but that’s like 4 oz once or twice a week. I know exercise is not as huge a factor as the dieting but I know the sedentary lifestyle has affected me tons. I am attempting a Keto type diet although I know I cannot reach the required amount of calories. Lack of bathroom use also affects my weight. I am trying to keep my foods as clean and healthy as possible.

GW: 150

-Charly

9 minutes ago, vsg_Charly said:

I know exercise is not as huge a factor as the dieting but I know the sedentary lifestyle has affected me tons.

My group thinks exercise is so crucial to success, they write our exercise requirements on a prescription pad every time they see us.

My group thinks exercise is so crucial to success, they write our exercise requirements on a prescription pad every time they see us.

I feel that it is essential but my program says do what you’d like as long as you do not hurt yourself. It is kind of up to you to make the choices on food and exercise. Not much guidance.

-Charly

1 minute ago, vsg_Charly said:

Not much guidance.

This might be a huge part of the problem. I wish your clinic did a better job.

Well..if you can't get your guidance from your clinic, maybe try some of the books for folks who have had bariatric surgery? There are a bunch of them out there that might be really helpful to you.

Wishing you the best.

I was told a plateau in weight loss is really normal. I’ve read to just give it a little time and you’ll start to see the lbs drop again :-).

Recommendations are to up your exercise just a little bit to boost yourself. Just keep doing what you’re supposed to and you should start to get right back on track.

Weight loss isn't linear. It's hard to accept that, cuz stalls suck!

You've lost about 2.67lbs per week. Average loss post surgery is anywhere between 2-4lbs per week. My doc says don't fret. In the end, everyone gets there around a very similar time. The ones that start early with a bang really taper off about midway and the ones who are slow and steady eventually catch them.

Hang in there. Find a good plan online. There are so many you can Google and read about--one that works for you and then come here and post often! Also, I second books like Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, etc.

I recently had a tough few weeks. I was eating more carbs and snacking at night and doubled my calories. To get back in control I just took it a day at a time and tried to see patterns that hurt me. For example at night my Snacks were yogurt and cheese, things that leave room for more snacking. I switched to 2-3 ounces of deli turkey and now I’m too full to eat more.

Same with meals, if you start with 3 or so ounces of dense Protein it’s really tough to eat much else. I also ramped up the exercise a lot by taking up jogging and some longer bike rides.

some guidance / rules from my program: eat protein first, then veggies and few or no carbs. For snacks only have protein, if protein doesn’t sound good then it’s just head hunger, no drinking within 30 mins of eating, get 60+ grams of protein a day and 64 oz Water, only have lean protein and track everything.

Stalls are super common and expected.

Hello everyone! I am 3 months post op. I have lost 52 lbs, 32 of those lbs being post surgery. But I feel as if the past month has been very difficult. I have been losing weight very slowly and I have even stalled. I have started at the gym and changing up what I eat to make sure I am doing things correctly. It is frightening because I want to make this work for me. I know it is a tool and I have to work with it. I am human and have not eaten perfectly after surgery but I am definitely trying. My motivation picks up and falls. I just want to reach my goal like any normal person lol.
Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice?

Take it one day at a time. Each day make better choices. But you lost 32 lbs POST surgery. That is awesome in my book!!! I should be submitted for pre authorization and haven't lost any weight. I feel like my doctor's program doesn't offer much support and I'm on my own. Not transferring the blame on my doctor of my failures but 37 years of poor eating isn't easy to kick.

Weight loss isn't linear. It's hard to accept that, cuz stalls suck!
You've lost about 2.67lbs per week. Average loss post surgery is anywhere between 2-4lbs per week. My doc says don't fret. In the end, everyone gets there around a very similar time. The ones that start early with a bang really taper off about midway and the ones who are slow and steady eventually catch them.
Hang in there. Find a good plan online. There are so many you can Google and read about--one that works for you and then come here and post often! Also, I second books like Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, etc.

What is the “similar time” standard?

