Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve surgery and acid reflux, got worse or better?

3 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Before you ever consider the Linx either pm me or ask me again on here. it's not the sunshining process it seems. This I do know about, okay?

I was only looking into it in case I needed it should I develop constant reflux after a sleeve surgery. I have heard it can be a difficult surgery ( I follow a Facebook group for linx patients). It seems like scar tissue and pooling are a challenge in the beginning. The doctor told me its all usually short term. Have you had the linx surgery? Thanks for the info!

I had Barrett’s esophagus disease well early stages and with my sleeve it resolved itself

no but a doctor in my locale did them, he's retired now, one of the first in Ohio.
I might as well tell you about it instead postponing it. The linx is a band containing strong magnets. Its placed at the base of the esophagus right above the stomach on the outside surface. All sounds good, the strength of the magnets keep any juices in the stomach, so no reflux. Ah but there is a dark side, to So,ithis you never be able to vomit again, no matter how sick you feel. And if you accidentally (or intentionally) take in something toxic or poisonous, there is no way to remove it. I'm not sure if you can even pass an endoscopy tube down throughall those strong magnet. No I did not and never would i have that,procedure.

I had Barrett’s esophagus disease well early stages and with my sleeve it resolved itself

One dr told me it was almost the same surgery....however, my surgeon wants me to have bypass bc my bad acid reflux....he didn’t say anything about Nissen fundoplication (my husband had it...for AR not sleeve for weight loss) I wasn’t going to have bypass (I told myself) but I actually feel peace about it. My surgery is on the 31st...

I was quite concerned about acid reflux as well. At my consultation, my doctor told me to go with bypass if I had regular acid reflux. Otherwise, he'd recommend the gastric sleeve. I had a very large hiatal hernia. He said he was 99% certain that was what my occasional reflux was from and that after the repair I should be fine. I'm on PPIs for 6 months during healing. But, it is widely known that it is possible to have bad reflux about 2 years after. However, most of those cases are from unhealthy eating habits.

I'm 2 weeks post op with no reflux issues right now, but I'm on meds as well.

Three years on since I was sleeved and now severely suffering from acid reflux and advised to have the bypass.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

Year out from sleeve. Had horrendous acid reflux before surgery and haven’t had one episode of it after!! It has been fortunate for me.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:58 PM, DesertGirl said:

However, most of those cases are from unhealthy eating habits.

This is definitely one of the causes. I slid back and fortunately didn’t have anything, but I know if I kept it up, it’ll become an issue. Before surgery, it was so bad and I knew it was food related when my gastroenterologist put me on a bland healthier diet and it cleared up.

I had an upper GI yesterday and they found severe reflux. Haven't spoken with my doctor yet to see what he wants to do. They tried to take me off omeprazole a month after surgery, but I only made it 4 hours before I called and asked them to give me a new prescription. Within a couple of days, I was back to twice a day, where I am now. Even with that, I take a fair number of Tums, like at 5am this morning because the acid is still too high. UGH!

5 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I had an upper GI yesterday and they found severe reflux. Haven't spoken with my doctor yet to see what he wants to do. They tried to take me off omeprazole a month after surgery, but I only made it 4 hours before I called and asked them to give me a new prescription. Within a couple of days, I was back to twice a day, where I am now. Even with that, I take a fair number of Tums, like at 5am this morning because the acid is still too high. UGH!

I hope it's just from being not far out from surgery, I know its terrible. I had it constantly even with meds right after my lap band surgery. It took about 3-6 months for me to be medicine free. I hope that's what will occur for you. Hopefull, its just swelling.

On 5/15/2018 at 2:30 PM, Jenlo said:

I am about 95% against bypass due to the NSAIDS issue. I pray I do not need to do that.

What issue is there with NSAIDS that is not the same for sleeve and bypass? I thought you had to stay off NSAIDS for both procedures.

5 minutes ago, Jenlo said:

I hope it's just from being not far out from surgery, I know its terrible. I had it constantly even with meds right after my lap band surgery. It took about 3-6 months for me to be medicine free. I hope that's what will occur for you. Hopefull, its just swelling.

I would have thought the swelling should be gone by now? No? I'll be 12 weeks on Monday.

4 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

What issue is there with NSAIDS that is not the same for sleeve and bypass? I thought you had to stay off NSAIDS for both procedures.

I have been told by my doctor that it's a big No with bypass and a small no on sleeve as long as you take an acid reducer with it. I am assuming with bypass the ulceration is higher especially since things leave your stomach quicker.

2 minutes ago, Jenlo said:

I have been told by my doctor that it's a big No with bypass and a small no on sleeve as long as you take an acid reducer with it. I am assuming with bypass the ulceration is higher especially since things leave your stomach quicker.

I got a big No from my doctor and I have a sleeve. Guess it all depends on your doc!

4 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I would have thought the swelling should be gone by now? No? I'll be 12 weeks on Monday.

Everyone is different and swelling can last for months but it did go away over time for me. If you are not already try and drink warm liquids at least once or twice a day. I had to do that with the lapband and it eases up the swelling. I mean your stomach can be fine one day but then you could maybe eat to much etc. and the next day swelling again. I have been drinking warm Bone Broth the last few weeks and I think it is why I am getting less heartburn now. I am not currently taking my protonix everyday. I just chew gaviscon when I need it. I went years with the lapband without it. And then the last 2 years I have gotten heartburn even with the lapband out. I pretty much think mine is only triggered by carbonation, alcohol and bending a lot after eating.