Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Thoughts- Sleeved May 1

I wanted to tell you all what I experienced, because I know how helpful it was to view others stories pre-op. I was sleeved May1st. I had to check in at 6:15 am. Surgery was at 7:30. I can remember they gave me an anesthesia cocktail as I was leaving my pre-op room and I don't even remember actually being wheeled in to the surgery room. The procedure lasted 30 minutes and my surgeon said it was boring and went without a hitch. I woke up in the post op recovery room in pain and nauseous and they drugged me up. I made it up to my room about 10:00am. I immediately went to the restroom and walked around. They had warned me that I might need a catheter, but I didn't get one, because they thought I would be capable of getting up. I remember between the hours of 12-6 having severe pain under my rib cage. Like almost crying pain. I found the pain pills to be hard to swallow. The first one actually got stuck and it took me 5 hours to get the other others down. In the mean time, I was given Toradol through my IV and that really helped. I got that 3 times and it was like a miracle for pain relief. TIP: stuff your pill pieces into Jello and swallow it. The oxycotin was the easiest to swallow. I walked every 4 hours and and my husband slipped me gas strips as often as I asked for them. The gas pains are terrible!!! My blood pressure was hypertensive going into surgery and never got above 120/70. It even went down to 106/66 the day that I left. ****I was not and am not hungry****. I never finished my broth, jello or G2 at any meal that I received. I did have SF popsicles 4 times during my stay. I spent 1 overnight and on Day 2 felt so much better. I woke up around 5 and got up and walked. I took a shower. I can honestly tell you that I felt 100% better. This is Day 3 post-op and I am now home. I wore my leg compressions overnight. I drove my kids to school this morning and then came home and took my pain pills. I'm keeping a log of my Water intake. One take-away is to pick a good hospital that specializes in bariatric care. I was treated so well and felt like I was in good hands at all times. Everyone that came to see me echoed that sentiment. Another take-away is that gas pains are no joke. Invest in gas strips. Don't be shy about asking for pain meds. My nurses were on top of it. I have had the support of family and friends on this journey. Don't go this alone. If you have any questions, please post while this experience is fresh on my mind.

What are gas strips?

3 minutes ago, browneyez42 said:

What are gas strips?

They are gas-x extra strength dissolvable gas strips. They melt on your tongue. They really help and freshen your breath. The gas pains are really as bad as they say they are. I ordered mine from Amazon.

They are gas-x extra strength dissolvable gas strips. They melt on your tongue. They really help and freshen your breath. The gas pains are really as bad as they say they are. I ordered mine from Amazon.

Thanks. I'm still popping Gas-X like tic tacs!

I’m glad to hear this since I’m going in for VSG on 5/10! One question though: was it gas pain or the pain from the co2 they pump in during the surgery?
Also, my doctor only starts you out on Tylenol because they said most people don’t need pain meds. I think that sounds like bs. Thoughts on that?

HW: 311
CW: 258
SW: We’ll see on May 10!
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

13 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

I’m glad to hear this since I’m going in for VSG on 5/10! One question though: was it gas pain or the pain from the co2 they pump in during the surgery?
Also, my doctor only starts you out on Tylenol because they said most people don’t need pain meds. I think that sounds like bs. Thoughts on that?

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

A few things here. My incisions were high up and the velcro band that they wrapped my stomach up in got bunched up on that top incision- so that could have been adding to my pain. All of my pain was high up in my chest. Like around the breast bone. I think the gas pain was from the CO2. Wrong on the pain meds... I needed them; as well as, nausea meds as soon as I woke up in recovery. I even got the stomach nerve block during surgery and it wore off 4-6 hours after I made it to my room. I used pain pills as frequently as I could that first day. It was oxycotin and hydrocodone. I was in pain and walked and used the restroom almost immediately when I got to my room. The turning point was when they would give me a shot of Toradol in my IV. It really helped!!! My surgeon described it as ADVIL on steroids. I got 3 of those and they were wonderful. I'm now at home with hydrocodone. I have only used 3 of them. I felt 100% better that second day in the hospital and I really attribute to walking frequently and the Toradol.

A few things here. My incisions were high up and the velcro band that they wrapped my stomach up in got bunched up on that top incision- so that could have been adding to my pain. All of my pain was high up in my chest. Like around the breast bone. I think the gas pain was from the CO2. Wrong on the pain meds... I needed them; as well as, nausea meds as soon as I woke up in recovery. I even got the stomach nerve block during surgery and it wore off 4-6 hours after I made it to my room. I used pain pills as frequently as I could that first day. It was oxycotin and hydrocodone. I was in pain and walked and used the restroom almost immediately when I got to my room. The turning point was when they would give me a shot of Toradol in my IV. It really helped!!! My surgeon described it as ADVIL on steroids. I got 3 of those and they were wonderful. I'm now at home with hydrocodone. I have only used 3 of them. I felt 100% better that second day in the hospital and I really attribute to walking frequently and the Toradol.

I figured the painkillers would be needed. I’m not a wuss, but you’re making 5 incisions and taking out an organ after all! They do give you pain meds, but you have to ASK for them and then remember to keep asking. I’m honestly dreading the nausea more than the pain. Now that they give you four different meds for, so hopefully it won’t be a huge problem.
Thank you thank you thank you for helping me out! I hope you continue to feel better and better. Keep me posted on how you’re doing. :)

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

6 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

I figured the painkillers would be needed. I’m not a wuss, but you’re making 5 incisions and taking out an organ after all! They do give you pain meds, but you have to ASK for them and then remember to keep asking. I’m honestly dreading the nausea more than the pain. Now that they give you four different meds for, so hopefully it won’t be a huge problem.
Thank you thank you thank you for helping me out! I hope you continue to feel better and better. Keep me posted on how you’re doing. :)

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

I am still wearing the pre-surgery nausea patch still. I plan on taking it off on Saturday. I think that it helped, but like I said I woke up nauseous. It was no fun!! They got rid of it by meds in my IV. My nurses checked on me every 4 hours and were on top of any pain or nausea that I had. I will keep you posted. May 10th will be here before you know it!

The anti nausea patch will make your mouth drier than a bowl of popcorn, blur your vision so
much you'll swear,somebody put their fingers on the lens.
Life is a series of trade-offs, you give up one thing,to receive others. Status quo exhists only in your dreams.