HW 289
SW 262
CW ?
VSG 5/2/18 [emoji92]
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin

Calories vs Protein= Distress. I'm 5 week post op and lost 30 pounds since surgery. My daily calories should be between 500-600. I've been very good with my food selection. Sometimes I have to go over my calories like 610 or 620 in order to get at least 64 oz of Protein. This is my first stall and it makes you question your progress...am I eating too much, am I not eating enough,or should I increase my protein is causing distress lol. I started solids this week and I scales bounces back 210, 208, 210, and back to 208...the scale is playing with emotions,lol. I eat very little because the idea of pouch strecthing is a priority. I'm truly working hard to stay focus on my new sleeve. I've added Protein Bars to my regiment i.e. preimer protein or pure protein because the shakes don't work well my stomach. Can anyone give any advice or have had similar experiences. Thanks!

Show someone a little kindness each day~Miss Tee

7 hours ago, vsg_Charly said:

I sometimes eat foods I shouldn’t but I am human and recognize those moments.

I think this is probably a bigger part of the problem than you may realize. I would suggest that you start a food journal and keep very accurate notes on what you are eating and how much. You may want to buy a kitchen scale in order to weigh out your food to keep better notes. It is good that you are recognizing when you are doing things you shouldn't but recognition alone is not enough, you will need to make a concerted effort to change that behavior if you want to be successful. It seems like you may be excusing yourself for eating things you know you shouldn't. Remember the surgery is only a tool, there are no shortcuts or cheats here. You have to be willing to take personal responsibility to not "cheat" on your diet. If you have not received good guidance I would highly suggest you make an appointment with a bariatric nutritionist to get a meal plan set up. Good luck and I hope you are able to get back on track as quickly as possible.

I think this is probably a bigger part of the problem than you may realize. I would suggest that you start a food journal and keep very accurate notes on what you are eating and how much. You may want to buy a kitchen scale in order to weigh out your food to keep better notes. It is good that you are recognizing when you are doing things you shouldn't but recognition alone is not enough, you will need to make a concerted effort to change that behavior if you want to be successful. It seems like you may be excusing yourself for eating things you know you shouldn't. Remember the surgery is only a tool, there are no shortcuts or cheats here. You have to be willing to take personal responsibility to not "cheat" on your diet. If you have not received good guidance I would highly suggest you make an appointment with a bariatric nutritionist to get a meal plan set up. Good luck and I hope you are able to get back on track as quickly as possible.

Believe me, I am conscious of my crappy decision making. After the surgery, I was not having any ill effects if I ate a trigger food or something that I knew was not favorable. I would not binge or anything crazy, but I would still have some which was much more than I should have had at all. But the fact that I now know I was going down the wrong road is what gave me the confidence to post that statement whatsoever. I have a kitchen scale. I don’t weigh EVERYTHING (I am not going to weigh the 1 slice of chopped onion or the 1 leaf of lettuce) because I think it is overkill. But I do weigh out my big components like the Proteins and veggies. I haven’t been having carbs so that doesn’t even exist in my diet anymore. What I am saying is I am not perfect and I will mess up. BUT I am now conscious of where I what I was doing wrong. I am making sure it is a mess up 1 day out of 6 months - 1 year rather than messing up every week or multiple times a week and letting it become a habit again. That is what got me to my presurgery weight in the first place. We all know this is difficult. We would not have had the surgery if we didn’t have some kind of issues controlling our food intake in the first place. But I am not going to excuse myself for messing up either. I choose to pick up and continue moving forward.

Now, I used to track perfectly. Not so much anymore. That is definitely something I need to start doing and I am beyond grateful that you mentioned it. I forgot how important and impactful tracking everything is. I weigh my food and use the plate method but never really wrote it down to get the overall picture of what my post surgery diet is looking like. I have not had more than my stomach would allow. I have corrected my diet and started moving my Buns more. Now I just feel stuck.

-Charly

This might be a huge part of the problem. I wish your clinic did a better job.
Well..if you can't get your guidance from your clinic, maybe try some of the books for folks who have had bariatric surgery? There are a bunch of them out there that might be really helpful to you.
Wishing you the best.

Do you have any book suggestions? Love a good read. Thank you!

-Charly